Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Could you tell this to all the whack-job fundies who continually quote Leviticus as to why homosexuality is evil? After all if it was a different time in Deuteronomy then certainly it was a different time in Leviticus.
that's right Rev, it WAS a different time, and our time reflects such. Boy this OT thing just keeps getting crazier and crazier....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Here is what Deuteronomy 25:11-12 says,

"If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity. "

Don't you think that is a little harsh? Have you ever known this law to be inforced?
It would be if you just look at the verse from the earthly perspective. But then again that is where Jesus separates those of the Spirit (Heaven above) and those of the flesh (earth below).

Old 12-24-2010, 05:22 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,053 times
I always thought one of the reason Jesus came was to clear up nonsense like this...I think His teachings did that,even if we are not privy to all of them.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:42 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
This judgement in Deutoronomy 25 from the Book of Moses has no prophetic call from the Lord God and no Ten Commandment to support the Judgement....... Sounds like some Islamic saudi Arabia type judgement, which is stange because , the temple in the wilderness were Moses is believed to bring the people from Egypt is in the land of Midian, which is in Saudi Arabia............

Old 12-24-2010, 06:26 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
These "either/or" . . . "all or nothing" . . . "black or white" . . . assertions are childish. The primitive and savage nature of the OT recordings is indisputable. The stories speak for themselves to an enlightened 21st Century mind. BUT . . . just because our ignorant primitive ancestors wrote their superstitious ignorant understanding of the inspirations they received is no reason to disregard them. The purpose of intelligence and advanced knowledge is to bring clarity to earlier misunderstandings.

You either accept the Old Testament as divine or you don't. It it is a book you take your Christian prophecies from it. It was an ancient people living in a different time. They didn't act much different then the rest of the world at the time. I agree life was primitive, and it was the ancient world. Life and people can behave in primitive ways now.

My point is you have this book attached to the NT and you use it to prove the messiah and end time beliefs.

My assertions are not childish. You can't have it both ways. Either the book is from G-d or not. Either its full of ignorance or its not. You are cherry picking. The book is full of prophetic writings and so either they are prophets or they are not.

My stance is not childish.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 12-24-2010 at 06:36 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well JazzyMom I realize you're an atheist and you don't get it....I don't either, not totally. The OT has always been a thorn in my side so to speak....I guess maybe it goes back to my uber religious fanatic father and the beatings I took over it. Tends to make a person question things like the OP mentioned. However, there are many truths and things to be learned from the OT, normal writings and not the writings of madmen. It's a matter of discernment. I believe it was God-inspired but I'm not so sure that all of the writers were able to separate the carnal man from the spirtual man. It's lacking, therefore the need for the NT and Jesus Christ.
Hi Ilene,

I am not an atheist I am a Jew. I have several Jewish and Christian Bible in my home that I read. I believe in G-d and I understand the readings of my Hebrew scripture in a non literal way.

There is much in the book that bothers me but I look at it (or try to) from the time it was written and to see who it was being written for. I did not grow up in a religious home. But my father was a theologian who had a pHD in early church history. So religion was a subject we talked about in my home, but not on a doctrinal level.

My point is the book is full of many different types of writings and it was written in a time that was vastly different then ours. It was written by many many different people over a period of time. I tend to agree that there is much in the Hebrew Scripture that is awful. But I also see good in the stories.

What I have issue with is that Christians on the one hand use it to prove their theology and prophecies and messiah, then they slam it as a ignorant book full of primitive writings.

It seems to me if that is the case why not just only have the NT and leave the OT?

Old 12-24-2010, 09:03 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

I am not an atheist I am a Jew.
Jazzy, have you read the book 'Jews, God, and History' written by Max Dimont?

It is fantastic. It tells about Jewish history in the context of Western history. I'm not Jewish, but I read the book three times because it is so good.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Jazzy, have you read the book 'Jews, God, and History' written by Max Dimont?

It is fantastic. It tells about Jewish history in the context of Western history. I'm not Jewish, but I read the book three times because it is so good.

Yes I have and it was wonderful!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
I would love to see this argument, and others like this one, moderated by a team of debate judges . . .It would be great if people were scored on their logic and penalized for weak or illogical arguments.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I would love to see this argument, and others like this one, moderated by a team of debate judges . . .It would be great if people were scored on their logic and penalized for weak or illogical arguments.

Why does it have to be an argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity