Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Or is it meaningless? Meaning I'm praying to a name,but not the true God? In other words I'm praying to nothing,because that might not be his name?
What is it that you are praying for, spiritual matters or ?

The Tetragrammaton [ YHWH ] is not originally written as Jehovah.
But the most common accepted English pronunciation of God's personal name is Jehovah as seen in the older KJV Bible at Psalm 83 v 18.

Jesus said his Father name should be hallowed, held sacred, sanctified.
Jesus also said his Father's name would be made manifest and be declared at John 17 vs 6,26.

Jesus said we are to pray according to God's will being done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
According to Scripture God's will for Heaven is good conditions.
No one goes to Heaven to be sick or die in heaven, no war in heaven, no pollution, etc.
So, then we are to pray that those same peaceful good conditions that exist in Heaven also come to exist here on Earth.
Jesus said we are also to pray for God's spirit to aid us at Luke 11 v 13 B.
Jesus knew God's will for him was to teach about God's kingdom. -Luke 4 v 43
Jesus' followers would also likewise proclaim the good news of God's kingdom, but now as being part of an international scale. - Matthew 24 v 14; 28 vs 19,20
So, as Jesus did not pray to nothing, and Jesus knew his Father's holy name, according to Scripture so can we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do not believe God is concerned about what you call Him . . . but I too follow Christ and pray to "Our Father in Heaven."
If God was not concerned, then why did Jesus add 'hallowed be thy name ' ?
Jesus believed it important enough that his Father's name should be held sacred, holy or sanctified.
Jesus also taught that his Father's name was made manifest and would be declared according to John 17 vs 6,26

Lord and God are just titles and not personal names.
For example:
Please notice in the KJV Bible at Psalm 110 v 1 that there are two [2] LORD/Lord's mentioned.
The LORD in all upper-case letters is where the Tetragrammaton 'YHWH' stood.
The four letters [YHWH ] that stand for God's personal name.
Whereas, ' Lord ' in some lower-case letters never applies to God's personal name, but applies at Psalm 110 v 1 to Jesus as Lord.

The old KJV Bible uses the accepted English pronunciation of God's personal name [YHWH ]at Psalm 83 v 18.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If God was not concerned, then why did Jesus add 'hallowed be thy name ' ?
Jesus believed it important enough that his Father's name should be held sacred, holy or sanctified.
Jesus also taught that his Father's name was made manifest and would be declared according to John 17 vs 6,26

Lord and God are just titles and not personal names.
For example:
Please notice in the KJV Bible at Psalm 110 v 1 that there are two [2] LORD/Lord's mentioned.
The LORD in all upper-case letters is where the Tetragrammaton 'YHWH' stood.
The four letters [YHWH ] that stand for God's personal name.
Whereas, ' Lord ' in some lower-case letters never applies to God's personal name, but applies at Psalm 110 v 1 to Jesus as Lord.

The old KJV Bible uses the accepted English pronunciation of God's personal name [YHWH ]at Psalm 83 v 18.
That's my whole point. It does say"Whomever calls on my name".
God and Lord are titltes,not names.

I don't know why people are questioning my intentions,or my heart.
One time I prayed and asked for the true religion,and Jehovah Witnesses showed up the next day.
So,that's why I'm confused.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 AM

144 posts, read 149,238 times
Yahovah, hears and answers, however the answer may not the answer that you wanted. He answers according to His will, not our's. At times we misunderstand the answer we are given, we need to ask for the wisdom to understand what Yahovah is trying to tell us. Be still and know I am God/Elohim. Yes, He does have a name! He gave Moses His name to tell the people and said, this my name forever. YHVH without out the vowels. Lord, God, Master, Father, are all titles, not His name. If you look at a Torah scroll, the letters are there, the name isn't pronounced, it is pronounced as Adoni or Lord.

Last edited by standingdeer; 05-04-2013 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Scripture tell us who God hears and what He hears. Here is a look at some.

"The Lord hears the prayer of the just but He is far from the wicked."

"The just mans mouth speaks wisdom and his tongue does what is right. The law of His God is in his heart and he will never stumble."

"They will call upon my name and I will hear them. I will say they are my people and they will say the Lord is my God."

"Call upon me and I will answer you, I will show you great thinks beyond the reach of your knowledge."

"The Lord is near to everyone, to those who call upon Him in truth."

The truth, the son of man says; "Father I know that you here me, I know that you always here me."

"Father I have revealed your name to those that you have given me"

Old 05-04-2013, 02:30 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Jones View Post
I simply mean that God knows your attempting to communicate with Him even if your not getting His name just right.

How would you describe your relationship with God? I am not trying pry or make judgements but based on your question I think perhaps you need to examine such things. Or it could be that what your asking for is not God's plan or in His timing yet. Really hard to give you a direct answer without more information. But I can assure you God is capable of knowing you are trying to talk to Him.
Excellent answer. God knows when a person is addressing Him, regardless of the name the person uses. And He will answer prayers regardless of whether the name you're addressing Him by is the "right" one or not. That said, I would also agree that God doesn't always give us the answer we're hoping for or answer in what we would consider a timely fashion. When that is the case, though, I don't believe it's because we called Him by the "wrong" name.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 AM

376 posts, read 419,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Or is it meaningless? Meaning I'm praying to a name,but not the true God? In other words I'm praying to nothing,beucase that might not be his name?
God looks at the intention of your heart. He knows you are directing your prayers to Him.
There are many gods in the Bible. But only one is Yahweh, the most high supreme creator God.
2Cor 4:4 -> satan is called god.
Psalm 82:1-8 many gods stand before Yaweh
Job 38:7 several (70 I think) singing gods.
Deut 32:17. Demons are called gods.
Dead Samuel is called a god in the passage of the witch of Endor.
Etc.

Considering the above praying using a name is safer
No worries, God looks at the heart.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
God looks at the intention of your heart. He knows you are directing your prayers to Him.

Considering the above praying using a name is safer
Excellent quote.
Look at this quotation in John ch. 9 by the blind man who had been healed cy Christ. [30] The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
[31] Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Excellent quote.
Look at this quotation in John ch. 9 by the blind man who had been healed cy Christ. [30] The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
[31] Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
For the record . . . there is only ONE God, period. There is no one else to pray to. That is what "I am that I am" means. The key is whether or not we BE and DO what God expects of us. Christ showed us how to BE and DO what God expects of us. So we "believe ON/INTO" Him when we ARE and DO what He revealed.(Note: nothing about what we "believe ABOUT" Him.). If we "love God and each other" we ARE and DO what God expects of us and are disciples of Christ . . . WHATEVER we believe or do not believe.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,025 times
Matt. 7:[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
You are absolutely correct that we must be DOERS of the will of the Lord and not hearers only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity