Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,714,833 times

Advertisements

As a Roman Catholic, I was baptised as an infant into the ONE TRUE CHURCH. I have no need to be "born again."

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,645,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
As a Roman Catholic, I was baptised as an infant into the ONE TRUE CHURCH. I have no need to be "born again."
I was baptized as an infant in to Roman Catholicism. I also did the first communion, was confirmed, and was also an altar server. It did nothing for me. Throughout my teenage years in was clearly I was not regenerate.

This all changed when I was 29 years old. Faith came by hearing (in my case reading) the "Word of God" (Romans 10:17). Something happened, and I looked to the Scriptures to see what it was. It was the Holy Spirit. The result was believing and repentance.

All must be born again from above as the Scriptures state. What ultimately saves the believer from damnation is God's Holy Spirit.

God sees white and black with the Sin issue. He cannot look upon it or be in its presence. We are Justified by Faith in Christ (Romans 4,5). It is a free gift that can't be earned or deserved (Ephesians 2:8-10). << This is a very offensive truth to many.

There is no respect of persons with God. (Romans 2:11)

Romans 3

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Isaiah 53

King James Version (KJV)

53 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,400,927 times
Quote:
Thank you. Economy of words is a wonderful thing. I don't know how people carve out so much time from their day to be walking Bibles, nor do I know what it accomplishes.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM

33,325 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
Hornet67, I hope you understand that if you have never personally believed in Jesus Christ for eternal life then you are not born again but are still under condemnation and will spend eternity separated from God in the lake of fire. Being baptised in water does not save anyone.

You must understand that in order to be eternally saved you have to place your trust in Jesus Christ who died as a substitute for you. Placing your trust in water baptism or anything other than Jesus Christ alone will not save you.

Acts 16:30 and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31] They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household (contingent upon their personal faith in Christ)."

John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hornet67, I hope you understand that if you have never personally believed in Jesus Christ for eternal life then you are not born again but are still under condemnation and will spend eternity separated from God in the lake of fire. Being baptised in water does not save anyone.

You must understand that in order to be eternally saved you have to place your trust in Jesus Christ who died as a substitute for you. Placing your trust in water baptism or anything other than Jesus Christ alone will not save you.

Acts 16:30 and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31] They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household (contingent upon their personal faith in Christ)."

John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."
Look, buddy, please spare me your "born again" blathering and whatever else you "learned" from some lowbrow TV hick preacher, begging for your money.
You obviously have NO idea what the Roman Catholic Church is, and what the ONE TRUE CHURCH represents. I ain't buying what you are selling, not now, not EVER!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM

9,899 posts, read 1,286,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
JN 3:14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
JN 3:15 That whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.
JN 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

1COR 8:6 "But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

2COR 5:21 "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him."

COL 1:19 "For it pleased the Father that in Him should all fullness dwell;"

Only in Him can one experience the fullness of God in bodily form. It is not enough to know about Him as in what Theology is all about but we are to be in Him by the Spirit of Adoption, the sixth of the seven ministries of God and follow Him.

ROM 8:14-18 "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but you have received the Spirit of Adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
Amen Gary!

The scriptures say what they say, and no matter what some people may say, the translations you cited are absolutely correct.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM

33,325 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
Look, buddy, please spare me your "born again" blathering and whatever else you "learned" from some lowbrow TV hick preacher, begging for your money.
You obviously have NO idea what the Roman Catholic Church is, and what the ONE TRUE CHURCH represents. I ain't buying what you are selling, not now, not EVER!
Your hostile attitude is unwarranted. I have directed your attention to what the Bible plainly states. Jesus Himself said that you must be born again. If you listen to what the Catholic church says and reject what the word of God says then you will perish.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Your hostile attitude is unwarranted. I have directed your attention to what the Bible plainly states. Jesus Himself said that you must be born again. If you listen to what the Catholic church says and reject what the word of God says then you will perish.
So, in your universe, do you dare say that if I "listen to what the Catholic Church says and reject what the word of God says then you will perish." ??
More fundamentalist claptrap; don't insult my intelligence, or, especially , my CHURCH, again!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,854,805 times
Quote:
So, in your universe, do you dare say that if I "listen to what the Catholic Church says and reject what the word of God says then you will perish." ??
More fundamentalist claptrap; don't insult my intelligence, or, especially , my CHURCH, again!

Are you really suggesting that the Catholic church is telling you that because you attend/belong to the Catholic church, you do NOT need to be 'born again?'

With the exception of a few apocryphal books between the Old and New Testament, the Catholic church uses the same Bible as anyone else. If you are suggesting that the Catholic church rejects the book of John and the specific teaching of Jesus that "You must be born again," ... you need to go back to your church authorities ... and ask again.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,545,240 times
Quote:
I was just talking to a Roman Catholic the other day who went to mass every morning and bible studies often. We did not get into any disputes between denominational doctrine which thing I avoid as much as is possible. I want only to speak of Christ and His word or just everyday topics. He told me he was "born again" of the Spirit and I could tell, you can not hide the light of Christ. We had a wonderful time together sharing many scripture and being blessed by the Spirit.

Last edited by garya123; 05-14-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity