Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,125,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
TheoGeek, Jesus never used the word "hell." He didn't speak English nor German. The English word "hell" which is of Germanic origin just meant "to cover." When the Germans would roof their house they would hell the house. When they would bury a dead person they would hell the person.

Jesus only used the word Gehenna. Gehenna was a trash dump in Jesus' day where fires here and there in the dump would be burning trash or flies and worms would be eating trash where the fire hadn't gotten to.
Then what was the meaning of the cross? Was it all to save us from a landfill site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 PM

939 posts, read 1,026,640 times
Quote:
TheoGeek, Jesus never used the word "hell." He didn't speak English nor German. The English word "hell" which is of Germanic origin just meant "to cover." When the Germans would roof their house they would hell the house. When they would bury a dead person they would hell the person.

Jesus only used the word Gehenna. Gehenna was a trash dump in Jesus' day where fires here and there in the dump would be burning trash or flies and worms would be eating trash where the fire hadn't gotten to.
And the gehenna he referred to was one where the fire never ceased and the worm did not die. It wasn't a temporary thing.

Sorry...your arguments have been dealt with by far smarter men than you and I.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,994,184 times
Quote:
Have you Ever Noticed no where in the Bible does it say: Save yourselves from hell?

Not one person starting in Genesis going all the way to Revelation ever tells anyone to save themselves from hell.

In the Gospels it is always: Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Actually no one can save themselves from 'hell' for the word hell in both the OT and NT simply means the grave. Even Christ went to the grave.

Now if you want to talk about hell fire [geenna which is a metaphor for the lake of fire which is the second death] that's a different subject and Christ did WARN about that.

Mt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell [geenna].
[SIZE=3].[/SIZE]

Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Actually no one can save themselves from 'hell' for the word hell in both the OT and NT simply means the grave. Even Christ went to the grave.

Now if you want to talk about hell fire [geenna which is a metaphor for the lake of fire which is the second death] that's a different subject and Christ did WARN about that.

Mt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell [geenna].
[SIZE=3].[/SIZE]
Who is the "him" in Gehenna we are told to fear?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Who is the "him" in Gehenna we are told to fear?
What Matt. 10:28 tells us is this. Man can kill a person's body, but that is only a temporary death for God is able to resurrect a body. So we are to fear God who is able to destroy/turn to ashes, a soul in geenna; the lake of fire.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
What Matt. 10:28 tells us is this. Man can kill a person's body, but that is only a temporary death for God is able to resurrect a body. So we are to fear God who is able to destroy/turn to ashes, a soul in geenna; the lake of fire.
You're talking about hell. Souls don't go to garbage heaps; they go to hell.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You're talking about hell. Souls don't go to garbage heaps; they go to hell.
Correction. First, contrary to popular belief/teachings ppl don't have a soul; we are a soul. Read Gen. 2:7 then tell me did God breath into Adam a soul? Or did He breath into Adam the breath [spirit] of life and Adam became a living soul?

Second the word hell means the grave; not a place with fire, the devil and torment. That is man's ideas; not God's.

There is no place of torment mentioned in the OT and guess what? Christ, and the apostles taught from the OT. How do we know this? The NT hadn't been written yet.

So when Christ spoke of hell fire He was teaching from the OT and guess what He was referring to? The Valley of Hinnon, the garbage dump outside Jerusalem where the fire never went out and the worm never died. Why did the fire never go out or the worm die? Because this place was constantly heaped with garbage and criminals bodies were burned there also.

Why did He compare hell fire to geenna=the lake of fire which is the second death mentioned in Matt. 10:28? Because the early Christians knew the OT and knew what He was saying/referring to and understood His analogy.

It was modern man that changed what Christ was saying to "hell"=fire, damnation, the devil and torment after Dante and Milton came on the scene.

Two questions for you:

1.) Are the cities of Sodom and Gommorraha still burning/suffering vengeance to this day?

2.) Is Jonah still in the belly of the great fish to this day?

I didn't think so. Well then how do you explain this verse?

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

And this one:

Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,177 times
Quote:
Best way I've ever heard this process described. I think you're absolutely spot on here.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Unitarian Universalism has really distorted the Bible. Shamelessly, too.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Unitarian Universalism has really distorted the Bible. Shamelessly, too.
And this refers to who or what?

And BTW, I am not a Universalist I just believe in what the Scriptures say/teach and the Scriptures teach the wicked will perish [be turned to ashes]in the lake of fire the second death. Sorry if that offends you. Perhaps you should do a word study on 'the wicked' in the OT to see what their fate is?

I do not believe God is some kind of a monster who takes pleaure in watching ppl burn like bacon for all eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity