Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If the Sabbath was just symbolic or Spiritual, what is the purpose of the Sunday going crowd going to church on Sunday and doing what the Saturday going crowd does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The fact that many professing Christians don't know the nature of our Sabbath rest in Christ does nothing to change the fact of it. Like Jews, Christians are fallible. The Way is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Alot of those 1st-century church leaders were very anti Semitic too, so anything Jewish like the Sabbath, they would have been fully against. So you have to ownder if their view on the Sabbath was bias as well.
SAAN, this latest rant has nothing to do with the fact that early Christians recognized that what Jesus taught had nothing to do with the forms and rules of the Mosaic Law, but about our relationship in community with God and man based on that concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation that is the foundation of Christ's "New Covenant."

Why are you on a forum about Christianity promoting Jewish perceptions? Yes there was conflict between followers of the Way and Jews, beginning quite early as recorded in Acts, to the point that the Jews were expelled from Rome for their frequent riots against "Christians." Is this a surprise? Remember that the earliest Christians still thought they were part of the current Hebrew religion until most of them realized the difference.

Let's talk about why Jeremiah felt the need for a "new covenant."

Last edited by nateswift; 06-02-2019 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 02:08 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
In 1 John 2:4 (King James Bible) it says:

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

How does this particular text fit into the supposed 'new covenant' or hadn't John received the memo yet? By the way, there are lots more similar texts that seem to fly in the face of the 'new covenant' clan.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
SAAN, this latest rant has nothing to do with the fact that early Christians recognized that what Jesus taught had nothing to do with the forms and rules of the Mosaic Law, but about our relationship in community with God and man based on that concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation that is the foundation of Christ's "New Covenant."

Why are you on a forum about Christianity promoting Jewish perceptions? Yes there was conflict between followers of the Way and Jews, beginning quite early as recorded in Acts, to the point that the Jews were expelled from Rome for their frequent riots against "Christians." Is this a surprise? Remember that the earliest Christians still thought they were part of the current Hebrew religion until most of them realized the difference.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

How does this particular text fit into the supposed 'new covenant' or hadn't John received the memo yet? By the way, there are lots more similar texts that seem to fly in the face of the 'new covenant' clan.
So, Romulus, what you are saying is that we should play the conflicting scriptures game to uphold your SDA programming? There is considerable social pressure within a society used to authoritarian policies and teachings to present such perceptions as norm, forgetting how "the liberty we have in Christ" may be expressed. A better way to put it would be, "does as Jesus taught," but if you don't want to participate in that liberty, continue to be bound.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:53 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:

Umm, if you have been on this forum any amount of time, you will see I am a Christian myself and have challenged alot of the Jewish folks that come on here to bash Christians, but Im also quite honest about why I believe what I believe and will admit when I see what I was taught was wrong...(ie Sunday worship stated after the cross an with the apostles).

It seems many Christians will turn a blind eye of the truth of why they do what they do, to defend Christianity vs the actual bible they claim to follow.

All I was doing is pointing out is that people will list what First Century Christians were doing and IGNORE the fact they were very anti Jewish, which is probably led to what their traditions became. God makes the rules, not Church Leaders.

The New Covenant was for the House of Israel only, and that is why we were grafted in, so there is no Jew commands and Christian commands, they way many people believe.

While I really dont think the Sabbath is a big a deal that we make it out to be, the truth is God said keep the Sabbath Day Holy, and it was like that for thousands of years, during and after Christ. Sunday is a RCC tradition and while it isnt wrong to worship Sunday, the truth is it is still a tradition that wasn't commanded of us.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Once again, what Jeremiah had to say about who was to receive the "New Covenant" has no bearing on what Christ instituted, and He clearly made the basis a principle and not a set of rules or laws. What amazes me about those like Richard who defend law is that they claim there is good reason for all the mitzvoth (ignoring any that don't have any) and refuse to acknowledge that any rule or interpretation must be judged by that "reason" or principle it is intended to encompass. Following without such judgement can manifestly lead to foolishness.

No, teaching that Sunday worship is mandated is error, just as teaching that Saturday worship is.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 1,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Also is it a sin to work on certain days of the week? I work in retail and my job requires me to work on the weekends and I don't see why it would be a sin to work on a certain day of the week.
A command given to a specific people in the old covenant

I am a Jew so I don't like the OT. Even though it Prophecises about the NT, I try to just read half the book

Hence why I have half the knowledge of salvation, not quite enough. PRAY FOR ME PEOPLE!!

Oh and my wife has a female friend who is a pastor, So there!! Another reason I am doomed to Hades

Old 06-03-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV

Quote:
So, Romulus, what you are saying is that we should play the conflicting scriptures game to uphold your SDA programming?
I'm simply presenting scripture, Nate. If it conflicts with your belief then so be it. I didn't write the above scripture, nor did I write the number of other scriptures that speak of obedience to the commandments. And, I have no idea why your so-called 'SDA programming' aimed at me has to do with my quoting scripture other than an attempt to discredit me. SDAs didn't write the scriptures either.

Quote:
There is considerable social pressure within a society used to authoritarian policies and teachings to present such perceptions as norm, forgetting how "the liberty we have in Christ" may be expressed. A better way to put it would be, "does as Jesus taught," but if you don't want to participate in that liberty, continue to be bound.
Do you attend church on a weekly - or a regular - basis, Nate? Well, so do the so-called 'Sabbath-keepers'. So, why are the latter group considered to be 'bound by the law' because they attend church on Saturday while you have 'liberty in Christ' because you attend church on Sunday?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Once again, what Jeremiah had to say about who was to receive the "New Covenant" has no bearing on what Christ instituted, and He clearly made the basis a principle and not a set of rules or laws. What amazes me about those like Richard who defend the law is that they claim there is a good reason for all the mitzvoth (ignoring any that don't have any) and refuse to acknowledge that any rule or interpretation must be judged by that "reason" or principle it is intended to encompass. Following without such judgment can manifestly lead to foolishness.
No, teaching that Sunday worship is mandated is an error, just as teaching that Saturday worship is.
They simply do NOT see all the implications contained in Christ's assertion that the Two Commandments to love God and each other encompass ALL the law. The Two Commandments establish the principle for which ALL the laws were initially introduced to a savage and barbaric species.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They simply do NOT see all the implications contained in Christ's assertion that the Two Commandments to love God and each other encompass ALL the law. The Two Commandments establish the principle for which ALL the laws were initially introduced to a savage and barbaric species.
That's right. The 'loving God' part is obedience to the first 4 commandments. That includes honoring the Creation Sabbath. The 'loving your neighbor' part is adhering to the other 6 commandments of the Big Ten. I do believe that this is known as 'the Royal Law' in the epistle of James (2:8). The command to 'love your neighbor' was initially found in Leviticus 19:9-18 so it has nothing to do with a so-called 'new covenant'.

Commands usually require 'actions' in the form of obedience, even if subliminal. It's against the law to murder someone. However, we don't 'not murder' someone because the law prohibits this but because our inner conscience forbids this. We generally keep the law, i.e. are obedient to precepts and principles, not because we are forced to, but because it's a part of our human nature to do the right thing. And, also to do the wrong thing occasionally. Whatever, we generally know the difference between right and wrong. If anyone keeps the 7th-day Sabbath out of the fear of 'divine negative consequences' if they don't, then they, obviously, do so for the wrong reasons.

As found in Isaiah 58:13-14

If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; and shalt honor him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity