Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be called a Christian if you do not believe the OT?
Yes, you can. 20 43.48%
No, you cannot. 24 52.17%
I personally do not know. 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Well, stick with what fancies you. Of course, you will be left without excuse, when you meet your Maker. Your choice, as always.
Yes, thank you, I will.
Heatherism is all about love, laughter, understanding, and being good to one another. I don't threaten people nor do I understand others who do.
Peace to you and good luck to you on your journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:27 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,161,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
None of us have an excuse because we have a conscience. When we meet our creator he will judge us by our words, by our consciences. All of us. Sowing and reaping, sowing and reaping. Everybody. This includes ET Christians.
Actually, He will judge us based upon our standing IN and THROUGH His Son. All the sowing and reaping will get you,,,, is food.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,161,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yes, thank you, I will.
Heatherism is all about love, laughter, understanding, and being good to one another. I don't threaten people nor do I understand others who do.
Peace to you and good luck to you on your journey.
Thank you, and yours as well.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,203,254 times
Quote:
Actually, He will judge us based upon our standing IN and THROUGH His Son. All the sowing and reaping will get you,,,, is food.

Here, we have Christ speaking to a servant of his: His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Galatians 6:7. Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Not only un-believers are told to be careful about what they sow.

Using Jesus as an umbrella won't help. There will be Christians who end up just like the Pharisees who said "But, our Father, Abraham" (kicked out of the kingdom, wandering and searching in the "desert", now). Only the Christian will say, "But our messiah, Jesus".......

Last edited by herefornow; 11-28-2010 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,942,657 times
Young children and those who die shortly after birth know nothing of the OT writings. They also know nothing about the NT scriptures. As far as I can tell, they do not know anything about Jesus either.

And yet, Jesus told us that everyone who enters the Kingdom is born of the Spirit in the exact same way.

Joh 3:8 the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.'

So, to answer your question: No, you do not need to know anything about scripture (or even Jesus) in order to be born of the Spirit. Becoming a Christian (being born of the Spirit) is by the Sovereignty of Jesus' Spirit. And nothing else.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,933 times
Quote:
Because these people who believe in UR are claiming to BE Christians. They are discounting the OT, and even Yahweh our Father. They are on this forum all the day long, battling with people who actually DO believe what the bible says, from front to back. They are quick to pull one liners from the OT, yet discount God when it suits them. Personally, I am getting sick of it. It is coming to the point where TRUE believers must take a stand, and defend the Word. ALL OF IT.

"""Many will say to me on that day...'Lord, Lord'"".-Jesus

I suppose that is the point, isn't it?

Well, there are certain guidelines to being called a Christian. One of them is to actually believe in God the Father, and His Word,,not just on the Son. How does one believe in the Son, yet not the Father? It really is mind boggling.

More disingenuous rhetoric ...

I believe the old testament is inspired, that does not mean however that i believe everything in the old testament correctly communicates the character and nature of God and his relationship to humanity.

Christ clearly contradicted and corrected the law of eye for an eye which is in the old testament, and though Paul said all scripture is inspired, the write of Hebrews also said that the old testament/covenant was not faultless ...

Hebrews 8:6-13
6But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises."

7For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

I believe Jehovah is God, but it is obvious that Christ fully represents the true nature and character of Jehovah, and the old testament does not, so that those who were blinded by the veil in their reading of the old testament could not see that Christ was God in the flesh, or the messiah come. Because he taught to love our enemies where the old testament taught to hate them, and he taught not to return evil for evil where the old testament taught to return evil for evil in like measure without pity or mercy.

This is why Israel stumbled at the stumbling stone which is Christ, and this is why to this day even many of them who say lord lord draw close to him with their mouth but are far from him in their hearts, because they do not believe in or desire mercy for those who are enemies, but they desire vengeance and retribution and wrath, that God should return evil for evil, and hate them.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 11-28-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,672,388 times
If you believe (and I do) that the books of Moses were written by inspiration of God, then you believe (and I do) that the writings of the prophets were also from God, because the law and the prophets speak the same things, and such things only the Holy Ghost could teach...and, if we, with a divine faith believe the Old Testament to be a revelation from God (which I do), we cannot question the divine authority of the New, when we consider how exactly the histories of the old agree with the prophecies of the new, and how the dark types and shadows of the law are illustrated and accomplished in the gospel.

It is no wonder that there is so deep a confusion in knowing and understanding God's heart, His truth, His whole truth, His complete will for your lives.....when you reject knowing wholy, completely Who He truly is and wholy, and completely what He expects of you. To reject the Old Testament...you reject knowing Him. It is obvious that you who reject the Old Testament do not...(know Who He is that is.)

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
I'm only guessing here, but the term "Christian" implies a belief in Christ, does it not?

Then you don't have to believe anything out of a book.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:46 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times
What is Heatherism? I've heard of Heathenism.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:51 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,640,225 times
Quote:

Well, there are certain guidelines to being called a Christian. One of them is to actually believe in God the Father, and His Word,,not just on the Son. How does one believe in the Son, yet not the Father? It really is mind boggling.
Who here has claimed they don't believe in God and still claims to be a Christian? You have taken your argument with Ironmaw and others and started a new thread just to twist what was being said by UR's. You have an agenda to discredit UR's as being Christian simply because you don't agree, even though at one point you very much agreed with UR. Stop being so darn wishy-washy and pointing fingers because you can't make up your own mind as to what YOU believe.

UR's believe in God, just not YOUR version of Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity