Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times

Advertisements

Paul met Jesus on the way to Damascus, when he was Saul. (Acts 9) God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
But, Paul never met Jesus. He was not an original apostle.
There are some scholars that feel Paul might have been homosexual and he struggled with this all his life.

Spong on Paul - YouTube
One can speculate all one wants what "thorn in the flesh" Paul had. But for what purpose? We do know he asked God three times to remove it but was told "My grace is sufficient..." (1 Corinthians 12:7-10).

Acts 9:4-7 doesn’t specify whether the Lord’s encounter with Paul was physical or not. It only says Paul saw a bright light and heard a voice. The men with him heard a loud sound but didn’t see anything. In subsequent re-tellings of the encounter Paul never indicated that He had actually seen Jesus at that time.

But Paul did spend 3 years in Arabia where he received the Gospel from the Lord (Galatians 1:11-17). And he made a visit to the Throne of God (2 Corinthians 12:1-4) where he saw things he was not allowed to talk about. In 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 when Paul recounted all the Lord’s post resurrection appearances, he included himself as one who had seen Him.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Acts 9:4-7 doesn’t specify whether the Lord’s encounter with Paul was physical or not. It only says Paul saw a bright light and heard a voice. The men with him heard a loud sound but didn’t see anything. In subsequent re-tellings of the encounter Paul never indicated that He had actually seen Jesus at that time.
But Paul did spend 3 years in Arabia where he received the Gospel from the Lord (Galatians 1:11-17). And he made a visit to the Throne of God (2 Corinthians 12:1-4) where he saw things he was not allowed to talk about. In 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 when Paul recounted all the Lord’s post resurrection appearances, he included himself as one who had seen Him.
Hi, in response to the statement that Paul never met Jesus, I disagree because he met Jesus on the way Damascus. He may not have physically seen Him, but he met Him because Jesus told him who He was (Acts 9 vs. 5,Acts 22) So I believe that Paul did meet Jesus here and as you shared, later told of times when he had seen the Lord. God bless and peace.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
One can speculate all one wants what "thorn in the flesh" Paul had. But for what purpose? We do know he asked God three times to remove it but was told "My grace is sufficient..." (1 Corinthians 12:7-10).

we have really good meds now that can contro the siezure symptoms associated with bright lights and auditory hallucinations.

Spong and others are right in that the writings of Paul are the writings of Paul and NOT The writings of God. As for placing Paul on the pantheon of enlightened teachers/thikers, I don't. I'd put him somewhere in between religious fanatics and people with agendas....I certainly do;t take his writings as anything all that...not like he was the (a) Buddha or something

I don't see what the big deal with Paul is, but then again, I don't endorse his religion or his mentally ill way of thinking either....I Do not want to miss out a chance either to reassert as I often do that Paul was most certainly Mentally Ill.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I agree with this. God bless and peace.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,130 times
~ The Apostle Peter called Paul 'our Beloved Brother'.

Paul was accepted by The Apostle Peter. That's good enough for me.

Althought, I find it interesting
The Apostle Peter didn't credit Paul as an Apostle.
But, just as their 'Beloved Brother'.

I have no problem believing Paul to be an Apostle.
But, of his own 'letters' is proof that
not every word from Paul was from God.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM

Paul makes mistakes:

At times Paul professes his own 'doctrine'. - 2Tim.3:10

Paul wanted them to bear him in even more 'Folly'. - 2Cor.11:1

"Folly Is A Joy To Him
Who Is Destitute 0f Discernment" - Prov.15:21

Now, is 'All Scripture' The Word 0f God from Paul's 'letters' ?

No, this is a 'false Doctrine'.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM

I accept Paul as a brother and apostle of the Lord. I have no problems with anything that he taught or with his life.

1 Timothy 1

12And I give thanks to him who enabled me -- Christ Jesus our Lord -- that he did reckon me stedfast, having put [me] to the ministration,

13who before was speaking evil, and persecuting, and insulting, but I found kindness, because, being ignorant, I did [it] in unbelief,
14and exceedingly abound did the grace of our Lord, with faith and love that [is] in Christ Jesus:
15stedfast [is] the word, and of all acceptation worthy, that Christ Jesus came to the world to save sinners -- first of whom I am;
16but because of this I found kindness, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all long-suffering, for a pattern of those about to believe on him to life age-during: 17and to the King of the ages, the incorruptible, invisible, only wise God, [is] honour and glory -- to the ages of the ages! Amen. (YLT)

God bless and peace.

God bless.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM

~ I don't have a problem with Paul.
He was human and fallible. As we are.

My problem lies with the false doctrines of Paul.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM

Hi, I don't have any problem with his teachings either. If he lived today, I would give him a big hug and thank him for his example, leadership, all that he suffered for the Lord, and for what he taught and shared with the believers. God bless and peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity