Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be called a Christian if you do not believe the OT?
Yes, you can. 20 43.48%
No, you cannot. 24 52.17%
I personally do not know. 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:41 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,157,245 times

Advertisements

It really is quite simple. There are some on here claiming to be Christians, who discount the OT and even Yahweh as God the Father.

So, can a person discount the OT and still claim to be a Christian?

I know what a Christian is, but I also know what Paul said:

ALL Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,665,493 times
No. You absolutely cannot. Period.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
I don't feel any writing is necessary to my belief as it is.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times
Why does it matter what people choose to call themselves? You can view them however you would like to - but you have no control over how someone views themselves. If someone feels they are a Christian and calls themself a Christian - why does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Why does it matter what people choose to call themselves?
Because these people who believe in UR are claiming to BE Christians. They are discounting the OT, and even Yahweh our Father. They are on this forum all the day long, battling with people who actually DO believe what the bible says, from front to back. They are quick to pull one liners from the OT, yet discount God when it suits them. Personally, I am getting sick of it. It is coming to the point where TRUE believers must take a stand, and defend the Word. ALL OF IT.

Quote:
You can view them however you would like to - but you have no control over how someone views themselves.
"""Many will say to me on that day...'Lord, Lord'"".-Jesus

I suppose that is the point, isn't it?

Quote:
If someone feels they are a Christian and calls themself a Christian - why does it matter what anyone else thinks?
Well, there are certain guidelines to being called a Christian. One of them is to actually believe in God the Father, and His Word,,not just on the Son. How does one believe in the Son, yet not the Father? It really is mind boggling.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times
I'm sorry - I didn't realize that there was a written test that one had to pass in order for you to recognize them as a fellow Christian.
Why is there so much anger and animosity here? It really baffles me. People have different beliefs. You consider yourself a Christian. They consider themselves Christians. You believe different things. You both think you are right with all your hearts. You can either agree to disagree and let the cards fall where they may - or you can hate, bash, and be cruel to each other.
There is a thread on the main R&P forum about Christians and non Christians being able to be friends with each other. I guess the real question would be can Christians be friends with other Christians. It seems that more time is spent trying to say that others aren't "true" Christians than is actually trying to understand and respect others.
I think I'll stick with Heatherism.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think I'll stick with Heatherism.
Well, stick with what fancies you. Of course, you will be left without excuse, when you meet your Maker. Your choice, as always.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,221,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Because these people who believe in UR are claiming to BE Christians. They are discounting the OT, and even Yahweh our Father. They are on this forum all the day long, battling with people who actually DO believe what the bible says, from front to back. They are quick to pull one liners from the OT, yet discount God when it suits them. Personally, I am getting sick of it. It is coming to the point where TRUE believers must take a stand, and defend the Word. ALL OF IT.

"""Many will say to me on that day...'Lord, Lord'"".-Jesus

I suppose that is the point, isn't it?

Well, there are certain guidelines to being called a Christian. One of them is to actually believe in God the Father, and His Word,,not just on the Son. How does one believe in the Son, yet not the Father? It really is mind boggling.
Where does it say you must believe in "and his word"? Did the bible spell out what books were to be included in "his word", did it say which translation is correct, did it give a glossary of words and terms?

One can believe that Jesus is the son of God and died for us, that makes them a Christian. Not a list of guidelines and rules made up 300 or 400 years later.

The reason Jesus said " """Many will say to me on that day...'Lord, Lord'"".-Jesus" is because he was talking about the rule makers, many people still try and say that following Gods law (and the new man made versions) are what gets one to heaven, he was setting them straight about what was to come. His work on the cross is what saves people, not works.

BTW, don't bother with the UR debate with me, I am not UR, just someone who believes salvation is from God, not man.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,221,497 times
Quote:
Well, stick with what fancies you. Of course, you will be left without excuse, when you meet your Maker. Your choice, as always.
Actually it is Gods choice.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,197,965 times
Quote:
None of us have an excuse because we have a conscience. When we meet our creator he will judge us by our words, by our consciences. All of us. Sowing and reaping, sowing and reaping. Everybody. This includes ET Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity