Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,475 times

Advertisements

i have not gotten into anything of what others have said here. I'm just gonna throw out my thoughts and hope that somebody catches on.

Hell is one of those paradoxes of life. I believe that hell is a place of void, a place that is real, but is nonexistent. It's a spiritual realm first and foremost. I believe that people who are not redeemed go to hell just as the Bible says. It's in the way that we view the Scripture and interpret it where we still have issues addressing. I'm going to attempt it in some way to dispute some of the misconceptions.

Ever come to wonder how God gives so much power in "faith"? John puts it this way, "to them that received them, to those that believed in his name, He gave them the power to be called the sons of God." And again, "for God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believed in him should not perish but have eternal life." And again, every time Jesus performed a miracle he addressed the person, "Go now, your faith has healed you."

There is obvious power that God has enabled us with just by believing and by believing we believe with our soul, or our entire mind, our entire will our entire emotions. There is even obvious passages where the Scripture gives us unlimited power to do what we wanted to do. The problem is that sin entered the world.... we all know that. A friend of mine once said that sin was a "false identity". That's been the problem ever since the Garden of Eden. We've allowed evil to blemish the reality of who we truly are. Thankfully, as I'm sure many of you believe Christ came to enlighten us... or as Paul says it, " 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled" Emphasis again is on the mind.

I'm just gonna go ahead and lay it down this way. Hell is a place of "eternal torment" for the person that was never redeemed. We've heard it before, but you're not thinking of it the right way. If God wanted to he'd save everyone from hell, but the truth is that because of the power he has enabled our minds with he cannot convince them out of it. There is also the passage that I Peter 3 speaks about "18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison"

It is because of our own mere unbelief that we create this hell. Hell becomes this torment that we create in this world. If we lived a life of debauchery, sadness and depression our minds stay forever in this place of torment that we created ourselves.

If you commit suicide because of something that you were never able to cope with, your soul goes away in eternity into that torment that you were never able to cope with.

So yes.... hell is real, but is not real to the unbelievers. The book of Revelation is filled with quite a number of metaphors and hell is one of them. All the talk about the "lake of fire" is only a way to describe this eternal torment.

I hope I'm making sense. These are my thoughts... I don't know what you guys think. I'm open to hearing other people's thoughts.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,076 times
oh the hell with it...

Old 06-04-2011, 06:13 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Moderator cut: caution advice

Guys this thread has been very good and has remained on topic with very little mod interference given the controversal subject...Please do not begin to insult each other now. If you are tired of debating this topic go to another or start another thread

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-04-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 06:57 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,076 times
What the hell is going on here?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-04-2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: sending you a dm..

Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
It is because of our own mere unbelief that we create this hell. Hell becomes this torment that we create in this world. If we lived a life of debauchery, sadness and depression our minds stay forever in this place of torment that we created ourselves.

If you commit suicide because of something that you were never able to cope with, your soul goes away in eternity into that torment that you were never able to cope with.
So the more empathetic among us who are unable to believe in a good god, or the ones who are overcome with depression and sadness, or the ones who have been terribly abused and neglected and can't believe in Love or God anymore, God (Love) will abandon for eternity? That's so horribly sad; sad beyond comprehension.

According to you and much of Christianity, love (God) fails most of the time, contradicting I Corinthians 13:8.

I happen to believe that love never fails. Never.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
SDAs believe that hell hasn't occured/doesn't exist yet. We also believe that when you die, you don't instantly go to heaven or hell. Instead, that is saved for the second coming, where God's people are taken up. Then the third coming, where hell will take place. But it will not be forever. After that is done with, it is believed that God will create a new heaven and earth.
Hi Overdose, when was your church established, what year?

Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
So the more empathetic among us who are unable to believe in a good god, or the ones who are overcome with depression and sadness, or the ones who have been terribly abused and neglected and can't believe in Love or God anymore, God (Love) will abandon for eternity? That's so horribly sad; sad beyond comprehension.

According to you and much of Christianity, love (God) fails most of the time, contradicting I Corinthians 13:8.

I happen to believe that love never fails. Never.

Exactly.

and "sad beyond comprehension", you are right. But I would also say completely ridiculous beyond comprehension. The dark imaginings that enter the mind when Love is blocked from the heart. So many things on that wide path to destruction. So MUCH on that path, no wonder it is so wide. There is a LOT that needs to be conquered.

LOVE NEVER FAILS. NEVER.
Just like you said.

Love conquers ALL.

Align everything up with that truth. LOVE CONQUERS ALL.

GOD IS LOVE.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Exactly.

and "sad beyond comprehension", you are right. But I would also say completely ridiculous beyond comprehension. The dark imaginings that enter the mind when Love is blocked from the heart. So many things on that wide path to destruction. So MUCH on that path, no wonder it is so wide. There is a LOT that needs to be conquered.

LOVE NEVER FAILS. NEVER.
Just like you said.

Love conquers ALL.

Align everything up with that truth. LOVE CONQUERS ALL.

GOD IS LOVE.
Thanks Sparrow, that is timeless.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
In 1863. why?
I was just curious about when the SDA church was founded, that's all. No particular reason. Because of Katzpur I know a little more about it and find that the teachings about hell are very similar to the Universal Salvation belief.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I was just curious about when the SDA church was founded, that's all. No particular reason. Because of Katzpur I know a little more about it and find that the teachings about hell are very similar to the Universal Salvation belief.
I didn't know unis believed in annihilationism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity