Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,123,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Theophane,

I am very familiar with the sheep/goats verses. They are a "parable" that Jesus used to keep the people in spiritual darkness. However, it may be good to remember that both sheep and goats were considered "clean" animals in the OT. In fact, even a goat could be used for the passover, not only lambs.

Back to my OP, though, it's still not very clear what Judgment is all about. Many people seem so afraid of it; but if we are believing, shouldn't we be like David, who considered judgment a good thing??

Blessings,
brian
Why would Jesus want to keep people in spiritual darkness? And why would these words constitute such an attempt? These are His own words, recorded in Matt. 25:31-46.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,994 times
Quote:
Hi saved33,

It should be obvious by now, that I may see the idea of "judgment" a little differently than most here.

However, since this concept of "judgment day" is used so much, I'd like to know from those who talk about it so much, specifically what they mean by it. Some people have given some thought to it; others are afraid to make an effort.

Blessings,
brian

Ask the God of the Bible, Brian. Seek Him with all your heart and He will give you discernment.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,374,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
1. Nope. She said it herself.

2. Nope. Truth, not judgment.

3. Yep. There is ONLY ONE TRUE GOD, Brian.

Isaiah 43:10, among a number of other passages in the Bible tell us "Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me."
This post ^^^ reminds me of the Pharisees...

They didn't believe Jesus, because His message was new to them.
If Christy's message to you is new, you don't believe her.

No diff.

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
judgement is an essential divine quality called principle. without it we crash into the divider on the freeway.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Why would Jesus want to keep people in spiritual darkness? And why would these words constitute such an attempt? These are His own words, recorded in Matt. 25:31-46.
Jesus spoke to the people only in parables, so that "hearing they would not hear." Intentional hiding of spiritual secrets. Probably for their own good!

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Let me see if I understand:

You say that "carnal judging" is "criticizing and tearing down your brothers and sisters, and elevating yourself over them."

So God is not going to elevate Himself over sinners? He's not going to criticize them?

That is what I was taught growing up, that He will elevate Himself ("every knee will bow..") and criticize (be critical of ) others for not believing.

--In other words, I think what you are trying to say is, that God's not going to "get personal" with anybody. He's just going to hold them to "the Law" and sentence them? (like a machine, black or white, fail or pass)

Thank you for your clarification.

Blessings,
brian
No, obviously that is not what I am saying.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: insulting

Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I know that if the Lord God is good, all those who are not Agnostic will hurt themselves and sadden God.
There is no purpose in an after-life, there is no purpose to judge after the facts have all happened.
That is a profound statement.

Doesn't Love "cover sins??" (1 Cor. 13)

Is there any glory in "I told you so" and "Look how great I am and how miserable you are"??

It's clear that God is above us, and we are below Him. It's clear that we can never measure up to Him in glory, in strength, in beauty, in truth. "Judgment Day" is quite pointless!!

Doesn't God get glory from better things than "I told you so!!"

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The purpose of judgment: to destroy the wicked.
Yes, I agree. Jesus said he came into the world to destroy the works of the devil. What is the devil's work? How will Jesus destroy it? Just putting those questions out there for others to think about.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,952,201 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Well, for people like me, the idea of "Judgement Day" is a good thing, because the Bible tells us that that is how God teaches man righteousness. Isaiah says it like this:
"With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early : for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."
He is "the confidence of all the ends of the earth." (Ps. 65.5) It is a completely positive thing, and nothing to be afraid of, because God loves us all (both sinner and saint).

So what does Judgment mean to you? Do you see it as God's day to "show his muscles?" Is it a match of "I'm right and you're wrong?" Is it so God can show how great He is, and how wrong man is? Is that consistent with "love" as described in 1 Cor. 13??

What do you see "Judgement" as?

"Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good." Ps. 119.39

Blessings,
brian

Ultimatly, even though my humanity may not like changing, being in the hands of the living God is the best place for anyone to be. Gods judgments will always be for the ultimate benefit of those being judged.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,136,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
What do you think 2 Peter 2;3 is saying, legoman ???

Well I'm sure you can read it, since you already posted it.

But to sum it up:
- there will be many deceivers
- many will be deceived
- the wicked will be destroyed
- wickedness will be destroyed
- in fact everything as we know it will be destroyed
- make an effort to be good

In short, people reap what they sow.

So do you believe this teaches people righteousness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity