Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:46 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I, too, know women who were tormented by making the choice to abort their babies. I also know women who changed their minds and made the choice to go through with their pregnancies and have never regretted it. There may very well be women who have abortions and never experience a single moment of regret, but I find it hard to believe that that is the norm.

But, as much as I wish this were a black and white, simplistic issue, it's not. If we think that by some chance we could get laws in place to ban abortion that it would make everything right and "please God", we're living in la-la land.
There are also women who are not tormented all their lives by the choice because they do not allow the 'quote' "pro-life" voices to condemn them for making the right choice for their situation. If abortion is a sin, why does God allow so many miscarriages? Miscarriages are very common. I suppose that makes God a child murderer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
This is what we all looked like at 12 weeks in the womb.
Anyone think its not a person?
Psalm 139:14
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Psalm 139:13
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

Psalm 10:12
Arise, Lord! Lift up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless.

Readers might want to check that photo out with SNOPES:

12-week fetus - snopes.com

Furthermore: 'The existence of legal and available abortion does not impose itself on those who would never use it. Even those people who most strongly support the availability of abortion as an option do not force abortion onto women who want no part of that ideology. They do not seek people out and demand that wanted pregnancies be terminated. They do not shame or abuse women who would choose to be mothers. That's a situation that you can't reverse and say the same of. People who most strongly oppose abortion do everything in their power to impose their will on women who want no part of their ideology. They do seek people out and demand that unwanted pregnancies be carried to term. They do shame and abuse women who would choose to not be a mother (whether that falls under the category of "never," "not yet," "not again," or "I will most likely die if this is not stopped"). THAT is horrible, and THAT must be stopped. "

Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus is the ONLY one allowed to be judgmental . . . WE are NOT! We can witness to our belief and understanding . . . but we have no business judging or condemning anyone for anything in God's name. We can do so as a society if society agrees it should be illegal . . . but that is it. WE can pray for their souls and the souls of those they kill . . . but unless society agrees it is illegal we have no business condemning anyone in God's name.
So well said! Why don't some people get this? There are a lot of things religious people are against that are LEGAL ACTIVITIES. Drinking comes to mind. Drinking causes a certain amount of death to come upon humanity each year because of disease and accidents. But should the church begin to harangue society about the evils of alcohol consumption? Likewise, we, as a society have decided that women cannot be forced to carry a fetus to the state of becoming a living soul (human being). This is most especially important, IMO because I believe no small portion of abortions are done as a result of rape, some times date rape of a girl who is TOO YOUNG to begin a family. No way should some 3rd party be allowed to stick his/her religious nose into such a difficult decision. Some in that situation will choose life and opt of keeping the child or giving it up for adoption. But some will not, and let me say there are girls as young as 10 and 11 years old who have been raped by family members. Should they carry such a child to term? Heaven forbid! Ugh. I wish people would use their brains more. Stop the emotionalism!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:45 AM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Same thing was said about slavery.
Slavery is not remotely comparable. It was a clear oppression of members of society and society has a responsibility to protect their rights.
Quote:
Slavery was once legal so there was nothing wrong with it if your argument holds any water. Just because something is legal does not mean it is moral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True. But moral issues are what we stand before God for . . . NOT society. The standards are different for society. I can't see God accepting the excuse that society said it was legal.
Quote:
The Jewish Pro-Life Foundation seeks to save Jewish lives by promoting alternatives to abortion in the Jewish community. We provide education about fetal development, the viability and sanctity of unborn life, and traditional Jewish law regarding abortion. We inspire Jews to welcome unborn Jewish children into the inclusive movement of modern Jewish life and religion. We provide adoption referrals. We teach our community about the harmful effects of abortion, and provide support to Jewish women and men who suffer from post abortion syndrome.
These are the kinds of things we should do . . . but we should NOT try to use the coercive and punitive power of society to force women to carry pregnancies to term. It is their choice, period. We all stand before God for our moral failings.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
There are also women who are not tormented all their lives by the choice because they do not allow the 'quote' "pro-life" voices to condemn them for making the right choice for their situation. If abortion is a sin, why does God allow so many miscarriages? Miscarriages are very common. I suppose that makes God a child murderer?

Heartsong, God "allows" us all to die, one way or another. Can't get more common that. Would you call God a murderer for that reason? Just because death is common to us all, does not mean it is okay for a human to end the life of another human.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,546,131 times
Quote:
Miscarriages are for the reason the fetus has not attached right or has something wrong. It's a natural event. One cannot say God is a murderer anyway about any death. God creates life and God (only God) can take it away. Problem is today too many people want to play God.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Miscarriages are for the reason the fetus has not attached right or has something wrong. It's a natural event. One cannot say God is a murderer anyway about any death. God creates life and God (only God) can take it away. Problem is today too many people want to play God.
Actually there are billions of people walking around this blue marble who have the power to take your life away. God made it that way - he gave that power into man's hands. It is unfortunate that so many people are in love with guns. I'm very anti --gun, btw. I despise guns - I hate the way they look, the way they sound and the destruction they bring about. But I digress. I mention that only because the right wing mystifies me with it's pro-gun, pro-death penalty, anti-social justice and anti-women's rights policies. There really is nothing good about the right wing be it religious or political, IMO. I consider myself part of the Christian Left. I just want to make it known that we exist.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Heartsong, God "allows" us all to die, one way or another. Can't get more common that. Would you call God a murderer for that reason? Just because death is common to us all, does not mean it is okay for a human to end the life of another human.
I understand your point.

But why is that so many religious-minded anti-abortionists also seem to favour capital punishment?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
While I don't follow links to sites I am not sure of I am glad to see you understand that abortion is an exploitation of women and are tormented by the murder of their children.
Listen: I am a 50 year old woman who is the mother of four beautiful grown children. As far as nature is concerned, I could still conceive a child. My husband had his "tubes snipped" after our fourth child was born because we did NOT WANT any more children. Had I been raped and conceived a child out of wedlock, I would never have carried it to term. Now think about this for a minute..... you want to impose on 11, 12 and 13 year old girls the fate of becoming mothers when they are not ready for it nor able to support such children. I can only call that one thing - ignorance. Complete and utter ignorance. Our society is not going to be ruled by ignorant people any longer. Ignorance is passing away. I have three daughters. Only one has ever conceived a child and had a son which was my first grandchild. Had any of my three daughters become pregnant at a time that was way too early, they would have known they could come to me and I would let them decide whether to keep the conceived fetus or to abort. I would let them CHOOSE. I would not have told them what they had to do.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Listen: I am a 50 year old woman who is the mother of four beautiful grown children. As far as nature is concerned, I could still conceive a child. My husband had his "tubes snipped" after our fourth child was born because we did NOT WANT any more children. Had I been raped and conceived a child out of wedlock, I would never have carried it to term. Now think about this for a minute..... you want to impose on 11, 12 and 13 year old girls the fate of becoming mothers when they are not ready for it nor able to support such children. I can only call that one thing - ignorance. Complete and utter ignorance. Our society is not going to be ruled by ignorant people any longer. Ignorance is passing away. I have three daughters. Only one has ever conceived a child and had a son which was my first grandchild. Had any of my three daughters become pregnant at a time that was way too early, they would have known they could come to me and I would let them decide whether to keep the conceived fetus or to abort. I would let them CHOOSE. I would not have told them what they had to do.
That's just because you're sensible.

(Too soon to rep again, apparently.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity