Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:34 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,157,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Christian way ' nativity scenes ' ? How is the inaccurate Nativity scene Christian ?
There were No Christmas carols sung when Jesus was born.

The Nativity scene may very well be a good example of how much man has handed-down false teachings that are now so deeply embedded that is now so hard to erase from people's minds. Even the good intentions are still deceiving.

The magi were Never at the manger scene. There is No record of the number of magi just the number of gifts.
One person, Not knowing the magi were Never at the Manger said Mary was a liar - Luke 2:22-24
He said, the offering Mary made was for a poor person to make,and Mary was Not poor because the magi gave them gold.
By the time the un-numbered magi ( Not kings but astrologers ) found Jesus he was a child living in a house.
- see Matthew 2 vs 8,9,11,13,14,20,21

So, at the time of Jesus' birth they did Not yet have the gold. And the gold provided for their later escape to Egypt.

I just listed those as the what most think they are religiously doing to celebrating it correct, even though everything is just bits and pieces of everything and thrown together as XMas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 03:42 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,999,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I just listed those as the what most think they are religiously doing to celebrating it correct, even though everything is just bits and pieces of everything and thrown together as XMas.
So, then the bottom line is: religious falsehoods mixed with facts is blended or thrown together as X-mas.
A mixture of fairy-tale stories ( Santa ) with Scripture ( Jesus )
A mixture of the Saturnalia with Christ, or the celebration of Christ-nalia.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:48 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,658,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
As I mentioned so often before, I had a member of a church of Christ in Texas actually call me on the phone and try (unsuccessfully) to stop me from celebrating Christmas. I was married to some former wife whose family were members of the church of Christ. We rarely attended, and had been celebrating advent at an Episcopal church. Someone claiming to be an elder or deacon or some other religious dweeb called and told me that celebrating Christmas, including attending churches that celebrating Christmas was "not something we do" To make a long story short, a brief argument ensued, I told him where he could go and what he could do with himself and I never ever stepped foot in a church of Christ ever again. (Not that I cared anyway) In America, I have the freedom to choose where I go to church, or as it is now, rarely at all.
So I can say that not only do church of CHrist people not celebrate it, they openly encourage others not to as well.

What I find most interesting about this is that to this day, members of the coc justify and defend this man's behavior, and no one has ever come forward, claiming to be a member of the coc and said that they guy was in the wrong for calling and telling me how I can or cannot celebrate a holiday.
The Church of Christ has a lot of "splinter groups". Some groups do quite zealously tell others they mustn't celebrate Christmas (as you encountered). Other groups do celebrate Christmas quite enthusiastically, but only privately in homes. Christmas is viewed as a secular holiday, not a religious one. The only day recognized as having any religious significance in the CoC is Sunday.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:56 AM

7,604 posts, read 6,110,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The Church of Christ has a lot of "splinter groups". Some groups do quite zealously tell others they mustn't celebrate Christmas (as you encountered). Other groups do celebrate Christmas quite enthusiastically, but only privately in homes. Christmas is viewed as a secular holiday, not a religious one. The only day recognized as having any religious significance in the CoC is Sunday.
Any religion which does not celebrate Christmas would b a deal killer for me. I am an Atheist and I still celebrate it, I will be at Midnight Mass tonight and will be enthralled by the beauty of the ceremony.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:13 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Any religion which does not celebrate Christmas would b a deal killer for me. I am an Atheist and I still celebrate it, I will be at Midnight Mass tonight and will be enthralled by the beauty of the ceremony.
I know you love it, LKC, I remember from previous years. I think you're here in the NY metro area, so there are some good choices of churches that will put on a beautiful mass. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2015, 02:25 PM

28,124 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You disagree with me? Great. Good for you. But I do know the angels and shepherds praised God on the eve of the first Christmas....why are we not allowed to do that now?
Supposedly, everything that isn't spelled out in the Bible is a no-no. When Christians aren't supposed to be celebrating the birth of the one who made it possible for mankind to be reconciled to God and look forward to eternal life in His presence -- just because the Bible doesn't expressly command us to do so -- something is very, very wrong.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 756,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have heard of some who do not, due to the incorporation of Pagan customs into Christianity. I know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not, but many people do not believe them to be Christian. Are there any denominations that do not celebrate Christmas, or are these mostly independent churches, and the beliefs of certain Pastors? Just curious.

[SIZE=4]true, many does want tobelieve we're not christians, because we don't follow the ways of theworld. Some say we don't acknowledge Jesus which makes us notchristians. People wants to this in order to feel good about whatthey are doing when it's against “Jesus”. If the above was trueof what MANY has said. Then why are we going from door to door, asJesus commanded? Why are we trying not to be part of the world. AsJesus said he and his wasn't? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Any who say they arechristains should understand this. And should as well not do what therest of the world is doing, especially of it's a lie or immoral.Jesus said when we were of the world they loved us, because they lovetheir own. But once one decides to leave the world, even family turntheir backs. we end our prayer, we say in Jesus name? So even ifMANY refuse to believe we're christians, Jesus sees it differently,and that's all that matters. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]As for not celebratingchristmas , much research has been done concerning this, ANYONE cangoogle the truth, if they REALLY WANTED IT. it brings up manyquestions for those seeking the truth. did the shepherds tend totheir flocks outdoor during winter months? If Jesus was born Dec. 25,and was on earth 33 years. Why was it not at least one time abiblical record of him or his family celebrating his “birthday”.Even after he had died there was no mention of his true followercelebrating it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Someone said basicallyjust because it's not recorded ,doesn't mean it not so. But 2Tim.3:16says this “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and isprofitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instructionin righteousness”. So everything Jehovah God wants us to know thisservants taught us. If the DATE... of Jesus birth was importantenough so that we may celebrate it, Jesus would have given it to us. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Thebible speaks of two birthday parties, which ended in someone'sdeath. The bible showed that it was ok to attend weddings. BecauseJesus even made the wine. The of month of Jesus birth wasn'timportant. It was the fact of WHY... he was born. Jesus never toldhis true followers to remember his birth, but to remember the day inwhich he was about to die.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Andas for satan, if he wasn't involved, who do we think has us sayingbirth”DAY”, when Dec. 25 is really a DATE! And who o we think hasus on “Jesus birthday”, lying to our kids about a satan, andflying reindeer? Question, would any human who calls themselves achristian would want someone to celebrate their birthdate. Withdecorations of ,(what some believe), devil faces, pitch forks, ahellfire? If not, then why would we as christians want to believeJesus is in Heaven thinking... it's ok that my followers mix satanthings with my day. We better get it right before it's too late.peace [/SIZE]

Old 12-26-2015, 04:35 PM

597 posts, read 1,300,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have heard of some who do not, due to the incorporation of Pagan customs into Christianity.

I know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not, but many people do not believe them to be Christian.

Are there any denominations that do not celebrate Christmas, or are these mostly independent churches, and the beliefs of certain Pastors?

Just curious.
We recall, every year, suffering, death and ressurection of Jesus.
So, should not we celebrate his birth??

Old 12-26-2015, 05:47 PM

28,124 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
We recall, every year, suffering, death and ressurection of Jesus.
So, should not we celebrate his birth??
I figure that if the shepherds and the angels of heaven found reason to celebrate His Son's birth, God is probably A-Okay with our doing so, too.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:49 PM

39 posts, read 37,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
[SIZE=4]true, many does want tobelieve we're not christians, because we don't follow the ways of theworld. Some say we don't acknowledge Jesus which makes us notchristians. People wants to this in order to feel good about whatthey are doing when it's against “Jesus”. If the above was trueof what MANY has said. Then why are we going from door to door, asJesus commanded? Why are we trying not to be part of the world. AsJesus said he and his wasn't? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Any who say they arechristains should understand this. And should as well not do what therest of the world is doing, especially of it's a lie or immoral.Jesus said when we were of the world they loved us, because they lovetheir own. But once one decides to leave the world, even family turntheir backs. we end our prayer, we say in Jesus name? So even ifMANY refuse to believe we're christians, Jesus sees it differently,and that's all that matters. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]As for not celebratingchristmas , much research has been done concerning this, ANYONE cangoogle the truth, if they REALLY WANTED IT. it brings up manyquestions for those seeking the truth. did the shepherds tend totheir flocks outdoor during winter months? If Jesus was born Dec. 25,and was on earth 33 years. Why was it not at least one time abiblical record of him or his family celebrating his “birthday”.Even after he had died there was no mention of his true followercelebrating it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Someone said basicallyjust because it's not recorded ,doesn't mean it not so. But 2Tim.3:16says this “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and isprofitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instructionin righteousness”. So everything Jehovah God wants us to know thisservants taught us. If the DATE... of Jesus birth was importantenough so that we may celebrate it, Jesus would have given it to us. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Thebible speaks of two birthday parties, which ended in someone'sdeath. The bible showed that it was ok to attend weddings. BecauseJesus even made the wine. The of month of Jesus birth wasn'timportant. It was the fact of WHY... he was born. Jesus never toldhis true followers to remember his birth, but to remember the day inwhich he was about to die.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Andas for satan, if he wasn't involved, who do we think has us sayingbirth”DAY”, when Dec. 25 is really a DATE! And who o we think hasus on “Jesus birthday”, lying to our kids about a satan, andflying reindeer? Question, would any human who calls themselves achristian would want someone to celebrate their birthdate. Withdecorations of ,(what some believe), devil faces, pitch forks, ahellfire? If not, then why would we as christians want to believeJesus is in Heaven thinking... it's ok that my followers mix satanthings with my day. We better get it right before it's too late.peace [/SIZE]

JW's have relegated Jesus to the rank of highest of angels, Michael. That's how much you worship and think of Him. Complete utter unscriptural rubbish. You better read your bible again, carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity