Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,543,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The life that the son of man gives is His word from the Father. It is that life that gives life to the dead in spirit. The word of God is life. Jesus death and resurrection were merely an example of what happens to those who accept His words and walk in them. They rise from the death of sin and darkness to life and light in the spirit of God.

"Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you."

"What I have told you in the dark proclaim in the light."
I assume you are debating what I said. But you need not. Most of these statements you say are in and of themselves true but can not be used to nullify [if that is what your up to?] the fact that Jesus needed to give His life as a ransom. His death and resurrection, however were not mere examples but rather the means of saving the world. I explained why [motive] and how [by the cross] that was so. Truth is multifaceted and each facet has something to say regarding the whole of the brightness of truth. One facet of truth should not be used to nullify the other.

Surely His word is life from the Father as you say and He gave it faithfully but He also gave His whole life as the Atonement by turning the event into the greatest mercy event in all of History and that testifies in all generations to grab our attention, so that we might turn to God and receive His life. These two truths are in harmony and are facets of the whole diamond of truth.

JN 6:53 "Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you have no life in you." Our Spirits need to eat the truth of Atonement if we are to have life in Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The passage means that IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SON YOU DO NOT HAVE THE FATHER AND CAN NOT COME TO THE FATHER.

There has ALWAYS been a very limited access to God. In the Old Testament, ALL ritualistic ceremonies and sacrifices pointed to ONE PERSON, Jesus Christ.

ONLY through GOD'S Ordained Sacrifice -the BLOOD of JESUS Christ - can sinful Man approach a Holy God. Without His Sacrifice, we cannot talk to God. As of ourself we have NO MERIT to talk to God. No righteousness on our part.

ALL prayer and intercession MUST BE done through the High Priest. Under the New and Everlasting Covenant, this High Priest is JESUS Christ after the Order of Melchizedek. If one is attempting to pray to God OUTSIDE OF JESUS CHRIST, their prayers are not even being considered.

God has provided HIS way for sinful Man to approach Him in and through Jesus Christ. Abel provided the ordained sacrifice and his was accepted. Cain provided his works and fruit from the cursed ground and his sacrifice was not accepted. He tried to go outside of what God has established as acceptable.
First, I don't have a dog in this fight, uh, discussion, because I think there is quite a lot of history for both views.

However, to be historically clear, it was JESUS who came to sinners and outcasts, who showed up at their parties and festivals, and it was JESUS who called up to Zacchaeus, the tax collecting sinner, "Come down, for I must need stay at your house today."

Not a case where the sinner had to go to God. But an example of God coming to sinners.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 PM

535 posts, read 967,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
First, I don't have a dog in this fight, uh, discussion, because I think there is quite a lot of history for both views.

However, to be historically clear, it was JESUS who came to sinners and outcasts, who showed up at their parties and festivals, and it was JESUS who called up to Zacchaeus, the tax collecting sinner, "Come down, for I must need stay at your house today."

Not a case where the sinner had to go to God. But an example of God coming to sinners.
Wardendresden, there's no one quite like you on here and I mean that in a positive way. You make me think outside the box, and sometimes it makes my stomach growl when I see your side of a debate. Since you said in the resurrection thread you're a 'hear and now' kind of guy, how does God come to us today?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
For the second time, what are you basing all this on?
Does anything I've said sound like it's of satan?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
Wardendresden, there's no one quite like you on here and I mean that in a positive way. You make me think outside the box, and sometimes it makes my stomach growl when I see your side of a debate. Since you said in the resurrection thread you're a 'hear and now' kind of guy, how does God come to us today?
Not the title of this thread, Priscilla, but if I finally get to the point of a firm answer, I'll get back to you! It's almost always in the form of a surprise for me.

And thank you for the compliment, but it isn't about me, it's about sharing the Good News AND contemplating on it from every direction.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 AM

22 posts, read 31,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Was meditating (or medicating, as the case may be ) on this passage and suddenly the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to the reality of what Jesus was saying. It's like when a government passes national health insurance for its people. If you're a citizen of that country you are automatically covered. It doesn't require any action on your part except to go to the doctor when you're sick and you receive treatment.

Same with Jesus' sacrifice. His death opened the gates of heaven to everyone--atheist, agnostic, Hindu, Buddhist, doesn't matter. We are all citizens of heaven now by virtue of His death and resurrection. It does NOT require a unilateral action on our part such as making a public proclamation "I accept Jesus as my Savior". If you were born you automatically are enrolled in "salvation assurance". When you die you come to the Father through Jesus automatically. "No one comes to the Father but by Me. My death makes it possible for you to come to the Father. Period." That is what Jesus was saying.
It has to be 'medicating'. Im pretty sure it was not the Holy Spirit that gave you the revelation above. If it was, that would mean Jesus is a liar, and I (plus everyone who know Jesus well) know that He does not lie.

John 3:16 is the best verse in the whole of the Bible and its simple as it says "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that WHOSOEVER BELIEVES in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The 'whosoever believes' is the most important part. How can atheist have access to the kingdom of God when they dont even believe that there is a God? God made it so easy for us all and He does love us. Its as simple as just accepting Jesus as Lord, believing in Him and knowing that He is the only way to The Father, but many people are not interested in accepting that truth, and they want to enter heaven?

Jesus told the pharisees that they would die in their sins because they do not believe in Him. Im pretty sure Jesus didnt tell them they were covered because he'd already come and it didn't matter what they believed.

I'd be careful if i were you and you are a christian so you do not mislead people to follow lies.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Does anything I've said sound like it's of satan?
I thought you said Satan does not exist. How could you say anything (of) from someone who does not exist?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not the title of this thread, Priscilla, but if I finally get to the point of a firm answer, I'll get back to you! It's almost always in the form of a surprise for me.

And thank you for the compliment, but it isn't about me, it's about sharing the Good News AND contemplating on it from every direction.
I wasn't trying to throw you a curve ball. Asking Christians how God comes to us today will illicit an array of results. A Charismatic's answer will be far different from a Presbyterian. Don't worry about answering my question. No sense starting WWIII on the forum.

You and Mike555 don't see eye to eye on every fine point, but you both have the same goal, spreading The Good News. Some will respond to a more liberal presentation, some to a more conservative. I can tell that for both you and Mike555 it's not I'm right and you're wrong, but it's in making a connection with the non-believer.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Have YOU lived in another country with national healthcare?
Yes, that's what I said. Everyone has a card. There are two kinds of people, those who are in the system, and those who are not, and they will receive treatment accordingly. Same with the Lamb's book of life.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
I thought you said Satan does not exist. How could you say anything (of) from someone who does not exist?
Man, Priscilla, and I though I was a tough nut to crack!

I DON'T believe in satan, but I take it for granted you and everybody else here does, so I just cater to your dogmas, not my own.

Now I'm asking you, does anything I've said sound so "satanic" that it has to have been inspired by satan (if you believe in him)?

Let me clarify the "don't believe in satan" thing. I've never met the guy. I don't think I ever will, at least in this lifetime--maybe in the next, who knows so if he does exist I don't believe he comes in contact with humans at all. He's chained down in Tartaroo, or Tartarus, or Tartar Sauce, or whatever that place is that Peter mentions. Or Paul mentions. Or Peter Paul. And now I'm hungry for a coconut candy bar, maybe even a shrimp cocktail for some crazy reason.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-25-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity