Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I don't think so ... I jumped the gun. I found the parable he was talking about, it just doesn't mean what he thinks it does ... imo.
Are you thinking it is 1 Cor 15, Pleroo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's right. To Hell with everybody else. Because I only have one soul and I'm not risking it for everybody else to burn in an eternal inferno. Call me selfish. Don't really care. I choose to go to Heaven.
At least you are honest enough to admit what most of Christianity is in deniable about what they believe salvation is.

He came that we might have life and life more abundantly.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No ... see post 10

Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,811 times
Quote:
That's right. To Hell with everybody else. Because I only have one soul and I'm not risking it for everybody else to burn in an eternal inferno. Call me selfish. Don't really care. I choose to go to Heaven.
Wow. This kind of reminds me of that whole "me first, screw everyone else" mentality Liberals often accuse conservatives of having. And I thought it only existed in politics ;p

If a theological idea sounds morally insane, it probably is. If I got to heaven and I found out that this eternal torture hell you believe in was actually happening, I would gladly take an "atheists death" (becoming nothingness) if it meant that the suffering of any one person in hell would end...though I might wait a year or so if I found it it had to be Hitler or a few others like him ;p but I'd still do it. If "being on fire for Christ" means thinking like you (and there was a time when I did), I want nothing to do with it. Luckily, I discovered it doesn't have to.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
To Hell with everybody else. Because I only have one soul and I'm not risking it for everybody else to burn in an eternal inferno.
Call me selfish. Don't really care. I choose to go to Heaven.
There was a toast while in College that went like this:

"Here's to you and here is to me, if we shall ever disagree; to hell with you, here's to me."

(And they drank of the wine of her fornication.)

Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Well, you had me curious. I think you got your stories mixed up a bit because the "with me/against me" bit is elsewhere (per my last post), but I did find what you were talking about. Luke 19 and Matt 25. The nobleman in the Luke parable does ask for his enemies who to be brought and slain before him. (In Matthew the servant is to be thrown into outer darkness. Both are, as you said, parables, and Jesus gives no explanation for either parable, so it's up for discussion.)

I do find it interesting that immediately prior to telling this parable in Luke the "righteous" Jewish crowd was upset with Jesus because he was eating with Zacchaeus, a sinner ... shock and horror . Jesus told Zachcaeus that he had come to save that which was lost. Hardly sounds like somebody interested in going around slaying people. Then the expectation the self-righteous crowd had about the coming of the kingdom is mentioned, and then Jesus told his parable.

Jesus had a whole lot to say to the self-righteous religious people throughout his ministry, often in parables, indicating that even though they thought they were all that and a bag of chips, the kindgdom/reign that they thought they were supposed to inherit wouldn't be theirs after all because they had mishandled it and misunderstood it's purpose (to save that which was lost).

So, the slaying thing ... I'm not seeing it the way you do. Jesus' "psyche" and the kingdom was all about saving the lost, but the people who had been entrusted with that message of salvation were, instead, intent on hogging their precious kingdom and keeping it from those they deemed unworthy. Those were the servants in the parable who were considered to be enemies of the kingdom. They just didn't get that the message of the kingdom is one of UNCONDITIONAL LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE and they, with their unmerciful and judgmental hearts, were destined to reap what they had sown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
No ... see post 10
Thanks. Excellent study and interpretation, Pleroo.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
it takes a person to be mentally sick to say that they will look at people burning in a literal fire while they tiptoe on streets of gold . Hitler, the people hitler killed, the kids and thier moms, will be screaming. While you walk on streets of gold. Thank God that our salvation comes from on High.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
it takes a person to be mentally sick to say that they will look at people burning in a literal fire while they tiptoe on streets of gold . Hitler, the people hitler killed, the kids and thier moms, will be screaming. While you walk on streets of gold. Thank God that our salvation comes from on High.
Wait for the "his ways are higher than ours" response.. Lord have mercy upon us for even entertaining such a dispicable notion,never mind believing in it.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-13-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
How many times do I have to say this? People in Heaven cannot see anyone in Hell. People in Hell see us. It's not like it's everyone though. There are different torments in Hell that people experience. That is one of them that some may or may not have. If it makes you feel any better, I think Satan can see people going to Heaven too. Just don't choose to go there and you can avoid all of this.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:37 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
From the scripture in Luke 16: 19-31... The rich man was in hell and His old servant was in Abraham bosom, which was a holding place for people of the Old Covenant would be placed until Jesus came and died on the cross , then Abraham bosom was closed down and the people souls and spirit were sent to a new heaven were people would not be able to see the spirits in hell ... See none on the people that were in Abraham bosom were born again , , but were saved by their obedience and the compassion for the things of God and God selected them out of Israel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity