Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It's sad Finn_Jarber, but not by this one. I'm still a universalist but I have been reading several posts lately where I see that many just don't get it.
You dont post like a universalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM

33 posts, read 30,992 times
I dont know about anybody else but I am afraid of sinning because im trying to do right by Jehovah and im trying to follow his footsteps but I know im going to sin because im imperfect so I just try to pray instead and just try to continue to do right.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
"Begging for forgiveness is unnecessary, it only exemplifies fear."

Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I tell you there are SO MANY UNIVERSALIST that are preaching the Doctrine of the Nicolaitans. They preach that as long as God is going to save everyone do as you desire.
This is simply not true. It is a constant refrain of the fundies whose complete ignorance of Christian Universalism seems to be intentional . . .because they repeat it and repeat it even when told repeatedly that it is not true. You do a grave disservice to Christian Universalism with this lie that cannot be substantiated, trettep . . . at least not here at C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have never read of any universalist preaching do as you desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's how it comes across from pretty much all universalists.
And this is the main offender in repeating this lie over and over and over again.

Quote:
It's sad Finn_Jarber, but not by this one. I'm still a universalist but I have been reading several posts lately where I see that many just don't get it.
You may have read posts that disagree with your semi-fundy view of UR, trettep . . . but you have not read any that support the lie you presented above.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I think it is absolutely NORMAL to fear sinning and to be God-fearing, at least as far as my religious values go. It means you have a moral compass. The more angst you feel, the more grave the sin is likely to be....at least, in your own conscience.

My confessions all sound the same. Most of us have "patterns of sinning," I think. I wish I was more righteous like some of my friends. Who knows? Maybe they're good at fooling me and others. Still, I think there are people out there who do a better job of being a Christian than I do.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
The desire of avoiding sin should be selfless. Avoiding sin with the express purpose of obtaining eternal life is selfish and God would know.

Trying to avoid sin is being Christian whether there is salvation or not.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM

322 posts, read 317,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't know what the above means (believing in ur will lead them to sin). Salvation is free so I don't understand the second part either. To be saved, all you have to do is belive. No need for payment. But of course it is not a licence to sin.

Your message here seems to be "don't be afraid to sin" is a strange one. As a believer I have a Spirit given desire to avoid sin.

Who would say "don't be afraid to sin, because God's love saves everyone". Whose message is that, if not Satan's?
i agree . in my search for who i call god gave me differnt desires of goodness and no longer having the desire to do what we call sinful things.

i dont have all teh answers i jsut take one day at a time and seek him.. i dont even know where the desire to seek himn came from nor do i fully overstand who he is, but i know that its in me and i know that it changes me daily.
i think we jsut have to follow the guidance from within and seek what we are seeking with all our hearts adn the answers will be given to us in due time. thats just my take on the whole thing

Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is simply not true. It is a constant refrain of the fundies whose complete ignorance of Christian Universalism seems to be intentional . . .because they repeat it and repeat it even when told repeatedly that it is not true. You do a grave disservice to Christian Universalism with this lie that cannot be substantiated, trettep . . . at least not here at C-D.

And this is the main offender in repeating this lie over and over and over again.

You may have read posts that disagree with your semi-fundy view of UR, trettep . . . but you have not read any that support the lie you presented above.
Mystic, salvation is via Jesus Christ. It is true that many universalist do indeed preach that no matter what you do you will be saved eventually. And this is what is misleading to others. We have to be CLEAR that salvation is through JESUS CHRIST! Many are not driving that point. Many are CONTENT in letting others believe that simply all shall eventually be saved.

If I appeal as the one Universalist that fundies can agree with it is because they DO see that obedience to God's Law means something. They agree with me in that sense. I'm argue with universalist often - not because I disagree with universalism but because I disagree often with how it is delivered. Universalists need to ACKNOWLEDGE that fundies do GET IT RIGHT when they see that God is demanding OBEDIENCE. I get it and I'm a universalist.

Brother I love you but we disagree on many things. Let's come to understand our differences using the logic and reasoning that God grants us.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Mystic, salvation is via Jesus Christ. It is true that many universalist do indeed preach that no matter what you do you will be saved eventually. And this is what is misleading to others. We have to be CLEAR that salvation is through JESUS CHRIST! Many are not driving that point. Many are CONTENT in letting others believe that simply all shall eventually be saved.
The RCC now believes that even non Christians can be saved. They see God as more benovolent. Non Catholic Christians are considered saved. Those that never received baptism are also saved.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Non Catholic Christians are considered saved.
Exactly why I don't shove my Catholicism down other Christians' throats. I just wish they didn't try to do the same with me. It's wasted effort on their parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity