Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times

Advertisements

No one is a heretic, until they have heresy thrown upon them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 04:51 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The Holy Bible is a complete and accurate book. Denying parts of scripture, like the account of Sodom and Gomorrah being overthrown with fire and brimstone, is a clear indication of heresy -- and heresy is a work of the flesh; those who engage in it will not inherit the kingdom of God. It is written.
I did not deny that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed.

Let's start with some basics.

Abraham and Isaac: Did Abraham sacrifice Isaac? No. God wanted to show his people that he worked differently than the pagan gods. He wasn't interested in torture, and he wasn't interested in sacrifices. In fact, later in the Old Testament God says that he would much rather have mercy than sacrifice!! The pagan gods had underworlds full of fire and torture. The Hebrew God did NOT. The Old Testament is filled with references to a quiet place after death for everybody. In fact, Job wanted to DIE to get away from God. Job 14:13 If only you would hide me in the grave and conceal me till your anger has passed! If only you would set me a time and then remember me!

The entire Old Testament is a record of man's spiritual struggles. They learned as they went along. They started out with things that were very simple and then progressed to higher things. Well, at least, they were supposed to. Jesus showed up to tell them that he wasn't interested in eye for an eye. He corrected the people of the Old Testament. He said to love our enemies and to do good to those who hate us, and we will be just like our Father!! Why the switcheroo? Because, it was time for us to learn mercy. Well, at least we were supposed to.

This is just one piece of many pieces of the puzzle that tradition has never understood. Tradition wants to stand where the people of the Old Testament stood, and they protect themselves by attaching to a political machine, which does anything but love it's enemies and turn the other cheek, and they end up protecting only themselves and people who agree with them. The "church" is part of a sinking ship. But, the scriptures give us a much bigger story with a much higher purpose to all of this.

God IS fire, and his throne has a stream of fire coming forth from it (Daniel 7:10). This is not a literal fire. This is a spiritual fire, and it will consume all darkness that touches it. What a beautiful day that will be!!

Last edited by herefornow; 10-16-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let me try one more time: Would you mind showing me where I said it is a good thing?

Show me, or admit you made a false claim.
Okay Fin ... Then i guess that must mean that you think the divine judgment of God is an evil thing.

Its one or the other ... Which is it? Is the divine judgment of God good or evil?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:43 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The Holy Bible is a complete and accurate book. Denying parts of scripture, like the account of Sodom and Gomorrah being overthrown with fire and brimstone, is a clear indication of heresy -- and heresy is a work of the flesh; those who engage in it will not inherit the kingdom of God. It is written.
Indeed, and I see people here deny more and more of the scriptures and coming up with all kinds of excuses to ignore what the Bible says. The best I heard today was someone try to explain that he/she has the Holy Spirit so he/she can tell the errors in the Bible from the truth. This way they can cherry pick convenient verses while using this excuse to ignore the rest. Unbelievable....

Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Okay Fin ... Then i guess that must mean that you think the divine judgment of God is an evil thing.
You can guess all you want. If you refuse to back up your false claim, then this conversation is over.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:57 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
Indeed, and I see people here deny more and more of the scriptures and coming up with all kinds of excuses to ignore what the Bible says. The best I heard today was someone try to explain that he/she has the Holy Spirit so he/she can tell the errors in the Bible from the truth. This way they can cherry pick convenient verses while using this excuse to ignore the rest. Unbelievable....

The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, love, joy, peace. Just repeat this as you read the Bible. In fact, meditate on it all day every day, and you will finally start to understand the character of the God you serve.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:03 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:
You can guess all you want. If you refuse to back up your false claim, then this conversation is over.
What ever Finn ...

And by the way, i never said that you SAID it was a good thing. I said ...

Quote:
Your talking about burning people alive LIKE it is a good thing!

Old 10-17-2010, 02:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Man made Religion is an immortal blemish of mankind, self-perpetuating from extinction through a system of indoctrinations which are taught by those who have accommodated themselves within a regime of thought laid down by their predecessors. The individual who is more robust than most will be encouraged by the SPIRIT to leave these organized establishments of thought, least they make a covenant or mutual agreement with the inhabitants of the land; whose love for others and for truth has grown cold in their Eternal Damnation's or insistence upon the Annihilation of all things, including people, with the exception of themselves. Arrogance invites ruin, but humility receives benefits. Jesus said, "Follow Me." He did not say to chase after the doctrines of men, and their demons. Rather, it is the SPIRIT who is the true and living teacher, which is contrary to popular opinion but fear not, for every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess to the Glory of the Father, even if it is in humility; an avenue to glory. Who or what is His glorified body? WE ARE HIS GLORIFIED BODY, the temple of the SPIRIT! Christ will bathe the depths of humanity in the brightness of His Presence and all ADVERSITY will fall from power. Because one is not consciously aware of this, does not mean it is excluded.

"There is no forgiveness without love, and no love without forgiveness; for what power has love, but forgiveness."
Nice post!
Last night, my wife and I had to "re-learn" forgiveness, and it was beautiful! The story of the prodigal son keeps getting repeated and repeated in the world, and God is getting all the glory for it!
I saw a pastor last night who was preaching hell (sigh!), and I thought, "when he truly learns God's forgiveness in HIS OWN life, his WHOLE message will change!!"

Forgive, and ye shall be forgiven. Be merciful, and ye shall receive mercy.

Blessings!
Brian

Old 10-17-2010, 03:21 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I never thought of our minds as insane asylums, but I guess a lot of us are imprisoned there.

I'm always thinking of those thousands of people locked up in mental institutions; unloved, unlovable, mad with fear, guilt, anger, and torment. I wish so badly for their minds to be freed. But, I guess there are a lot of people on the "outside" who are just as tormented, only they keep the mask on better so noone will see the truth.
Yes, most people are wearing a mask to hide their fear from others until they are set free from fear by the power of Christ. I recently re-listened to a book called "The Power of Now" which I find to be a truly incredible spiritual book. In it, the author demonstrates how the human mind can be on a sort of non-stop treadmill, churning out continuous bad thoughts until we realize that 'WE ARE NOT OUR MINDS'. For anyone interested in the book, the author is Ekharte Tolle.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
I was replying to your words where you said you did not believe the people in Sodom were alive when God burned them. Here are your words "You see God burning the folk of Sodom and Gomorrah alive, i don't" - Pcamps

After all, isn't burning people alive the topic of this thread?
Finn you have a habit of misquoting folk .

I said you see God burning people i don't. I just disagree with you on the intent of burning Sodom and Gomorrah

A clear example of what i mean by what a person sees is "Jesus saw the lost has sheep without a shepherd", unfortunately organized religion sees the very same people as sinners.

Jesus also said to James and John "you don't know what spirit you are of" for suggesting fire be called down from heaven.

It's also laughable to hear posters shouting "heresy" , if you have a look back in history , you will find those who were shouting such stuff were the ones persecuting those who were not in heresy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity