Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times

Advertisements

Here is what Deuteronomy 25:11-12 says,

"If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity. "

Don't you think that is a little harsh? Have you ever known this law to be inforced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
I think you and I are on the same page Hiker as far as the OT.....pretty harsh just doesn't do that justice!! I dare someone to cut off my hand if I was to grab some jerkwad by the balls that deserved it!! I wish MysticPHd would jump in here because he feels the same way about he OT but always puts it much more eloquently. Something about primitive ancestors.....

Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 PM

58 posts, read 100,721 times
That was before Jesus. It was a different time and culture.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:33 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Then why do you even have the Old Testament attached to your New Testament????? If its primitive and not important why do you have it at all???

Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianotampa View Post
It is also the book you use to prove and show that Jesus is your messiah. If its so primitive how could it possible be used to prove the Christian Messiah?

Cherry picking again???

Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I think you and I are on the same page Hiker as far as the OT.....pretty harsh just doesn't do that justice!! I dare someone to cut off my hand if I was to grab some jerkwad by the balls that deserved it!! I wish MysticPHd would jump in here because he feels the same way about he OT but always puts it much more eloquently. Something about primitive ancestors.....

Yes the Old Testament writings are a bit harsh. Luckily its not used as law, but it is still used to prove Christian theology. It is a book that Christians attach to their NT and pull it out all the time to prove what they believe.

Either is is a primitive book and not worth the paper its written on or its part of your Scripture.....

Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 PM

Well JazzyMom I realize you're an atheist and you don't get it....I don't either, not totally. The OT has always been a thorn in my side so to speak....I guess maybe it goes back to my uber religious fanatic father and the beatings I took over it. Tends to make a person question things like the OP mentioned. However, there are many truths and things to be learned from the OT, normal writings and not the writings of madmen. It's a matter of discernment. I believe it was God-inspired but I'm not so sure that all of the writers were able to separate the carnal man from the spirtual man. It's lacking, therefore the need for the NT and Jesus Christ.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Yes the Old Testament writings are a bit harsh. Luckily its not used as law, but it is still used to prove Christian theology. It is a book that Christians attach to their NT and pull it out all the time to prove what they believe.

Either is is a primitive book and not worth the paper its written on or its part of your Scripture.....
These "either/or" . . . "all or nothing" . . . "black or white" . . . assertions are childish. The primitive and savage nature of the OT recordings is indisputable. The stories speak for themselves to an enlightened 21st Century mind. BUT . . . just because our ignorant primitive ancestors wrote their superstitious ignorant understanding of the inspirations they received is no reason to disregard them. The purpose of intelligence and advanced knowledge is to bring clarity to earlier misunderstandings.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianotampa View Post
Could you tell this to all the whack-job fundies who continually quote Leviticus as to why homosexuality is evil? After all if it was a different time in Deuteronomy then certainly it was a different time in Leviticus.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
These "either/or" . . . "all or nothing" . . . "black or white" . . . assertions are childish. The primitive and savage nature of the OT recordings is indisputable. The stories speak for themselves to an enlightened 21st Century mind. BUT . . . just because our ignorant primitive ancestors wrote their superstitious ignorant understanding of the inspirations they received is no reason to disregard them. The purpose of intelligence and advanced knowledge is to bring clarity to earlier misunderstandings.
Yeah!! What he said!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity