Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,450,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, without a personal relationship, there is no salvation.
It's because we have that personal relationship we can know Him and love Him more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,385,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
There is a big difference in knowing who Jesus is and knowing Him personally.
Looks like somebody here is seeing it!

Blessings!
brian

Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Quote:
It's because we have that personal relationship we can know Him and love Him more.
Indeed, but some believe that the Bible exists to bring people to salvation, and after that it becomes "old manna". I believe that once you establish that relationship, the Bible becomes your everyday spiritual food. At least in my case the Spirit gave me the desire to learn more and more about the word of God, which also teaches you about God himself.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
There is a big difference in knowing who Jesus is and knowing Him personally.
Quote:
Quote:
I have described my encounters with Him repeatedly in the forum . . . and the character of His consciousness is unmistakable and unambiguous(as was Jesus' life and death).If you have this personal relationship with Him . . . how is it that you can accept beliefs about Him that are 180 degrees opposite to His character?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have described my encounters with Him repeatedly in the forum . . . and the character of His consciousness is unmistakable and unambiguous(as was Jesus' life and death).If you have this personal relationship with Him . . . how is it that you can accept beliefs about Him that are 180 degrees opposite to His character?
One might ask you the same.....

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,232,042 times
Quote:
Indeed, but some believe that the Bible exists to bring people to salvation, and after that it becomes "old manna". I believe that once you establish that relationship, the Bible becomes your everyday spiritual food. At least in my case the Spirit gave me the desire to learn more and more about the word of God, which also teaches you about God himself.
Amen. This verse came to mind. Psalm 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,450,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you have this personal relationship with Him . . . how is it that you can accept beliefs about Him that are 180 degrees opposite to His character?
It's because of my personal relationship with Him that I don't accept those beliefs about Him that not true.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,945,104 times
Quote:
Perhaps what you're saying is that we cannot experience our salvation, without a relationship with Christ. Is that what you're saying?

Scripture teaches us that our actual salvation does not lie in our "personal relationship", but rather in Christ's redemptive work, on the cross. It may sound one-sided, but that is how scripture portrays it:

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

That is where salvation is.

Having a "personal relationship" is often defined differently by each person, and perhaps differently at each stage during our sanctification process, but that experience or "relationship" is not the salvation that saves, but rather is what we experience.

And how can it be? We were reconciled to God while we were His enemy, not His friend while having a "personal relationship" with Him. Unless of course being His enemy counts towards that "personal relationship" .

Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Our reconciliation and our justification rightfully belongs in Christ, on the cross, when we were His enemy.

That is the glory of the Gospel.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,398,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Amen. This verse came to mind. Psalm 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
Hey CW2L

Does this mean David had a bible on each foot ?, or does it mean when He dwelt on God (who is the word), by being still, he heard the voice of God say to him "this is the way walk ye in it".

Now i have Christ abiding in me, i know which one i am more inclined to believe.Feet represents our mind by the way.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
One might ask you the same.....
Quote:
It's because of my personal relationship with Him that I don't accept those beliefs about Him that not true.
I guess I wasn't clear . . . it was a deeply sincere (and vexing) question seeking more detail on your personal encounters that seem to have produced such a profoundly different impression of Him from my experience in deep meditation. How have you met Him? What about the encounter provided you with such conviction about His character? I am truly and sincerely baffled by this and am not trying to be provocative or critical. I am unable to reconcile my experiences of God's consciousness with your acceptance of beliefs about Him that contradict them so profoundly. Please stop viewing my posts defensively or negatively . . . I am truly baffled by this and sincerely want to know what the basis for YOUR personal convictions are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity