Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,252,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Minister Vizio said:

Vizio does not think the Eucharist is special -----------even if they do it 12 times a year folks are bored. His parishioners do not think it is special at all. That is very telling because Vizio is telling them there is nothing there.
What I said was that when you do it every single week people do look at it as just another step in the church service, or Mass. To be honest, I doubt the majority of Catholics have a clue what is actually happening in the Mass...and what the church actually teaches regarding them. I certainly didn't, when I was a Catholic.
Quote:
Is that what we what for the Eucharist? A meaningless act that gets people bored to death?

It makes sense!!!!! If the church and preacher believes Jesus is not present then people get bored because they do not get to be united with Jesus. It becomes a meaningless boring ritual.
As I've told you before...as a Catholic, I didn't have a clue that the RCC taught the idea of transubstantiation. The idea of Christ being in that host was foreign.
Quote:
IMHO, the alternative is much worse. NO Jesus in the Eucharist, folks are bored and no one is united with Jesus.
Instead, the RCC teaches people that the wafer is a Jesus wafer, and by eating it you receive grace. That's not supported from scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,380,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

As I've told you before...as a Catholic, I didn't have a clue that the RCC taught the idea of transubstantiation. The idea of Christ being in that host was foreign.
OK, I get it. Many Catholics are Catholics by ethnicity and know nothing about the Catholic faith.

Quote:
Instead, the RCC teaches people that the wafer is a Jesus wafer, and by eating it you receive grace. That's not supported from scripture.
Really?????????:conf used:

John 6:54-56
King James Version (KJV)
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,252,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

John 6:54-56
King James Version (KJV)
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Do you ever get hungry or thirst? About 20 verses earlier it says you will never get hungry or thirst again of you eat of this bread he's talking about here. So....do you?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,565,596 times
Sententiæ Deo: Einstein and Catholicism

"Did you ever know that Einstein's Catholic elementary school education was responsible for his lifelong wonder of the universe and its orderliness, the Λογος (Logos), "Word of God, or principle of divine reason and creative order, identified in the Gospel of John with the second person of the Trinity incarnate in Jesus Christ" (New Oxford American Dictionary)? From Einstein: His Life and Universe (pgs. 15 & 20):"

Einstein was very interested in transubstantiation. Here is an interesting article on it. You can click on listen and the article will be read for you.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:28 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,395,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Einstein was very interested in transubstantiation. Here is an interesting article on it.
I doubt it. He rejected all and every notion of a personal and/or interventionalist god. The idea above would have been a nonsense to him. Perhaps you would be better to read his own words on the matter rather than second hand opinion in books about him?

However even if the above falsehood were true.... so what? He was but just one man. What difference does it make if one single man was interested in the concept? Why even bring it up? Why cherry pick one single individual? How is it relevant?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I doubt it. He rejected all and every notion of a personal and/or interventionalist god. The idea above would have been a nonsense to him. Perhaps you would be better to read his own words on the matter rather than second hand opinion in books about him?

However even if the above falsehood were true.... so what? He was but just one man. What difference does it make if one single man was interested in the concept? Why even bring it up? Why cherry pick one single individual? How is it relevant?

Did you even take the time to listen or read the article?

"Then this means," Einstein said, "that Christ is infinite and timeless."

That would be something Einstein would be very interested in, "infinite and timeless."

Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Did you even take the time to listen or read the article?

"Then this means," Einstein said, "that Christ is infinite and timeless."

That would be something Einstein would be very interested in, "infinite and timeless."
Again as I said I find it better to read Einsteins own words not second or third hand words ascribed to him. If you think Einstein had any interest in a personal or interventionist god or anything like what this thread is about then you have been misled. In fact he ended up getting quite frustrated and irate at how often theists fell over themselves trying to claim him as being some form or theist or other when he never was.
Moderator cut: delete
Even if this apocryphal notion that he was into Trans-substantiation was true..... so what? He is but one man, why would his opinion on the matter be any more relevant than.... say.... the old homeless man selling pencils from a cup on the local street corner?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-05-2014 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: personal and insulting a poster

Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM

Maybe because Einstein's IQ was higher than the regular man on the street. Not sure though since not every may had his IQ tested.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Maybe because Einstein's IQ was higher than the regular man on the street. Not sure though since not every may had his IQ tested.
You would probably do well to look up the fallacy "Appeal to Authority". It is a fallacy to point at someone you deem to be intelligent and act like his or her opinion is more valid or relevant than anyone elses. Einstein was a physicist not a theologian. His opinion on god is no more valid that the guy on the street corner selling pencils from a cup to buy food.

But as I said he rejected any and all forms of thought on a personal and interventionist god and wrote many letters and words on his frustration at how desperately theists tried to claim him as one of their own. He simply put no stock or credibility in Trans-substantiation in any form and anyone who claims otherwise is, for want of a better word, lying to you.

But this thread is called "Do Catholics Believe Transubstantiation-The Doctrine of Real Presence?" not "Did einstein Believe Transubstantiation-The Doctrine of Real Presence?". So let us return to the topic shall we? I can confirm that in my experience and research that Catholics do believe in it, but alas most catholics do not know what it is they are supposed to believe exactly. Some thing the ceremony is symbolic only and nothing happens, some believe a spiritual but undetectable transformation happens, while still others believe that a real physical change of some sort happens.

It appears to be to be a classic example of "Faith". Catholics sign up to believing whatever it is the church teaches but very few of them bother to find out what that actually IS. They know they are admonished to believe something, but are entirely uncertain as to what that something is. Yet they "believe" it anyway.

As I said I own and have experimented on, and continue to experiment on, quite a number of these "consecrated" bread bits. I can detect no difference between them and their "normal" variants.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,380,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
You would probably do well to look up the fallacy "Appeal to Authority". It is a fallacy to point at someone you deem to be intelligent and act like his or her opinion is more valid or relevant than anyone elses. Einstein was a physicist not a theologian. His opinion on god is no more valid that the guy on the street corner selling pencils from a cup to buy food.

But as I said he rejected any and all forms of thought on a personal and interventionist god and wrote many letters and words on his frustration at how desperately theists tried to claim him as one of their own. He simply put no stock or credibility in Trans-substantiation in any form and anyone who claims otherwise is, for want of a better word, lying to you.

But this thread is called "Do Catholics Believe Transubstantiation-The Doctrine of Real Presence?" not "Did einstein Believe Transubstantiation-The Doctrine of Real Presence?". So let us return to the topic shall we? I can confirm that in my experience and research that Catholics do believe in it, but alas most catholics do not know what it is they are supposed to believe exactly. Some thing the ceremony is symbolic only and nothing happens, some believe a spiritual but undetectable transformation happens, while still others believe that a real physical change of some sort happens.

It appears to be to be a classic example of "Faith". Catholics sign up to believing whatever it is the church teaches but very few of them bother to find out what that actually IS. They know they are admonished to believe something, but are entirely uncertain as to what that something is. Yet they "believe" it anyway.

As I said I own and have experimented on, and continue to experiment on, quite a number of these "consecrated" bread bits. I can detect no difference between them and their "normal" variants.
I think the key issue is that:

Many Protestants do not believe that Jesus is present in the Eucharist.

Doing an analysis of the Eucharist looking for human flesh is misleading. The essence of God is not fleshy. So there is a metaphor in place when people say this is the body and blood of Christ.

The real question is:

Why do Protestants bother with the Eucharist if they choose to believe Jesus is nowhere to be found?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity