Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 03:17 PM

243 posts, read 230,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
There is no substitute for Matthew 24:37.
ask me if I care....

Last edited by MsVaslovik; 06-05-2016 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: yi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 03:25 PM

243 posts, read 230,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
There is no substitute for Matthew 24:37. Just leave it at that as do many JWs. The early Christians were taught to preach and teach urgently yet all the while knowing what Jesus said. So one would expect to just continue doing the best one can to follow Jesus's words in Matthew 24:14 and Matthew 28:19,20 and God knows the best time to bring things to a close. Whether it comes in my lifetime or not doesn't matter.

Ya know, I don't even know what Matthew 24:37 says, nor do I care. I just want the religious fanatics to leave me the hell alone to live my life in peace without their BS pushed on me at my door when I'm trying to recover from my 18-22 hours shifts. Just get out of my face with that BS, okay? I'm all stocked up on BS here, sell it somewhere else!

I don't believe what they do, and I'm not up for the argument about it either. I don't push my own beliefs on anyone else, neither should they. Have you faith? Then have it to yourself!

Old 06-05-2016, 05:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post

Ya know, if their religion were all that great the world would be beating a path to THEIR door, instead of them harassing us in our homes, in public, and where we work. Here in Florida I see them at the bus stops, hassling people who get off the busses and are funneled right into them and they have been ringing my doorbell and knocking on my door for months here, until I had to put up a very explicit sign demanding they leave me alone or I would bring suit against them for trespass and harassment. In California one of them lived in my neighborhood and would never leave me alone anytime I showed myself outside my house. In Texas they did the same, beating on my door constantly, and in Michigan it was the same old thing 2 and 3 times a week, them at my door, pestering me to no end.

What they do is harassment. I've no use for people like them, no use for their obsessive controlling and stalking cult. They permanently alienated me many years ago.
No beating a path to their door is not likely as Jesus said the majority are beating a path to the wrong door:

Matthew 7:13-14 13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

They knock on your door because they obey Jesus:

Matthew 24:14 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Matthew 28:19 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,

Real Christians do this and pseudo ones do not.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:28 AM

910 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Its the flavour of the moment to take a swipe on JW because of their previous date errors. But I must have you know that of all the Christian Denominations, JW are closer to the truth than most others.

Have you wondered that God can also change the date to fulfill his prophecy that no one knows the time except him? I would not be hard on them because of wrong dates. I am impressed with their understanding of the coming of the Kingdom of God, something other denominations have failed to grasp, but instead propagate a wrong doctrine- rapture.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM

643 posts, read 471,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
No beating a path to their door is not likely as Jesus said the majority are beating a path to the wrong door:

Matthew 7:13-14 13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

They knock on your door because they obey Jesus:

Matthew 24:14 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Matthew 28:19 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,

Real Christians do this and pseudo ones do not.
More JW psyobabble. Since people are always being born, the so called preaching work could never end. LMAO. What is preached in all the world even mean? There will always be someone somewhere or even in every country that has not heard of this small group of shrinking members and halls. Teach them what? More wrong dates? That the Pyramids are not really built by Jehovah now?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM

JWs making crap up since 1874. Aluminum is the devils metal. LMAO, you can not make this stuff up.The Golden Age, Sept. 23, 1936, p. 803. The Golden Age was the pre runner to the Awake rag.
Attached Thumbnails
Jehovahs Witnesses and fales dates.-alumdinner.gif  

Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 AM

More crazy anti aluminum Golden age pre awake rag insane musings.
Attached Thumbnails
Jehovahs Witnesses and fales dates.-alumgoat.gif   Jehovahs Witnesses and fales dates.-ama.gif   Jehovahs Witnesses and fales dates.-tomb.gif  

Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 AM

This religion and I use the term religion loosely, is very dangerous. From a distance its a comical affair with a bunch of key stone cop types running the org. but if you get too close they are dangerous to families. They also hide pedophiles.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:35 AM

741 posts, read 444,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Its the flavour of the moment to take a swipe on JW because of their previous date errors. But I must have you know that of all the Christian Denominations, JW are closer to the truth than most others.

Have you wondered that God can also change the date to fulfill his prophecy that no one knows the time except him? I would not be hard on them because of wrong dates. I am impressed with their understanding of the coming of the Kingdom of God, something other denominations have failed to grasp, but instead propagate a wrong doctrine- rapture.
I agree. There is another major Bible principal to take into account for others' errors. Forgiveness for those that see their error and stop. Peter once asked Jesus how many times should I forgive his brother. Seven times? He said seven because at the time the Jewish rulership had installed 3 times as law. Peter thought he was being generous. Jesus replied, "“I say to you, not, Up to seven times, but, Up to seventy-seven times." (Mat 18 :21, 22) As Marlbron points out while the Witnesses have abandoned the search for the correct date as it is confirmed futile to try, other denominations hold on to doctrines that have time and time again been proven wrong in the Bible. A mistake, learn from it and move on is one thing. But to practice a mistakes is another. It would be like Witnesses trying to preach that the end of this system of things did end in 1914. If they tried to hold on to that belief there wouldn't be 8 million worldwide that's for sure. Yet so many today hold on to the rapture and eternal hellfire though they know the Bible doesn't support it.

Indeed Jehovah's Witnesses are closer to truth than any other religion I have examined and I have examined so many I can't count them all. If a person wants to follow what they believe then their are many options. But if a person wants to join others to find the truth then I only know of one, Jehovah's Witnesses. Have we found 100% of the answers? Nope. But at least we are still searching and dump anything that doesn't pan out in the Bible while others hang on to something to save face. I don't know many people in a religion that are both willing to admit when they are wrong and to admit when they don't really know. They will give their best educated guess on those harder questions that the Bible just doesn't answer in direct words. What they try not do is look to themselves for some 'interpreted' answer from their own heart's desires. Anytime they have, they are always corrected over time and accept the correction and take the nasty stuff from the unforgiving people say about them, like some in this very thread. Only a people with God's backing can make mistakes but still continue to grow at such a fast rate. We are human, we are flawed, lets move on. Jehovah doesn't spend time staying mad and hauling around every error. Psalms 30:5 says that Jehovah's anger is only for a moment and Isaiah 12:1 says that Jehovah's anger gradually will subside. Not so with these accusers. They carry around anger constantly. Choking those that they feel owe them a debt. Wishing they were in prison. (Matthew 18:23-35) These folks are fulfilling the Bible's words and so blinded with hatred can't even see that they are fulfilling the Bible. Or if they do see it, they certainly wouldn't admit it.

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 06-06-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 01:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
I agree. There is another major Bible principal to take into account for others' errors. Forgiveness for those that see their error and stop. Peter once asked Jesus how many times should I forgive his brother. Seven times? He said seven because at the time the Jewish rulership had installed 3 times as law. Peter thought he was being generous. Jesus replied, "“I say to you, not, Up to seven times, but, Up to seventy-seven times." (Mat 18 :21, 22) As Marlbron points out while the Witnesses have abandoned the search for the correct date as it is confirmed futile to try, other denominations hold on to doctrines that have time and time again been proven wrong in the Bible. A mistake, learn from it and move on is one thing. But to practice a mistakes is another. It would be like Witnesses trying to preach that the end of this system of things did end in 1914. If they tried to hold on to that belief there wouldn't be 8 million worldwide that's for sure. Yet so many today hold on to the rapture and eternal hellfire though they know the Bible doesn't support it.

Indeed Jehovah's Witnesses are closer to truth than any other religion I have examined and I have examined so many I can't count them all. If a person wants to follow what they believe then their are many options. But if a person wants to join others to find the truth then I only know of one, Jehovah's Witnesses. Have we found 100% of the answers? Nope. But at least we are still searching and dump anything that doesn't pan out in the Bible while others hang on to something to save face. I don't know many people in a religion that are both willing to admit when they are wrong and to admit when they don't really know. They will give their best educated guess on those harder questions that the Bible just doesn't answer in direct words. What they try not do is look to themselves for some 'interpreted' answer from their own heart's desires. Anytime they have, they are always corrected over time and accept the correction and take the nasty stuff from the unforgiving people say about them, like some in this very thread. Only a people with God's backing can make mistakes but still continue to grow at such a fast rate. We are human, we are flawed, lets move on. Jehovah doesn't spend time staying mad and hauling around every error. Psalms 30:5 says that Jehovah's anger is only for a moment and Isaiah 12:1 says that Jehovah's anger gradually will subside. Not so with these accusers. They carry around anger constantly. Choking those that they feel owe them a debt. Wishing they were in prison. (Matthew 18:23-35) These folks are fulfilling the Bible's words and so blinded with hatred can't even see that they are fulfilling the Bible. Or if they do see it, they certainly wouldn't admit it.
Look at other Churches:

Martin Luther:

... founder of the German Reformation. ... he was educated a Magdeburg and Eisenbach, and then at Erfurt University ( 1501-5). p.1007

Cross Dictionary of the Church 3rd Edition.

We will now examine some of Luther=s expectations and the predictions he made.

Other considerations, however, motivated the urgency of Luther=s tract on the Turks. At no other time in his life was he so certain of the imminence of the end, and in the months from late 1529 to the early part of 1530 he worked feverishly to understand and incorporate the event of the Turk into the total scheme of history. <e p. 245
The Germans are exhorted to repentance before the final wrath of God, and Christ is expected to appear and destroy God and Magog (Wbr 5:166-67, 170).. <e p. 245

Billy Graham, once told a rally in Los Angeles in 1950: “I sincerely believe that the Lord draweth nigh. We may have another year, maybe two years, to work for Jesus Christ, and, Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe it is all going to be over ... two years and it’s all going to be over.”In 1950, the famous Baptist evangelist, Billy Graham told a group in Los Angeles: “Two years and its all going to be over.”

Baptist groups “the Anabaptists of the early Sixteenth Century believed that the Millenium would occur in 1533.” 7 Another source reports: “When the prophecy failed, the Anabaptists became more zealous and claimed that two witnesses [Enoch and Elijah] HAD come in the form of Jan Matthys [b.ca.1500-d.1534] and

Jan Bockelson [b.1509-d.1536]; they would set up the New Jerusalem in Munster. Munster became a
frightening dictatorship under Bockelson’s control. Although all Lutherans and Catholics were expelled rom that city, the millennium never came.”8 In the early 1900s,

The well known Dr. Isaac M. Haldeman, pastor of the First Baptist Church in New York City, predicted that before the Jews returned to Palestine to establish a Jewish State – an event that happened in 1948 – that the AntiChrist would appear. Haldeman explained: “The Scriptures teach that this man (the AntiChrist) will be the prime factor in bringing the Jews back, as a body into their land; that he will be the power that shall make Zionism a success; that through him the nationalism of the Jews shall be accomplished.” 9 This did not happen.

Baptist pastor, Peter Sturges Ruckman (b.1921-d.?), founder of the “Pensacola Bible Institute” (Florida), predicted the Rapture would occur in 1990 – it did not.

Roman Catholic Church

The Roman Catholic Church also has a history of failed predictions. For example, Gregory I who was pope from 590-604 AD predicted the end of the world was near in a letter that he wrote to Ethelbert, a European monarch. He advised: “Further, we also wish Your Majesty to know, as we have learned from the words of Almighty God in Holy Scriptures, that the end of the present world is already near and that the unending Kingdom of the Saints is approaching. As this same end of the world is drawing nigh, many unusual things will happen – climatic changes, terrors from heaven.…All these things are not to come in our days, but they will follow upon our times.”11 Turning to another figure, Cardinal Nicholas de Cusa (b.1401-d.1464 AD) was “a cardinal of great learning…
Festinger, Leon (b.1919-d.?). When Prophecy Fails. Riecken, Henry W. (b.?-d.?); Schachter, Stanley (b.?-d.?), Co-Authors.
(Minneapolis, Minnesota: University of Minnesota Press, 1956), p. 7. BF1809 .F4 / 56011611.

Presbyterian Church

Thomas Brightman, who lived from 1562 to 1607, has been called “one of the fathers of Presbyterianism England.” This well educated and esteemed fellow predicted that “between 1650 and 1695 [we] would see the conversion of the many Jews and a revival of their nation in Palestine…the destruction of the Papacy…the marriage of the Lamb and his wife.”14 This did not happen. Christopher Love, who lived from 1618-1651 AD, was a bright graduate of Oxford and a strong Presbyterian. Love predicted (1) Babylon would fall in 1758 (2) God’s anger against the wicked would be demonstrated in 1759, and (3) in 1763 there would occur a great earthquake all over the world.15 None of this happened.

Assemblies Of God Church

The Assemblies of God Church has made an indelible impression because of its active evangelical work. This group has featured popular, evangelical pastors on television and on radio. Like other popular groups, this community has a rich history of failed date predictions. One definitive study of predictions made within this church was published by an Assemblies of God scholar and pastor, Professor Dwight Wilson. The book he wrote is entitled: Armageddon Now! On the jacket of his book is this caveat: “The author cautions his fellow Premillinarians that they will lose their credibility if they continue to see in each political crisis a sure fulfillment of Biblical prophecy – despite their obvious errors concerning earliercrises.”

The founder of the Calvary Chapel system is the charismatic Pastor Chuck Smith. Some years ago, he published a book entitled: End Times. On the jacket of his book, Smith is called a “well known Bible scholar and prophecy teacher.” In this book he wrote: “As we look at the world scene today, it wouldappear that the coming of the Lord is very, very, close. Yet, we do not know when it will be. It could be that the Lord will wait for a time longer. If I understand Scripture correctly, Jesus taught us that the generation which sees the ‘budding of the fig tree’, the birth of the nation Israel, will be the generation that sees the Lord’s return; I believe that the generation of 1948 is the last generation. Since a generation of judgment is forty years and the tribulation lasts seven years, I believe the Lord could come back for his church anytime before the tribulation starts, which would mean anytime BEFORE 1981. (1948 + 40 -7= 1981) However, it is possible that Jesus is dating the beginning of the generation from 1967, when Jerusalem was again under Israelis control for the first time since 5876 BC. We don’t know for sure which year actually marks the beginning of the last generation.”

The same viewpoint was published by the popular Pastor Hal Lindsay in his widely published book entitled: The Late Great Planet Earth. Apologies followed when things did not occur as expected.

The Anglican Church (Episcopal Church in the United States)

In volume 2 of, The Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers, historian Leroy Edwin Froom tells us about a prominent Anglican prelate who made a very significant prediction: “Edwin Sandys [b.1519-d.1588], Archbishop of York and Primate of England was born in Lancastershire.…Sandys says, ‘Now, as we know not the day and time, so let us be assured that this coming of the Lord is near. He is not slack, as we do count slackness. That it is at hand, it may be probably gathered out of the Scriptures in divers places. The signs mentioned by Christ in the Gospel which should be the foreshewers of this terrible day, are almost all fulfilled.’”23 This prediction was made over 400 years ago.

Methodist Church

John and Charles Wesley are credited with founding the Methodist Church. John wrote extensively on
Bible prophecy. In his Notes on the Bible24 for Revelation chapter 10 we find: “The non-chronos herementioned seems to begin in the year 800, (when Charles the Great instituted in the west a new line of emperors, or of ‘many kings’) to end in the year 1836; and to contain, among other things, the ‘short time’ of the third woe, the ‘three times and a half’ of the woman in the wilderness, and ‘duration of the beast.’” This prediction, which was to conclude in 1836 AD, did not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity