Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM

398 posts, read 546,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
WILL YOU GIVE IT A REST ALREADY WITH ALL THE CONDEMNATION!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with going to church for a watch night service to bring in the new year in the house of God. In our current Calendar the new year is Jan 1rst...while it makes no sense for a new year to start in the middle of winter, it is what it is and we cant change the calendar now. This is not the biblical days when the new year started in March. We live in the USA and the New Year begins January 1rst here.

As long as your not being involved in drunkenness and lewd behavior, your doing nothing wrong.
Absolutely!! Well Said!!

We already know that a lot of the Holidays and Holy Days have checkered or Pagan pasts. So what!

For generations various countries have used Holidays AND Holy Days as an opportunity to reflect or pray or celebrate. Personally I always liked the idea of those "Midnight Services" on Christmas and New Years. But, then again, I am also a fan of Early Morning Services on Easter---which BTW also had some Pagan associations with the Solar calendar.

If I could make a suggestion, maybe all Holidays should be scheduled to fall on former Pagan dates so that those dates could be claimed by the Modern World and given a "new life" under a new belief system. 'Course it will probably never go anywhere.......too much trouble I guess.

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 AM

6,485 posts, read 6,696,244 times
Sheesh, what a bunch of kill-joys. You really think God would be upset if you gather with friends and family, enjoy some special treats, maybe have some balloons, let the kids stay up later than usual, and welcome in a new calendar year? I suppose you could do a fun gathering on some other evening if that somehow makes it less evil, but the fact that most people don't have to work on Jan. 1 makes it convenient to celebrate Dec 31.

If Christians spent more time figuring out how to show love to others rather than finding the evil in everyday simply joys, more people might want to know more about Christianity.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,921,131 times
Please educate yourselves about St Augustine of Kent, one of the first Christian missionaries to Britain. He advocated building churches on sites sacred to the old pagan religions, changing pagan holidays to Christian holy days, carving crosses on old standing stones, using plants considered sacred in pagan beliefs for Christian purposes - holly, ivy, mistletoe, evergreens...and he experienced considerable success with such insightful tactics, converting thousands to Christianity.

St. Augustine of Kent eased the way by allowing these new believers to keep the trappings of their old ways, and gently taught them that while they were right in recognizing these things as sacred, the Good News of the Gospel brought full awareness of their true symbolic meanings and significance. Such wisdom and tolerance won far more hearts and souls than would rigid, forced observance of new practices alien to those whose previous beliefs were being challenged.

It was Martin Luther who came up with the Christmas tree, I believe, but evergreens, candles, and fires were strongly associated with the winter solstice and the shortening and lengthening of days. Yule was celebrated in the Norse countries long before they became Christian - the customs endured; the meaning changed, and both the church and most of our lives are the richer for it. "...You can hear them echoing, down the centuries...Welcome, Yule!" (Susan Cooper. "The Shortest Day").

As for the date of Christmas, obviously the Roman Saturnalia was celebrated around the same time, as was the winter solstice. The true time of Christ's birth is believed to have been in late winter to early spring, when shepherds would have been keeping watch at night for birthing ewes and newborn lambs. It is interesting to Bible historians, but of little theological significance.

As for New Year's Eve/Day, this is more a date of convenience than anything else, although various customs, folk beliefs and practices have sprung up around it. January 1 is not a traditional Judeao-Christian holiday, although it's not uncommon for Watch Night church services to be held, as a time of contemplation and resolution to improve one's spirituality and relationship with God and one's fellow beings. Obviously Rosh Hashannah does have religious signficance, as do various other "New Year's Days" observed in various faiths and various places.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,466,525 times
i am so hard core, when i got married i didnt even smile. that would have constituted celebrating. when my kids were born and i frowned. I landed the best job in the world, i was upset.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM

398 posts, read 546,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i am so hard core, when i got married i didnt even smile. that would have constituted celebrating. when my kids were born and i frowned. I landed the best job in the world, i was upset.
Good man!! Keep that scowl going....otherwise God may findout that you were secretly smiling...... and boy-oh-boy will YOU be in trouble!!!

I'm off to pray for all of those poor comedians......obviously sombody's God has already determined what He has in store for THEM!!

FWIW.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,151,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Sheesh, what a bunch of kill-joys. You really think God would be upset if you gather with friends and family, enjoy some special treats, maybe have some balloons, let the kids stay up later than usual, and welcome in a new calendar year? I suppose you could do a fun gathering on some other evening if that somehow makes it less evil, but the fact that most people don't have to work on Jan. 1 makes it convenient to celebrate Dec 31.

If Christians spent more time figuring out how to show love to others rather than finding the evil in everyday simply joys, more people might want to know more about Christianity.

Exactly

Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,593,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
As Christmas is pagan and part of the Mark of the Beast, so is New Year's.

This article will show you that New Year's comes from paganism:

Article: The Truth About NEW YEAR'S!
Title: The Truth About New Year's!
Publication: The Plain Truth
Issue: Dec 1964
Publisher: Ambassador College
Editor: Herbert W Armstrong
Number: Vol 29, No 12
Page: 25
Type: Article
Type Media: PDF
Article:

http://www.cog-web-svc.com/hwa/pt/19..._New_Years.pdf

If you are truly a Christian you should avoid both Christmas and New Year's...
As a true Christian I don't have to avoid anything at that is not expressedly prohibited in the bible!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,398,670 times
"Even the Bible is Syncretistical in nature, often combining contradictory belief systems; heaven and hell."

Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM

951 posts, read 1,054,466 times
Here are the last words of the article presented at the introduction of this thread:

"New Year's celebration began in Babylon 4,000 years ago. It is practiced today by almost every people on the face of the earth. Satan the Devil has indeed deceived the whole world! (Rev. 12:9.) But God Almighty has sent His ministers to warn this world—to cry aloud, and spare not, and SHOW His PEOPLE THEIR SINS (Isa. 58:1) . Punishment will not be forever withheld! May God help you to HEED THIS WARNING, and forsake the pagan practices of this modern world!"

http://www.cog-web-svc.com/hwa/pt/19..._New_Years.pdf

Satan has indeed deceived the whole world except those who have been called out of this present evil world and who have received God's Holy Spirit...

Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM

121 posts, read 107,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who came up with this idea that holidays shouldn't be celebrated because they have pagan roots and are thus impossible to "Christianize"?
In my experience, it is usually a holdover of ancient superstitious beliefs in the intrinsic evil of things and symbols. It never made sense to me. Things do not define me or what I am doing. I do. I do not see how it would be possible to worship Satan or anything else if I didn't intend to do it. It seems irrational to think I could be pagan if I didn't want to be no matter what I was celebrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity