Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 11:12 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What i take of this is that everyone starts off the same but that someone becomes gay because they dwell on the gay thoughts vs someone who had a fleeting gay thought but did not dwell on it?

i believe everyone has gay thoughts
I can speak for me. I've never once felt sexually attracted to a woman in my 32 years on this planet. I've only ever been attracted to other men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:25 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
What i take of this is that everyone starts off the same but that someone becomes gay because they dwell on the gay thoughts vs someone who had a fleeting gay thought but did not dwell on it?

i believe everyone has gay thoughts
An excerpt from Stranger at the Gate, To Be Gay and Christian in America by Mel White (1994), about his time as a teenager in the fifties.

Quote:
In the closet, I learned two things necessary for the survival of a typical gay adolescent. First, pretend that you like girls,. And second, don't let anyone know that you really like boys. I wasn't pretending in order to deceive or mislead; I didn't want to be drawn to boys. So I pretended to like girls because it was "the right thing to do." For me, pretending was doing right.

It wasn't so difficult in elementary and early junior high school when my hormones were more or less in check. Avoiding girls and hanging out with guys was just part of the package. But during those four years in high school, I had to be on guard against my natural feelings every hour of every day, even when I slept.

In high school as in junior high gym, when I stood in the showers with other naked boys, or with my teammates in locker rooms, I lived in constant fear of being stimulated and having an untimely erection.-----

And though I was tortured by them, now I know that my longings were normal for a young gay man. Even when my hormones were raging, I didn't molest or misuse anyone. I didn't even know about oral or anal sex in those early days. Haunted by my own homophobia, I couldn't imagine how wonderful and how natural it could be for me to make love to another gay man. I just wanted someone to hold my hand or touch my face or hold me in his arms.
Stranger at the Gate, Simon & Schuster, Copyright 1994, pgs. 32-33

Mel White was married for 25 years--to a woman. Is father to two children, the son and grandson of evangelical pastors, and served as a ghost writer (in the closet at the time) for Billy Graham, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, W. A. Criswell, and Jim and Tammy Bakker. He was raised a Christian and attended services from a very young age. Today, at 74, he still remains active in the Christian faith having served as Dean of Dallas' Cathedral of Hope, the largest gay church in America. The forward to the cited book was written by his former wife. They remain friends today and she saw his struggle with his feelings as he underwent psychotherapy including hypnosis and even electroshock therapy to "change" who he is.

He didn't choose to be gay. He didn't want to be gay. And for years he was homophobic about his own feelings.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 12-05-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 08:28 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Help me understand.....

Does this mean people who are born gay can't have sex if they are Christian?

Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,549 times
Having sexual fantasies about someone is different than having romantic feelings for someone.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Well,it is not so simple.
Many people can be sexually attracted to someone without romantic thoughts.
For example,what about men who are attracted to women romantically but men sexually?

Say a guy is married to a women but has had homosexual thought all of his life.

Would he be considered gay?

Also
That depends on the fantasy. Many men have homoerotic fantasies but are not gay. Some men are turned on not by being with another man but by the shame of being with another man. It would take me forever to explain here, so all I will say it that everyone is different and humans are complex, crazy creatures, haha.

If someone goes beyond fantasy then things get even more complicated.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
That depends on the fantasy. Many men have homoerotic fantasies but are not gay. Some men are turned on not by being with another man but by the shame of being with another man. It would take me forever to explain here, so all I will say it that everyone is different and humans are complex, crazy creatures, haha.

If someone goes beyond fantasy then things get even more complicated.
You are basically saying what i said above...that everyone, has had a homosexual thought at some point before.

But then that is the question.....are they really sinning if they have homosexual thoughts?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,925 times
Quote:
Or is it the action itself(having sex with a member of the same sex as yourself) that makes you gay?

I'm trying to find out from a Christian point of view. I treid to post on the Relationship forum but I didn't understand.
I remember reading on a Christian website that its the sex act itself that makes you a homosexual.
I'm confused.
Does that mean virgins can't be gay because they have not had any sex?
I see all these teens who say they are gay but they are virgins.
Guess Men who wish to sodomize there wives are Gay to.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Many men have homoerotic fantasies but are not gay.
How is that possible that they are not gay?

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 12-05-2014, 09:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times
Quote:
How is that possible that they are not gay?
They're bisexual

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You are basically saying what i said above...that everyone, has had a homosexual thought at some point before.

But then that is the question.....are they really sinning if they have homosexual thoughts?
I do not believe that homosexuality is a sin, therefore my answer is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity