Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,001,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
OP Are you trying this again? Talk about a broken record, give it up already!!!!?????
Do you mean a broken CD?

Quote:
Mt 25:45 "He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’Mt 25:46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Matthew 25:31-46 is not about heaven or hell. Also, Jesus was not telling anyone there to save themselves from hell.
That passage is what the nations will get FOR HOW THEY TREATED CHRIST'S BRETHREN, not for if they believed or not. And it is eonian chastening or eonian life or as Young's Literal has it "Mat 25:46 And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'

Quote:
Mt 23:33 "You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?
Jesus was not telling them to save themselves from hell but was asking them how they will escape GEHENNA which is a trash dump which will be used again during the 1000 year reign of Christ.

Quote:
Mk 9:45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
Mk 9:47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,
He didn't say: If you believe in Me you will be saved from hell. He was saying they could be saved from Gehenna by cutting off body parts and plucking out body parts.

Quote:
Lk 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
Lk 16:23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side
Please replace each "hell" above with "Gehenna."

Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned response

Last edited by june 7th; 12-14-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Sure it does, if you have the eyes to see...this is just one of many...

Proverbs 15:24 The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
Pro 15:24 A path of life is on high for the wise, To turn aside from Sheol beneath.

Sheol is equivalent to the grave.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM

939 posts, read 1,026,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am arguing that there is not one place in the Bible beginning from Genesis to Revelation that it is ever said that mankind are to save themselves from hell.

I am not arguing that we save ourselves.

I am arguing that we are not saved from a mythological hell. Rather, we are saved by God for the work He has prepared for us to do in the oncoming eons/ages.
So when Jesus talked about hell, he was just kidding? I've heard the arguments against it before. They're weak. You have to do a lot with the text to try to make your case and frankly, it's just not worth arguing.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:44 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
So when Jesus talked about hell, he was just kidding? I've heard the arguments against it before. They're weak. You have to do a lot with the text to try to make your case and frankly, it's just not worth arguing.

If you focus upon the word "hell" then the verse below shows the belief that someone relying on God will escape from hell.

Ps 86:13 For great [is] thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

The issue really is not that "hell" exists or not, but whether it is truly a place or realm of some sort that someone has no hope of escape.

I believe that Jesus was serious about consequenses for our actions, whether our actions can actually deliver us to a place where there is no hope is another matter.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,126,206 times
Liberate tuteme ex inferis

"Save Yourself From Hell."

We can save ourselves from hell by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 AM

939 posts, read 1,026,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
If you focus upon the word "hell" then the verse below shows the belief that someone relying on God will escape from hell.

Ps 86:13 For great [is] thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

The issue really is not that "hell" exists or not, but whether it is truly a place or realm of some sort that someone has no hope of escape.

I believe that Jesus was serious about consequenses for our actions, whether our actions can actually deliver us to a place where there is no hope is another matter.
meh.

It's not worth arguing over, to be honest. In my experience, people picking this topic rarely are open for a real discussion.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,548,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Liberate tuteme ex inferis

"Save Yourself From Hell."

We can save ourselves from hell by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour.
If you can save yourself from hell then what purpose does the title "savior" applied to Jesus serve? Seems disingenuous.

And if you can save yourself from hell then can it be a permanent state?

Also, if hell is an afterlife state then what value does salvation have here and now? Jesus seemed to think it would make the world a better place to have his followers multiply and love one another.

Was Jesus ever talking about an afterlife? Seems to me he talked about life not afterlife.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,126,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If you can save yourself from hell then what purpose does the title "savior" applied to Jesus serve?
A shepherd can guide his sheep away from danger, but only if the sheep submits to him.

Quote:
And if you can save yourself from hell then can it be a permanent state?
Yes, and that's where I need my shepherd the most! His rod and his staff, they comfort me.

Quote:
Also, if hell is an afterlife state then what value does salvation have here and now?
Salvation and hell are words that describe our temporal as well as eternal existence. Don't you agree that heaven and hell have intruded into our earthly life?

Quote:
Jesus seemed to think it would make the world a better place to have his followers multiply and love one another.
Don't you think so?

Quote:
Was Jesus ever talking about an afterlife? Seems to me he talked about life not afterlife.
Yes, Jesus talked about the Kingdom of Heaven all through the Gospels.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,331 times
Quote:
meh.

It's not worth arguing over, to be honest. In my experience, people picking this topic rarely are open for a real discussion.
Perhaps not, does that mean that you are considering it?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
TheoGeek, Jesus never used the word "hell." He didn't speak English nor German. The English word "hell" which is of Germanic origin just meant "to cover." When the Germans would roof their house they would hell the house. When they would bury a dead person they would hell the person.

Jesus only used the word Gehenna. Gehenna was a trash dump in Jesus' day where fires here and there in the dump would be burning trash or flies and worms would be eating trash where the fire hadn't gotten to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity