Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,539,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes Jesus rebuked those who claimed that they did not need setting free because they already had the truth(Sound Familiar?).

Show me a scripture where Jesus rebuked anyone other than the Pharisees and Herod who was in bed with them for their sin. He didnt come to condemn that which he disapproved of but to fix it.
John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 5:28-29
“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

I suppose you read this "whoever", it was only being addressed to the Pharisees and Herod to when Jesus was speaking to the crowds.

Last edited by twin.spin; 05-12-2013 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,478,062 times
And those who have done what is evil?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,755,658 times
Default Definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Take your pick:

Luke 17:3 So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them."

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

Titus 1:13 This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith

Titus 2:15 These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.

Rebuke:
  • verb ... Express sharp disapproval or criticism of (someone) because of their behavior or actions.
  • noun ... An expression of sharp disapproval or criticism.
Jesus both condemned and rebuked:
Matthew 23:33“You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 2 Thessalonians 2:12
... all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Mark 8:33 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter.

Mark 16:14 Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

Luke 9:55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them.

Definition of rebuke from BibleStudyTools.com:

to reprimand, strongly warn, restrain

Definition of condemn (2): sentence to a particular punishment, especially death.

Jesus rebuked Peter (Mark 8:33), He rebuked the Eleven (Mark 16:14), He rebuked James and John (Luke 9:55)

He rebuked, a big difference from CONDEMNING. And Christ's rebukes are to CHRISTIANS.

And here is Christ's words to all of you, Christians:

Quote:
Luke 6:36
Be merciful as your Father also is merciful.
Luke 6:37
Jundge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.
This is a rebuke, O Christian. Don't condemn lost people. For you will receive in a double dose from God what you are metting out to those that Christ died for. He called you to witness to the lost, to pray for the lost, to be charitable to the lost--and yes, that includes gays, it includes the woman who frightened and unsure has had an abortion, it includes the man who in his anger and hurt over losing a loved shouts out that he hates God.

Your condemnation of the the lost is abominable to the Lord, your God. Your self-righteousness in proclaiming others to be evil is an attempt to make you look more righteous in the eyes of God. It is the age old sin of those who know they fall short of God's expectations and try to make themselves better in His eyes by making others look worse.

Matthew 18:21-35 RSV
Quote:
Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven."

"Therefore the kindgom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents, and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, "Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything." And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.

But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him by the throat he said, "Pay what you owe!" So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, "Have patience with me, and I will pay you." He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt.

When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, "You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me, and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?"

And in his anger his lord deliverd him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."
You may rebuke other Christians. You may not condemn anyone. God Himself claims that those who sin will be condemned. But you, O Christians choose to usurp God's throne and place the mantle of justice upon your own shoulders to condemn people that Christ died for. Nothing in the attitudes expressed here show any desire to bring the lost to Christ. Just condemnation of the "evilness" of those "horrible" people. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 5:28-29
“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

I suppose you read this "whoever", it was only being addressed to the Pharisees and Herod to when Jesus was speaking to the crowds.
Jesus is not rebuking anyone there.

Show me a scripture where Jesus rebuked anyone other than the Pharisees and Herod who was in bed with them for their sin. He didnt come to condemn that which he disapproved of but to fix it

Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,981,784 times
Quote:
Take your pick:

Titus 1:13 This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith

Let's go with this one and check the context:
10For there are many rebellious people, full of meaningless talk and deception, especially those of the circumcision group. 11They must be silenced, because they are disrupting whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach

Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 AM

10,108 posts, read 5,030,706 times
Quote:
Show me a scripture where Jesus rebuked anyone other than the Pharisees and Herod who was in bed with them for their sin. He didn't come to condemn that which he disapproved of but to fix it
Scripture: Matthew 18 v 23; Mark 8 v 33

Jesus gave a mild rebuke to Peter.

Jesus was not calling Peter as Satan, but that the word satan means: resister.
Peter's words to 'be kind to yourself' was a stumbling block for Jesus.
However, like Jesus we can use stumbling blocks as stepping stones.

Those who are in accord with fleshly desires [ bodily comforts and physical desires ] are not considering the things of the 'spirit' - spiritual focus and activity.- Romans 8 v 5.
Peter was temporarily out of spiritual balance, thus needed to hear Jesus mild rebuke to him.- Romans 7 vs 21,23

Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,829,972 times
Quote:
Like I said your condemnation of that which you disapprove of is all over the post.
That is simply not true. Everyone can read it for themselves. Your pride keeps you from admittig you are wrong.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-13-2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
If you cannot see from your own words that you are saying that we should speak the truth which you believe means tell the sinner he is a sinner, you have to be in denial. Jesus did not need to tell those who were sick that they were sinners, so who gave you the authority to do so ?.
I said we should speak the truth (like Jesus and John the baptist). The only other options are to say nothing, or to lie. If you are afraid that the truth will offend, then hold your peace, but why do you attack and accuse me for speaking the truth? Jesus did not worry about the truth offending some, because He knew it would. He even said "i did not bring peace but a sword". You are actually living proof of how some people are offended by it.

Here is my post again. I am sticking to every word, and no, there is no condemnation toward those "who I disapprove of". You have fabricated a false claim, but apparently you are too proud to admit it.

Quote:
Be bold my friends. Worry less about being a 'nice guy', and worry more about the truth, and the salvation of those you speak to.Speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Partial truth is not the truth. Talk about the importance of believing in Him. Telling the sinner that their lifestyle is not a problem will do nothing to help them find God, because their sin will create a wall between them and God. When Jesus said "people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed". He wasn't talking about just the Pharisees, He was talking about every sinner.

Do not be afraid of the truth offending some, because it will. Hiding the truth will hurt people more that it will help them. Jesus said Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them. There is a reason why Jesus added the second part of the sentence. Both parts are important

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-13-2013 at 04:49 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I said we should speak the truth (like Jesus and John the baptist). The only other options are to say nothing, or to lie.

Here is my post again. I am sticking to every word, and no, there is no condemnation todard those "who I disapprove of". Pcamps has fabricated a false claim which he has been repeating for three days, but apparently he is too proud to admit it.
Your condemnation of sin is all over the post. Who gave you the authority to speak out against sin in others?. Jesus Christ did not come to speak out and expose sin, he came to reveal the Father. He spoke life to the sick not death(see post 191).

Truth is not speaking out against sin. You obviously do not understand this. Truth is the reality of God manifested. This reality was made known to us through the Life of His son, who is the Way........our example.

Show me a scripture where Jesus spoke out to the face of anyone other than the Pharisees and Herod who was in bed with them for their sin. He didnt come to condemn that which he disapproved of but to fix it.
You have been given an example of how Jesus dealt with someone who was about to be condemned by those obsessed with the sin in others. Put down your rocks,repent and believe the gospel of peace and learn of Jesus,not your literal legal understanding of the bible.

Last edited by pcamps; 05-13-2013 at 05:05 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Your condemnation of sin is all over the post.
Show me where

I re-posted my post and it's simply not there. People can read for themselves. You just love to accuse people of something, and asked you to back it up, you can't do it, and you are too proud to admit you were wrong, let alone to apologize.

Quote:
Who gave you the authority to speak out against sin in others?.
I, and everyone else, has the God given authority to speak the truth and quote the Bible. Not only am I authorized to spread the truth, I am commanded to spread it. You and your ridiculous accusations aren't going to silence me. Get used to it.

I have nothing else to say to you. You have been proven wrong and your accusations have been proven false.

I will repost it one more time.

Quote:
Be bold my friends. Worry less about being a 'nice guy', and worry more about the truth, and the salvation of those you speak to.Speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Partial truth is not the truth. Talk about the importance of believing in Him. Telling the sinner that their lifestyle is not a problem will do nothing to help them find God, because their sin will create a wall between them and God. When Jesus said "people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed". He wasn't talking about just the Pharisees, He was talking about every sinner.

Do not be afraid of the truth offending some, because it will. Hiding the truth will hurt people more that it will help them. Jesus said Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them. There is a reason why Jesus added the second part of the sentence. Both parts are important
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity