Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 06:37 PM

151 posts, read 88,157 times

Advertisements

https://thetorah.com/meat-and-milk-origins-in-the-text/

https://www.aish.com/atr/Why_Not_Milk__Meat.html

Here are a couple of explanations about the meat/dairy thing that might help. The verse is mentioned three times. Therefore you start with the most obvious meaning and then do a little deeper and then a little deeper. It does make sense when you think about it. I've also felt there was an animal cruelty aspect to this verse as well. Torah is clear we are to be kind to our animal friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 07:53 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Hebrews 4:11
That's Paul. Or is it? Nowadays it's disputed that it was Paul who wrote Hebrews. And, if he didn't, then Hebrews was written by an unknown author. So, are you saying that it was Paul or an unknown author who was responsible for having abrogated the Creation Sabbath? Good grief, some of you guys are an easy sell.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post

Here are a couple of explanations about the meat/dairy thing that might help. The verse is mentioned three times. Therefore you start with the most obvious meaning and then do a little deeper and then a little deeper. It does make sense when you think about it. I've also felt there was an animal cruelty aspect to this verse as well. Torah is clear we are to be kind to our animal friends.
As in offering them as a sacrifice?

Old 05-30-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Not true at all...If you would actually undertake the study of Torah, there is a reason for every one of the 613 Mitzvoth...
Quote:

So, not only is there no discernible reason for the injunction, but traditional interpretation of the letter of the law has not only Jews performing absurdities, but the nation of Israel imposing those absurdities on visitors who eat in their public facilities. Some "light" to the world.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As in offering them as a sacrifice?
Animals killed were done so for a variety of reasons, and are killed in a manner that it still considered to be one of the kindest, swiftest manners to do the deed. It is also a topic that you would need to do some research on, which you clearly aren't.

Working animals get to rest on Shabbos just like humans. We are commanded to feed them before ourselves, and are commanded to care for them. You seem very hostile toward Judaism (unless you are an atheist, in which case I understand NONE of the religious laws are going to make sense). But if you are Xian and are questioning the Torah, on which your religion actually claims as it's foundation, the hostility seems unwarranted.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Animals killed were done so for a variety of reasons, and are killed in a manner that it still considered to be one of the kindest, swiftest manners to do the deed. It is also a topic that you would need to do some research on, which you clearly aren't.

Working animals get to rest on Shabbos just like humans. We are commanded to feed them before ourselves, and are commanded to care for them. You seem very hostile toward Judaism (unless you are an atheist, in which case I understand NONE of the religious laws are going to make sense). But if you are Xian and are questioning the Torah, on which your religion actually claims as it's foundation, the hostility seems unwarranted.
What I am hostile toward, Shalhavet, is someone coming on here and claiming that Judaism in any of its current permutations is in any way better than Christianity, that Jews are chosen to enlighten the world, and/or that Torah is authoritative. You don’t see me on the Judaism forum.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
While that may be true to a large extent, rote repetition without consideration of the purpose of the action is worse than useless and doing something only because "it is the law" fails no matter how many times you do it. Spiritual exercise is well and good, but it is the awareness of the principle being exercised that has value.
You’re wrong here and I base that on the assumption that you never tried...

Old 05-30-2019, 01:29 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Recently, Richard, the lesson you have been presenting is that if the truth countermands your narrative ignore it and maybe it will go away.
Nope, not at all...Even your own Paul tells you to ‘practice righteousness’...Now, I wonder why he would say that?...

Old 05-30-2019, 02:21 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
What I am hostile toward, Shalhavet, is someone coming on here and claiming that Judaism in any of its current permutations is in any way better than Christianity, that Jews are chosen to enlighten the world, and/or that Torah is authoritative. You don’t see me on the Judaism forum.
As Christians (followers of Christ) we should not be hostile though

This is a forum to discuss Christianity not for Christians to chase everyone off who has a different view than them

Christianity is very divided and is the same as the other religions in that it has taken on ritual and doctrines which are opposed to the spirit which is Christ which was in the prophets of old

the body of Christ (believers) are to join together in the same spirit, whether they are Jew/gentile slave/free male/female. This is not talking about literal designations but the spiritual ones

Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle, not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, the One raising Him from the dead,
Gal 1:2 and all the brothers with me, to the assemblies of Galatia.

1Co 1:1 Paul, a called apostle of Jesus Christ, by the will of God, and Sosthenes the brother,
1Co 1:2 to the assembly of God which is in Corinth, those having been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called-out saints, with all those calling on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place, both theirs and ours:

Rom 1:1 Paul, a slave of Jesus Christ, a called apostle, separated to the gospel of God,
Rom 1:2 which He promised before through His prophets in the holy Scriptures,
Rom 1:3 concerning His Son who came of the seed of David according to flesh,
Rom 1:4 who was marked out the Son of God in power, according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection of the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord;
Rom 1:5 by whom we received grace and apostleship to obedience of faith among all the nations, for His name's sake,
Rom 1:6 among whom are you also, called-out ones of Jesus Christ;
Rom 1:7 to all those who are in Rome, b

Rev 1:1 A Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to Him to show to His slaves things which must occur quickly. And He signified by sending through His angel to His slave, John,
Rev 1:2 who testified of the Word of God and the witness of Jesus Christ, even as many things as he saw.
Rev 1:3 Blessed is the one reading, and those hearing the Words of this prophecy, and keeping the things having been written; for the time is near.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
My apologies if you felt that's what I was doing. It's why I asked several posts up if I should be here or not. Obviously I think Judaism is better, otherwise I would be a Christian, which I am not. While I like the back and forth of these discussions, I have no intention of arguing anybody's beliefs with them, as it is generally pointless.

Again, my apologies if you felt my tone was hostile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity