Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Just don't choose to go there and you can avoid all of this.
Oh really?! It's really that simple?! All this time I thought there was more to it!! WOW, silly me! Thank goodness everyone who has ever been born was born into a Christian Culture where they had it taught to them all their lives with no other competing religion or scientific ideas and of course has never been oppressed by a Christian!! Man, those stupid people who don't accept Christ in their 1 to 120 year lifetimes, they all deserve an eternity of torture for being so stupid!!!...oh wait..

(awaits contextually questionable or invalid "they are without excuse" verse)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Oh really?! It's really that simple?!
Yup.

Quote:
(awaits contextually questionable or invalid "they are without excuse" verse)
Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

And it's not just speaking. There are Muslims and people of other religions who have been given dreams of Jesus dying on the cross for their sins. God is a supernatural God and he will have the word witnessed to every individual on this Earth through whatever source or venue it may take. So yes, no one will be without excuse. The choice is yours.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,811 times
Quote:
Yup.

Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

And it's not just speaking. There are Muslims and people of other religions who have been given dreams of Jesus dying on the cross for their sins. God is a supernatural God and he will have the word witnessed to every individual on this Earth through whatever source or venue it may take. So yes, no one will be without excuse. The choice is yours.
Yeah..a few random people in other cultures assuming your sources are 100% legit (though I don't doubt the possibility of God sending messages to other cultures).. and because the vast majority either didn't listen to or believe these few people for whatever reason (couldn't possibly be a good one ;p ), they get tortured for all eternity and its all fair and square... I have no words to express this level of logical and moral insanity... But considering I use to think these were good arguments and good logic for an eternal torture hell aswell, I might have to ask my parents if they ever fed me paint chips when I was a kid.

Meh, I just have to remind myself that when alot of people are raised a certain way, they can throw logic completely out the window because they assume something to be true and never really think about it. Hmmm...I wonder if other cultures might have this same problem...especially ones that have a much worse and more graphically explained version of hell than Christianity does

...speaking of which..Hey allenk893, since apparently your biggest motivator to accept Christ is questionable torture hell, does that mean you might just convert to Islam once you realize that their hell is much worse?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Yeah..a few random people in other cultures assuming your sources are 100% legit (though I don't doubt the possibility of God sending messages to other cultures).. and because the vast majority either didn't listen to or believe these few people for whatever reason (couldn't possibly be a good one ;p ), they get tortured for all eternity and its all fair and square... I have no words to express this level of logical and moral insanity... But considering I use to think these were good arguments and good logic for an eternal torture hell aswell, I might have to ask my parents if they ever fed me paint chips when I was a kid.

Meh, I just have to remind myself that when alot of people are raised a certain way, they can throw logic completely out the window because they assume something to be true and never really think about it. Hmmm...I wonder if other cultures might have this same problem...especially ones that have a much worse and more graphically explained version of hell than Christianity does

...speaking of which..Hey allenk893, since apparently your biggest motivator to accept Christ is questionable torture hell, does that mean you might just convert to Islam once you realize that their hell is much worse?
I've wondered about this general idea too. If the "real thing" is, say, Hinduism, and Christians are wrong, does that mean that Hindus who were raised in that tradition, were immersed in it culturally, went to school learning it, had friends who practiced it, etc., really have a right to claim their personal faith is "stronger" somehow just because it winds up being the right one?

It seems weird to me that a stipulation separating harps and clouds from skin-flaying and disembowling while being set on fire, could rest on something as thoughtless and cavalier as, "X percent of those born to the tradition will believe it just from immersion...but they happen to believe the right thing pretty much by accident and circumstance, so they're saved."

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
If you wanna read a book obsessed with hell read the Koran/Qu'ran.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If you wanna read a book obsessed with hell read the Koran/Qu'ran.
I don't think it's the book so much as the latter beliefs of its followers. From what I see, the bible doesn't obsess over hell, either.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't think it's the book so much as the latter beliefs of its followers. From what I see, the bible doesn't obsess over hell, either.
Have you read the Koran? Hell definitely features ALOT in it.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Have you read the Koran? Hell definitely features ALOT in it.
No, I said hell doesn't feature as much into the Bible as current Christianity focuses on it. I don't know how the Q'uran reads. I haven't read it. I don't even know if I just spelled it correctly.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, I said hell doesn't feature as much into the Bible as current Christianity focuses on it. I don't know how the Q'uran reads. I haven't read it. I don't even know if I just spelled it correctly.
I thought we were talking about the Koran. I said it focused a lot on hell and you said you didn't think it was the book so much as the followers...

Anyway, mainstream Christianity these days actually has tried to downplay hell a lot. In the past hell and fear were emphasized more than God's love.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 AM

351 posts, read 355,384 times
Quote:
You just don't get it. There is no point. Unless you have faith to trust in him and fear him, you will never understand. I made the choice a long time ago that I didn't give a crap who went to Hell or not. I was going to go to Heaven no matter what. I didn't care if my entire family went to Hell (which they won't), I was still going to make it. When I choose to believe Jesus Christ is my savior, I chose to take up the cross and leave the world behind. I chose to love no one first but him. Because not only did I want to go to Heaven, I wasn't going to go to a Hell even if I thought it existed or not. I cannot risk my own soul for what-if's. I chose to believe what Jesus did for me on the cross and that's that. I separate myself from the world and cling to him because of the promise he made. Everything else after that, he will reveal to you.

God knows how many questions I've asked regarding Heaven, Hell, people, my spirit, etc. I've had every single one answered and now understand the Bible I read. That is the reason I am so on fire for him now. I don't speak so zealously because I am blindly Christian. I speak this way because of what I have experienced, learned, and where he has taken me in this life. If it wasn't true, I wouldn't be arguing with you. If you want to receive the same knowledge I have, you have to first make the choice that you want to go to Heaven. Because some people only want to go to Heaven on their own conditions. Doesn't work that way. You either want to go to Heaven or you don't. When you make the choice that you do and will leave your love of the world behind to get there, you will have no problem getting the truth.

Hi allenk If you really don't care about who goes to hell, even your whole family you don't understand God at all. We are to love others as our selves. If you don't care about others God is not in you. To look at others suffer and no care about it is completely opposite of Jesus.

Why people think God will punish people forever is beyond me. God says love your enemy but he does not have to follow his own laws? really. God's judgements are and will be just at all times. They are to teach us and make our hearts change and we will repent and the carnality will be burned out of us and we will learn righteouness. We will become like our Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity