Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 02:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I was referring to the the fundamentalist teaching that God will fail to accomplish his desire, and that most humans will be damned forever, or eternally tortured, or tortured and then murdered.

The smile was just an expression of my personal conviction.
I appreciate the clarification, because I have never believed, nor taught this vulgar and obscene language or thought of the Fundamentalist.
Although, very glad that you were convicted of this fallacy of men.

"He will not fail in accomplishing that which many are yet to comprehend."

Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The interpretations I've seen are off of tentmaker and bible-truths and are highly symbolic:

lazarus = eliezer - Abraham's faithful gentile servant - represents gentiles
rich man = judah - representing Israel
Abraham's bosom = representing closeness with Abraham (which is what eliezer was)
5 brothers = Judah's 5 brothers
etc.
chasm = separation that Israel went through because of their disobedience
etc

IMHO it lines up, but it is possible it is multi-layered.
Problem with Tentmaker is that they have some stuff wrong in my opinion.

Lazarus is the same lazarus that was raised from the dead. We know this because:

Lazarus is said to be full of sores such that the dogs licked the sores. That symbolizes what is known as leprosy. So this lazarus is a leper. What isn't clear to many is that the Lazarus that Jesus rose from the dead was a leper. But look:

Mat 26:6 Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,

Joh 11:1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
Joh 11:2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)

Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"Bow to me and/or I will torture you!"

" Accept My love or die in your hate"

Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Everybody dies ...

Do you really believe that a mule spoke to Balaam?

The rocks themselves would sing aloud the glory and praises of Christ our lord if all other things held their peace, oh ye of little faith ...

You may make a mockery and a joke out of the glory of God and his purpose to accomplish everything that he desires, but God isn't mocked ......
If you think about the timing if this "universal praise" you will see your error. It happens at the time of opening of the seals, and all of chaprer 5 talks about that time. The one verse does not hop to a different time and then come back to the opening of the seals. Do you believe there will be a moment BEFORE the release of the four horsemen of apocalypse (and the other curses) when all creation, including unbelievers ON EARTH will sing praise to the Lord? That would mean the unbelievers will praise the Lord, and then the Lord kills them with war, hunger and disease. Would that make sense to you?

Quote:
one day the veil of ignorance will be removed from your eyes when you are finally made ashamed of your false religion ...
Yea, whatever... same to you

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-26-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
No I believe the maturity is only by the will and purpose of God. Do we disagree there?
It sounds a little boastful to hear you claim that the group you belong to (UR) are spiritually more mature than other believers.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
The above scripture seems straight forward.

Mike, one cannot just wake up and decide to accept “god”, for we cannot come to “god”, he must "draw" us. Again the “bible” says that no one seeks after “god”; the natural mind cannot even understand the things of “god”. So how, pray tell, can a natural man who doesn’t have the ears to hear the "gospel" yet along accept it?
"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
The above scripture seems straight forward.

Mike, one cannot just wake up and decide to accept “god”, for we cannot come to “god”, he must "draw" us. Again the “bible” says that no one seeks after “god”; the natural mind cannot even understand the things of “god”. So how, pray tell, can a natural man who doesn’t have the ears to hear the "gospel" yet along accept it?
It also says, Acts 17:26 'and He made from one, every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times, and the boundaries of their habitation, 27] that they should seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.'

God has made Himself known through His creation so that man has no excuse for disbelief. Romans 1:19-20

I've told you a couple of times now. At gospel hearing the Holy Spirit in His ministry of common grace makes the gospel message understandable to the unbeliever. He convicts the unbeliever of the sin of unbelief, of righteousness and of judgement (John 16:8-11). The unbeliever is therefore able to understand the issue and make a decision for or against Christ. If the gospel hearer is persuaded by what he has heard that Jesus is who He claims He is, and assuming the one hearing the gospel doesn't suppress the truth and wants to enter into an eternal relationship with Christ, he will accept Him as Savior. At that point, God the Holy Spirit will in His ministry of efficacious grace, take the non-meritorious faith of the one believing and carry it to the point of salvation. He will make the faith effective for salvation.

God has revealed Himself through creation in a general way, and through the gospel in a specific way. God makes it possible to respond to the gospel. Whether or not a person does is his personal choice.

Go back and study the links I provided in what is now post #137. It had been post #141 but some posts seem to have been deleted. They go into detail about common and efficacious grace. That's what they're there for.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-26-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It sounds a little boastful to hear you claim that the group you belong to (UR) are spiritually more mature than other believers.
I didn't say that Finn_Jarber, and I dont' believe that either. I'm not of the Faith Universalism. I'm just a universalist.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Go back and study the links I provided in what is now post #137.
It had been post #141 but some posts seem to have been deleted.
They go into detail about common and efficacious grace.
That's what they're there for.
To the contrary, they are there to imbue others with your biased view or belief.
Although I will agree, many grope around in darkness looking for the light switch.

But the Spirit is not far from each one of us; ever present in all things.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It also says, Acts 17:26 'and He made from one, every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times, and the boundaries of their habitation, 27] that they should seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.'
If you read the preceding verses it is clearly stating, that God created man to seek after him, but as you well know the scriptures tell us, "there is none that seek after God, no not one"it's him seeking us,you either have to be blind,deaf or stiff necked or all 3 of them not to accept this to be true, thus your interpretation of this scripture is false.

Mike what do you think "THOUGH He is not far from each one of us" means ?.No groping necessary.If there is any inclination of desire to seek after Jesus Christ in any man, it's the Father drawing him to him John 6:44.

He is not far from us . Christendom is trying to get us to believe what it believes, unfortunately that's all it is a belief,God wants you to know somebody(This is my beloved Son), flesh and blood can not find this somebody, neither can it make known this somebody to you , that is the job of our Father in heaven who is also not far from us (closer than breathing).

Last edited by pcamps; 03-26-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity