Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
A question for twin, Finn, or whoever believes God will eternally torment people in fire: If it's perfectly ok for God to torture people because they didn't believe the correct doctrine, then why do you believe God says murder is a sin? At least when a person is killed the pain doesn't go on forever. Please don't say, "His ways our higher than our ways."

So, God expects us to behave better than Himself, to have more mercy and more love? Is that right? You know, it's physically impossible for us to set someone on fire forever and for them to continue to burn and not die. Why do you think this is the case? Did God want to save all that "fun" for himself, or what? Seriously, you need to think of these things and look your doctrine straight in the eye and face it. Your doctrine says God is worse than any human being is even capable of!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Seriously, you need to stop making acccusations that you will be held accountable for.
I couldn't help but notice you didn't answer the question.

So, what is it exactly that I will be accountable for? Not believing that God will set people on fire and leave them that way for eternity? I'm happy to be accountable for that "accusation."

Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,572,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You mean this line:

It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
My response to Herefornow question of "how long..." was primarily in relation to this:

Spoiler
When Jesus died on the cross something "symbolic" occurred...the veil of the temple was rent in twain from top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; (Matthew 27:51-53)

To me this signaled the beginning of a new personal relationship with God...that all can now approach the "mercy seat" or the throne of God without any human arbiter.

We have read the Jewish tradition before the Christ...that only the priest who was the designated messenger that year would be able to enter the holy of holies, and even then...he had to let his intention known beforehand by wearing bells on the seam of his priestly garb, and have his ankle tied with a rope that extends outside (to pull out his dead body...) just in case his presence was not approved by the spirit.

And yes...by this..."it is done" in revelation 21:6 signals the completion of God's divine plan.

We all thirst for the "truth" Finn...and we have our "speculations" as to what it is...mine just happened to exclude ET for to me, it does not resonate with a just God...

Peace!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
My response to Herefornow question of "how long..." was primarily in relation to this:

Spoiler
When Jesus died on the cross something "symbolic" occurred...the veil of the temple was rent in twain from top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; (Matthew 27:51-53)

To me this signaled the beginning of a new personal relationship with God...that all can now approach the "mercy seat" or the throne of God without any human arbiter.

We have read the Jewish tradition before the Christ...that only the priest who was the designated messenger that year would be able to enter the holy of holies, and even then...he had to let his intention known beforehand by wearing bells on the seam of his priestly garb, and have his ankle tied with a rope that extends outside (to pull out his dead body...) just in case his presence was not approved by the spirit.

And yes...by this..."it is done" in revelation 21:6 signals the completion of God's divine plan.

We all thirst for the "truth" Finn...and we have our "speculations" as to what it is...

Peace!
Well, the "it is done" verse talks about something you seem to want to deny. It says the unbelieving will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur, which is the second death. Yes, we thirst, and it causes many to seek, and accept the truth and become a believers. However, many reject the calling and refuse to drink.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-05-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,862 times
Quote:

So, what is it exactly that I will be accountable for? Not believing that God will set people on fire and leave them that way for eternity? I'm happy to be accountable for that "accusation."
Me, too, Bright Hope. Me, too.

Quote:
We all thirst for the "truth" Finn...and we have our "speculations" as to what it is...

Peace!
I have thirsted ever since I was little, and I have never regretted looking into the things that have bothered my conscience. Not once have I regretted it.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,572,529 times
Quote:
Well, the "it is done" verse talks about something you seem to want to deny. It says the unbelieving will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur, which is the second death.
I'm not denying it my friend...as I stated...we only have differing opinions as to the meaning of this verse. The 2nd death could be referring to the "death of self." I see this as resonating with Zecheriah 13:9...

And I will bring the third part through the "fire," and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

The key words here are "I WILL" not he may.

btw - I'm not a universalist nor an eternal torture advocate. I do believe Genesis 3:19 "natural death after life" for those who are truly evil. aisi

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
"Hell is other people."
- Jean-Paul Sartre

Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
I'm not denying it my friend...as I stated...we only have differing opinions as to the meaning of this verse. The 2nd death could be referring to the "death of self." I see this as resonating with Zecheriah 13:9...

And I will bring the third part through the "fire," and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

The key words here are "I WILL" not he may.

btw - I'm not a universalist nor an eternal torture advocate. I do believe Genesis 3:19 "natural death after life" for those who are truly evil. aisi
One third will be refined, two thirds will be destroyed. "In the whole land," declares the LORD, "two-thirds will be struck down and perish; yet one-third will be left in it"

The second death is an exclusion from heaven, and from the presence of the Lord.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:

People will be held accountable for the sarcastic to satanic accusations (questions) about God. Your latest tirade isn't worth responding to.

Yes ... you will have to answer for every careless word. Even Job (who was found to be upright) found out just how foolish he was to make any such accusations and they were nothing like what you and your crowd is spewing.
Quote:
So, God expects us to behave better than Himself, to have more mercy and more love? Is that right? You know, it's physically impossible for us to set someone on fire forever and for them to continue to burn and not die. Why do you think this is the case? Did God want to save all that "fun" for himself, or what? Seriously, you need to think of these things and look your doctrine straight in the eye and face it. Your doctrine says God is worse than any human being is even capable of!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
People will be held accountable for the sarcastic to satanic accusations (questions) about God. Your latest tirade isn't worth responding to.

Yes ... you will have to answer for every careless word. Even Job (who was found to be upright) found out just how foolish he was to make any such accusations and they were nothing like what you and your crowd is spewing.
Let's see if I understand your point:

- You accuse God of setting people on fire forever without any relief.

- I accuse God of NOT setting people on fire forever without any relief.

God is going to be mad at me for my "accusation."

- I point out that no human being is capable of such horror - a simple truth that can't be denied.

- You have no answer as to why God made humans incapable of such horror and pretend it's not worth responding to.

- You think it's sarcastic and satanic to believe God WILL NOT burn people's flesh while they beg for mercy forever and ever and ever because, for whatever reason, they weren't taught the right doctrine while on earth.

- I believe it's satanic (the doctrine is from Satan-not those who believe it) to believe God WILL burn people's flesh while they beg for mercy forever and ever and ever because, for whatever reason, they weren't taught the right doctrine while on earth.

Does that about sum it up? Like I said, I'm very happy to be accountable for my faith in God.

Last edited by Bright Hope for Tomorrow; 06-05-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You mean this line:

It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
Quote:
Well, the "it is done" verse talks about something you seem to want to deny. It says the unbelieving will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur, which is the second death. Yes, we thirst, and it causes many to seek, and accept the truth and become a believers. However, many reject the calling and refuse to drink.

Revelation 21 also says, "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity