Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"For God gave us a Spirit (contrary to popular opinion), not of fear; but of power, love, and self-control."

I exercise these constantly, specially the last one.
It keeps me, healthy, wealthy, and wise.
Believe it or not, but when you see a fellow believer sin, the loving thing to do is to help him/her, and it is done by using the approach we have discussed here. You are the only one here talking about fear and self control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 03:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When one is already deceived about the Spirit, one is responding to their motives and attitude ....
This is so true!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
When one is already deceived about the Spirit one is responding to their motives and attitude are irrelevant.
This post is a good example of judgment made with the wrong spirit, goal and attitude.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:59 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
So you believe the word "Judge" in that verse simply means to have "common sense"? Or which words in the verse are you associating with "common sense"?
Common sense tells me that he was telling the people to judge THEIR OWN HEARTS rather than his action and perhaps they would perceive and remove the beam of wood (lack of love and understanding) in their own eyes.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
When one is already deceived about the Spirit one is responding to their motives and attitude are irrelevant. "Judge not . . ." is safest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This post is a good example of judgment made with the wrong spirit, goal and attitude.
Since my post is entirely GENERIC (no specifics mentioned) . . . how on earth can you determine what spirit, goal or attitude is involved to JUDGE it to be wrong??? QED

Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Believe it or not, but when you see a fellow believer sin, the loving thing to do is to help him/her, and it is done by using the approach we have discussed here.
You are the only one here talking about fear and self control.
Exhibit the power of self-control when you are graciously loving; and forgiving them.
And remember, I do not have an "us" and "them" mentality!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Common sense tells me that he was telling the people to judge THEIR OWN HEARTS rather than his action and perhaps they would perceive and remove the beam of wood (lack of love and understanding) in their own eyes.
Well said, Pleroo.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
"For God gave us a Spirit (contrary to popular opinion), not of fear; but of power, love, and self-control."

I exercise these constantly, specially the last one.
It keeps me, healthy, wealthy, and wise.
Quote:
Exhibit the power of self-control when you are graciously loving; and forgiving them.
And remember, I do not have an "us" and "them" mentality!
You are on a roll, Jerwade.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Since my post is entirely GENERIC (no specifics mentioned) . . . how on earth can you determine what spirit, goal or attitude is involved to JUDGE it to be wrong??? QED
How is it wrong spirit? Your comment slams an untold number of believers as spiritually disqualified to help their fellow believers come to repentance. That's how. Like many of your posts (unfortunately) it is not designed to help, but to tear down and to demean. You could really improve in this area, and I pray that you will.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Exhibit the power of self-control when you are graciously loving; and forgiving them.!
Do you see it as loss of control if someone has a desire to help a fellow believer back on the right path? The problem is that you see all judgment as negative, when it has already been stressed that it is not. Enough Bible verses have been provided to prove this, and I encourage you to read the thread from the beginning so you will see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity