Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 AM

796 posts, read 858,919 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few "churches" like that. They are starting to pop up. They are much like the "Jesus" movement in methodology. It is an effective way to grow a large following.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:37 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My apologies, Sheena. I did look at this website. My concern is somewhat the same---there isn't a lot of information on what the church believes. It looks cool and fun...but I don't see a doctrinal statement or any information on the pastors' education. That tells me that it's just not something they find important.

I emailed John, the Campus Pastor, as his FaceBook page identifies him. I'm curious to see if he's willing to give me that information.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Watch these for an idea. The Movement, Niles, Ohio is not affiliated with what ever is going on in San Marcos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwMpsoG2Mo
I will still admit to skepticism. i watched that. I'm not sure it's a good practice to baptize people without actually making sure what they believe.

At 1:05 in that video he said that when you go under the water you "give the unseen God permission to infuse himself with YOU"

I have no idea what that means....but it's not Biblical Christianity. We don't "permit" God to do anything by getting baptized. It's entirely possible he was just speaking unclearly, and maybe if I talked to him he'd clear that up. But I am curious what he meant by it.
Again....this is a neat advertisement stating that God will be working wonders in their church....but I don't see anything that tells me what they actually believe or teach.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
They do not Baptize people "without knowing what they believe". To find out what they teach, one would need to visit a service. They practice believer's baptism by full immersion. Holding it in a parking lot might be due to the fact that they do not have a baptistry. It also may be because they see baptism as a public profession of faith after one has accepted the Lord. Why does it need to be "behind closed doors"? Jesus was baptized in a river and in some rural areas, people still are.

If the video gave you the idea that people were walking out of the Mall with a sudden request to be Baptized, you would be wrong. Naturally, a public baptism with live music would draw crowds. But the people who were being baptized have already spoken to a Pastor weeks before the event.

There is a class for prospective servant leaders called "DNA". At DNA, the prospective member is given this information. Their methods may be modern but the doctrine is solid and biblical. One can be baptized and not become a leader. There is no membership. Leaders are people who serve once a month, attend once a week and give to the church financially on a regular basis.

They believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ his only son, the doctrine of the Trinity. They believe in baptism by immersion and dedication of babies. They do not believe that one needs to practice glossolalia in order to be saved, or as evidence of salvation or holiness. Although some people do speak in tongues. "Unity in essentials, Charity in non-essentials" sums it up.

There are no dress codes or covenants to sign pertaining to social behavior such as not getting tattoos, dancing, drinking, not cutting ones hair or wearing "modest" clothes etc.

They believe in "letting the holy Spirit do His work".

They are not legalistic at all. They are a joyous and loving group.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
My apologies, Sheena. I did look at this website. My concern is somewhat the same---there isn't a lot of information on what the church believes. It looks cool and fun...but I don't see a doctrinal statement or any information on the pastors' education. That tells me that it's just not something they find important.

I emailed John, the Campus Pastor, as his FaceBook page identifies him. I'm curious to see if he's willing to give me that information.
Hooray for them if that's the case. Living the Way isn't about doctrinal issues.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
They do not Baptize people "without knowing what they believe". To find out what they teach, one would need to visit a service. They practice believer's baptism by full immersion. Holding it in a parking lot might be due to the fact that they do not have a baptistry. It also may be because they see baptism as a public profession of faith after one has accepted the Lord. Why does it need to be "behind closed doors"? Jesus was baptized in a river and in some rural areas, people still are.

If the video gave you the idea that people were walking out of the Mall with a sudden request to be Baptized, you would be wrong. Naturally, a public baptism with live music would draw crowds. But the people who were being baptized have already spoken to a Pastor weeks before the event.

There is a class for prospective servant leaders called "DNA". At DNA, the prospective member is given this information. Their methods may be modern but the doctrine is solid and biblical. One can be baptized and not become a leader. There is no membership. Leaders are people who serve once a month, attend once a week and give to the church financially on a regular basis.

They believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ his only son, the doctrine of the Trinity. They believe in baptism by immersion and dedication of babies. They do not believe that one needs to practice glossolalia in order to be saved, or as evidence of salvation or holiness. Although some people do speak in tongues. "Unity in essentials, Charity in non-essentials" sums it up.

There are no dress codes or covenants to sign pertaining to social behavior such as not getting tattoos, dancing, drinking, not cutting ones hair or wearing "modest" clothes etc.

They believe in "letting the holy Spirit do His work".

They are not legalistic at all. They are a joyous and loving group.
Sounds like a great place that God is using to bless those without. I like the idea of no church membership. I also like the idea of letting the Holy Spirit work in transform hearts.

The foundation is Christ, and it sounds like God's Spirit has liberty to move. Just sit back and watch Christ transform lives. There is nothing more beautiful than when one repents and comes to Christ.

All of Heaven rejoices.

Sounds like a place I'd like to check out sometime if the Lord wills. I'm not all that far away.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Hooray for them if that's the case. Living the Way isn't about doctrinal issues.
That sounds like you just made a doctrinal statement. Ironically it's self-refuting, in that you say doctrine isn't important.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I will still admit to skepticism. i watched that. I'm not sure it's a good practice to baptize people without actually making sure what they believe.

At 1:05 in that video he said that when you go under the water you "give the unseen God permission to infuse himself with YOU"

I have no idea what that means....but it's not Biblical Christianity. We don't "permit" God to do anything by getting baptized. It's entirely possible he was just speaking unclearly, and maybe if I talked to him he'd clear that up. But I am curious what he meant by it.

Again....this is a neat advertisement stating that God will be working wonders in their church....but I don't see anything that tells me what they actually believe or teach.
Regarding water baptism, I think it's a great opportunity to stress the concept what the water is symbolizing - death, burial, and resurrection. A public testimony of what needs to be in the Heart.

Crucified with Christ nevertheless I live but not I but Christ lives in me who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Trust in the Person, not the ritual to save. Those confused on this showing up to be baptized, could be receiving Christ right then and there.

There is a HUGE need to reach the college age as they are fed lies in School pressured by society to get massively in debt to get qualified for a job that isn't there.

Best be sure Satan is working overtime with this group. Zeitgeist is one popular movement no doubt fueling the rebellion as they are proclaiming Jesus as just another Pagan Sun god no different than Mithra, Horus, Osirus, Buddah, etc. The philosophy they are spreading is word for word identical to Helena Blavatsky's "There's no Religion higher than truth, the merger the religion, philosophy, and science. The same philosophy Hitler ascribed to.

The doctrine of Anti Christ. So I'm very thankful there are workers in the field reaching out to this group.

We should keep this in prayer.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I have seen a few "churches" like that. They are starting to pop up. They are much like the "Jesus" movement in methodology. It is an effective way to grow a large following.

It's an effective way to minister to people and to evangelize. There is revival happening here in that Mahoning Vally.

They are not interested in becoming a mega church. Is there a reason why you put church in quotation marks? I'm not being contentious, just curious.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Regarding water baptism, I think it's a great opportunity to stress the concept what the water is symbolizing - death, burial, and resurrection. A public testimony of what needs to be in the Heart.

Crucified with Christ nevertheless I live but not I but Christ lives in me who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Trust in the Person, not the ritual to save. Those confused on this showing up to be baptized, could be receiving Christ right then and there.

There is a HUGE need to reach the college age as they are fed lies in School pressured by society to get massively in debt to get qualified for a job that isn't there.

Best be sure Satan is working overtime with this group. Zeitgeist is one popular movement no doubt fueling the rebellion as they are proclaiming Jesus as just another Pagan Sun god no different than Mithra, Horus, Osirus, Buddah, etc. The philosophy they are spreading is word for word identical to Helena Blavatsky's "There's no Religion higher than truth, the merger the religion, philosophy, and science. The same philosophy Hitler ascribed to.

The doctrine of Anti Christ. So I'm very thankful there are workers in the field reaching out to this group.

We should keep this in prayer.
I'm certainly not arguing the idea that we baptize people, or that baptism does not save anyone. My concern is that this church appears to be unclear on their teaching on baptism, and other doctrinal issues.

If a church isn't concerned with clear teaching, why listen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity