Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,947,896 times

Advertisements

Yes, you've got to love this sort of hedging and mumbo-jumbo. From the link provided, this clarity:

"Scriptures would seem to suggest that Nuclear war comes after the gathering, but this interpretation could be wrong."

Hmmm. How compellingly absolute, huh?

As for our OP author, this is yet another predictable case of the frantic & wishful thinking associated with End Times prophecy. It's always been so, and it always will be. Not to mention that each and every such forecast has ALWAYS ended uneventfully.

This fact seems to go fully unnoticed by these pathetic Prophets of Doom. Their frantic desire for The End Times reeks of a palpable fear of death without the promised afterlife, which is exactly what is in store for us all.

It's patently obvious that they have failed to make their here-and-now lives work for them in any way. They are social outcasts and spiritually bereft.

Harold Camping and the author of this link are both of the same cloth: The Holy Church of The Damned and Desperate.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM

64,070 posts, read 40,350,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Yes, you've got to love this sort of hedging and mumbo-jumbo. From the link provided, this clarity:

"Scriptures would seem to suggest that Nuclear war comes after the gathering, but this interpretation could be wrong."
As familiar as I am with scriptures, rifle . . . I know of no references to nuclear war . . . or nuclear anything for that matter. Human imagination is a powerful . . . but too often misused tool.
Quote:
Harold Camping and the author of this link are both of the same cloth: The Holy Church of The Damned and Desperate.
I truly enjoy your deprecating wit, rifle.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM

230 posts, read 408,719 times
OMG only 1 more day!!!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,146,068 times
Oh, hell no!

The 28th is my birthday!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,595,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyOgre View Post
OMG only 1 more day!!!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,899 times
I like Ron Reese. I'll stand by him. Maybe his head isn't always right on the money, but his heart is. A spirit -fillled soul in today's western world will certainly look a lot crazier than sane. I'm actually a Muslim writing from Indonesia - I know we are misunderstood and often take a real beating from evangelicals, but that's ok-I understand where you're coming from. Your heart is in the right place. God will sort misunderstandings out later. Meanwhile, maybe Ron won't be right tomorrow, but he is right on the whole, and sooner than later, too. We knew this turkey they put in the White House was given the Nobel Peace prize precisely because they knew they wanted this upcoming war. We call the western system and its current figurehead, 'Dajjal' here. It is the same idea as 'antichrist.' Ron has been all over that from the beginning.
We don't have a 'rapture' idea in Islam. It could be true. If not, the date of April 11 looks intriguing. Imagine, Elijah is supposed to come. The Jews expect him at Passover (which is why they set a place for him annually at the Seder). If you look at the Hebrew Scripture, Elijah was called 'destroyer' or 'troubler' of Israel. He came from beyond the Jordan to denounce and oppose the leadership and to ruin the agrarian economy (by choking off rain). His manner was direct, goading, antagonistic. Will Elijah return in the midst of this Passover and do similarly to the antichrist? If oil gets choked off, what then? The world is preconditioned to despise Elijah. Your Christian bible indicates that when the antichrist kills him, people will celebrate. Your Elijah is possibly our Mahdi. Amen. Come Messiah, Jesus.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,550,536 times
Relax, the suspense is over!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,651,542 times
It ain't over yet! Today is the day, the 28th, and it could happen (whatever "it" is) tonight for all we know. Why did I even bother to color my hair?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,712,894 times
The Rapture was not taught by Jesus, but is a later theory of man's interpretations of obscure verses, strung together to 'prove' a point.

Back in the 70's, my brother was caught up in a religious cult whose leader told his followers the exact date that they would be Raptured. My brother ran up all his credit, sold everything he had, and went with his cult somewhere out West (he lived in Columbus, OH at the time) to go meet Jesus. My brother has had no communication with us since - but thanks to the Internet, I know where he lives and works now (Westerville, OH).

I really pity people who so desperately need to believe that they are 'the chosen ones' whom God will snatch up, out of harm's way. Whether because of their need to believe that they are 'better' than everyone, or their terror of death and the evils predicted in the Bible, or their desires to influence and/or terrorize everyone else for once in their sad, directionless, purposeless lives - doesn't matter. What is sad is that they will do it over and over again, fall for it over and over again, excuse the preachers who have lied to them over and over again - because they desperately need to.

I simply can't imagine the daily depression and horror of living through that anguished hope and promise, over and over, only to be "left behind" once more by their God. In spite of all of the wars, the governments, and the individuals who seek to warp and twist millions of peoples' lives, life is a great gift, that should not be squandered on hoping to avoid the learning and growing processes it offers.

If I were to believe in anything about the end times, it would be that those of us at the end times were "Saturday's Warriors" - specifically chosen to be in at the end of the world to fight the overwhelming evil predicted. I would prefer to be a warrior saving others in God's name, than a coward begging for salvation from the evil we are supposed to oppose.

The sun has poured its golden glory over the eastern hills, the sky is a particularly glorious shade of blue, and I go to cut some free firewood that was offered to me yesterday. As usual, if the Rapture comes, it will find me working.

Last edited by SCGranny; 01-28-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,899 times
SCGranny gets an 'A' in composition. What lovely tone. I agree with much of it. Having said that, if we are to believe the prophets in Christianity and Islam, then we must believe in a Judgement Day. We can't shrug it off as an attractive delusion for the socially inept (though it is that, too).
I don't want to believe trouble is coming. I'm happier and with more opportunities than ever. I really feel that Obama is going to steer the world into war. I can't shake it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity