Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:20 PM

796 posts, read 860,216 times

Advertisements

It does appear they go to great lengths to not reveal there doctrine (they cannot preach without some) and who they may be connected with.

One of the churches like this one in our area did the same thing for several years. Now most people know who funded it and who they are actually affiliated with. The first time I visited the pastor would not admit any connection. I understand wanting to not look like every other church but to out right lie about it is taking it too far. Not that I think this church has lied.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
what if the pastor went to the same school you went to? will the pastor then get your blessing. or is doctrine more important? if doctrine is more important, it matters not which school the pastor went through. I am sure you have seen the theologian with a PHD speak some nonsense from the pulpit. when i say nonsense, i actually mean heresy.
Does it matter to you if a cardiologist gets a degree from the local community college or if he gets one from a well-known med school? How about your lawyer? Would you rather have a lawyer with a degree from Harvard? Or the local state school?

You do realize there are differences in Seminaries, right? There is a vast difference between, say....Westminster Seminary and RHEMA Bible College. They just flat out teach different theology. Like it or not, you can often get a feel for what kind of pastor a guy is based on his education.

Having said that, yes---doctrine is more important. Even within schools, there is a range of theologies. But if I can't find out what their doctrinal statement is, knowing the seminary of the pastor is helpful. Of course, I'm not naive enough to think that a pastor planting a church can't simply copy and paste his doctrinal statement from a parent church's site, or from another church's website.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,468,983 times
when i go to a doctor i dont ask where they got their degree from. maybe you do, but most dont. when was the first seminary created? would that make those who came prior to this false teachers? i think it was created during the 1800's. Catholics already had their schools, but protestantism seminaries began around the 1800's.
do you care to give us a list of the false seminaries?

Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
But if I can't find out what their doctrinal statement is, knowing the seminary of the pastor is helpful.
What do you care? Are you thinking of changing churches?

Seems like a lot of scrutiny by you for a church that is hundreds of miles away.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,952,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Seems like a lot of scrutiny by you for a church that is hundreds of miles away.
Heavens no. It's just that you could not expect to get correct doctrine from a fisherman or something like that.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
when i go to a doctor i dont ask where they got their degree from. maybe you do, but most dont.
Personally, if I were having open-heart surgery I'd care.
Quote:

when was the first seminary created? would that make those who came prior to this false teachers?
I didn't say seminary was a necessity, but it does help to understand one's religious training. The apostles learned directly from Jesus, and passed it down from there.
Quote:
I think it was created during the 1800's.
Yale was founded in 1701
Quote:

Catholics already had their schools, but protestantism seminaries began around the 1800's.
do you care to give us a list of the false seminaries?
Luther nailed his famous 95 theses to the door in Wittenburg in 1517, and it's been referred to by many as the start of the reformation. I honestly don't know when the first Protestant seminary was founded, but it was likely fairly close to then.

Again, I've not suggested any seminaries are "false", but it is helpful to know the seminary to give an understanding of the theology of the pastor. Some are better, some are different than others.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I made the statement in regards to looking at this church because the OP posted it. That is all.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Heavens no. It's just that you could not expect to get correct doctrine from a fisherman or something like that.
Not if the fisherman was completely uneducated, no. But the apostles spent 3 years walking and talking with Jesus, training for the time he'd be gone.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,952,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Not if the fisherman was completely uneducated, no. But the apostles spent 3 years walking and talking with Jesus, training for the time he'd be gone.
Yup, and at the end of that time Peter completely blew it and even during his ministry strayed from the guidance of the Spirit. Well, he was human and another human, guided by the Spirit, put him back on track.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yup, and at the end of that time Peter completely blew it and even during his ministry strayed from the guidance of the Spirit. Well, he was human and another human, guided by the Spirit, put him back on track.
Your point? He had the knowledge--taught first-hand to him by Jesus.

Again...I'm not suggesting that seminary training, or lack thereof, makes or breaks a pastor, but it CAN be a good thing to know when evaluating a possible church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity