Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,658,595 times

Advertisements

The Movement meets in the Eastland Mall in Niles, Ohio. Its mottoes are "Forget Religion, Find God" and "Unity in Essentials/Charity in Non-Essentials." They've been hailed as the fastest growing "church" in Ohio. Their worship is very contemporary, spirit-filled and "electric." You can't help but be drawn in. They really have a heart for God and seek to transform and give hope to the Mahoning Valley and NE Ohio. They firmly believe that w/o vision people (figuratively) die. They sponsor a community garden in Warren to provide fresh vegetables for people in need, had a clean-up along the river and are seeking to reach out in many other ways to downtown Warren. They provide coffee, tea and often snacks at all of their services and are very welcoming. Tell me what you think. Have you heard of other churches like this?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,029,457 times
Sounds like a lively group. I don't know of any who meet in Malls. But that's not a bad idea.

You know I've kind of wondered what it would be like to be in a flash mob in a mall or busy street
with a group that suddenly broke into a beautiful song and dance routine. I think it would be a
very cool experience.

Welcome to the forum - I don't recall seeing you here before.

Heartsong

Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
The Movement meets in the Eastland Mall in Niles, Ohio. Its mottoes are "Forget Religion, Find God" and "Unity in Essentials/Charity in Non-Essentials." They've been hailed as the fastest growing "church" in Ohio. Their worship is very contemporary, spirit-filled and "electric." You can't help but be drawn in. They really have a heart for God and seek to transform and give hope to the Mahoning Valley and NE Ohio. They firmly believe that w/o vision people (figuratively) die. They sponsor a community garden in Warren to provide fresh vegetables for people in need, had a clean-up along the river and are seeking to reach out in many other ways to downtown Warren. They provide coffee, tea and often snacks at all of their services and are very welcoming. Tell me what you think. Have you heard of other churches like this?
Im not aware of any Bible verses preaching vision. I'd be skeptical.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Im not aware of any Bible verses preaching vision. I'd be skeptical.
It is taken from Prov. 29:18: "Where there is no vision, the people perish...." (KJV)

Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,029,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is taken from Prov. 29:18: "Where there is no vision, the people perish...." (KJV)
And it is so true. Since we live and walk by faith, we certainly need to always have a VISION, otherwise we grow weary. Hope is essential and despair is a terrible option.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Sounds like the "vision" is the one noted in Titus 2:14, "who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

Old 05-24-2013, 03:31 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
I have been to the Movement. I am new to Ohio, and I was burned out by my previous church. Some of you might remember that I was looking for a church family in my new area.

I had quite a few misses at first - a non denominational mega church that was run essentially by a family and preached the same alter call salvation message every Sunday, A Sunday church that raced through the service, no one spoke after the service but raced for their cars, an "old line" Pentecostal church where he people displayed a "cold warmth" that is peculiar to churches, and a Holiness church where the music was so literally horrible that my daughter almost left mid service. I thought it was equally awful, and several churches that were of the denomination that I was raised. (Evangelical Lutheran.) A Methodist Church and a Federated Church. I did like the Federated Church enough to revisit but the combination of one 9:30 AM service and being 45 minutes away, and the reality of knowing that I couldn't possible arouse 2 sleep hungry teens and get their on time set in.

So, I was seeing these highway billboards advertising The Movement. It's 15 minutes from my home. I thought I'd give it a try. I am so glad I did!

What a God Send! Literally! They do not offer "membership" because they are not a health club or a country club. If you want to sit and take it all in and enjoy the music and wonderful preaching and have no commitment - you are welcome to do that. If you want to be further involved they offer leadership opportunities where you are expected to volunteer once a month, ( no more than that) attend one service weekly, and give sacrificially. They do not want a core group of people to do all of the work while other members "warm the pews". They also do not want certain members to become overworked.

This was really for me! It was and is an answer to prayer! They also do not seek to become a mega church. When attendance exceeds a certain amount each service, hey intend to split into other campuses. They are into living a simple life and they really "walk the talk". Where as at the Megachurch the pastors drove BMWs, and lived in a Mc Mansion, there pastors all drive small economy cars.

I love the music, the genuine love, the praise and worship. I also love the times on their services - very young person friendly Sat night 5:30 and 7:30 Sunday 10 and 11:30 AM.
In the Winter they meet on Wednesday evenings.

I am attending regularly - twice a week. I have been playing the CDs constantly. This is a special place and as the OP said, it is the Fastest Growing church in Ohio!

Their credo of "unity in essentials, charity in non-essentials seems tailor made for diversity and inclusion.
The Movement and it's loving and genuine Pastors and fresh approach has been very healing for me and for my family. There is nothing unscriptural about this place.

I love it!

Check it out at www.becometheMovement.org - OP have you visited yet?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Sounds somewhat revolutionary

How refreshing!

Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 PM

9,696 posts, read 10,045,032 times
Don`t know what vision that is none scriptural they may have , But If they have the evidence of Holy Spirit , and do teach and preach the Gospel of Christ, then they will be blessed in Christ.....

Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Proverb says "Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint,
but blessed is he who keeps the law."

Does "The Movement" refer to God's rule over the people? I'm curious what "vision" means to the founders of this church. There is a trend among a lot of Christian churches today that the pastor should set a vision given by God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity