Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I don't know the end result of anyone, but I will quote some scripture at you.

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God."

According to this passage, it doesn't matter if someone prays or goes to church or acknowledges the existence of God. If they love, then they they know God.
NAILED it! No rep for you though. That's what you get for nailing too many things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,362,573 times
Quote:

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God."

According to this passage, it doesn't matter if someone prays or goes to church or acknowledges the existence of God. If they love, then they they know God.
And that is why jews, Muslims, and others are also saved.

God is not anal.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Or, as William Penn put it: "The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious and devout souls everywhere are of one religion and when death has taken off the mask, they will know one another, though the diverse liveries they wore here make them strangers."

Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:

A p.s. to my post. Some more scripture quoting . This, I believe, speaks to the "end result" of not loving:

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing."

If we don't have love ... we give nothing of worth to others, and we gain nothing of worth.

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends."

Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
NAILED it! No rep for you though. That's what you get for nailing too many things.
Yeah, that's how I feel about your posts.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,362,573 times
Quote:

Agreed!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,539,368 times
Quote:

Exactly!! "His yoke is easy, His burden is light" and I am out of reps

Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:

That same passage says this:

15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

Hmmm...

Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That same passage says this:

15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

Hmmm...

Okay. And the verse immediately after (v 16) says,

"So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

What is not said is that if someone does not confess that Jesus is the son of God, then God doesn't abide in him. Whereas we are assured that a person without love does not truly know God: 'If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.'

Going back to the passage that you posted in a previous post, because I know you think it means that people who aren't Christians are damned to hell:

"He who is believing in him is not judged, but he who is not believing hath been judged already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
"

You're entitled to believe what you wish about this passage, of course jimmiej. But the whole key to it, as far as I'm concerned, is the phrase that I have bolded, and underlined: "in the name". Jesus' name means "God is salvation".

We are further told that "God is love".

I put those two things together, along with the passages in 1 John that assure us that those who love are born of God, and I know that God/Love is our salvation.

So, those who have love ARE believing (and actually acting on that belief) IN THE NAME.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
Okay. And the verse immediately after (v 16) says,

"So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

What is not said is that if someone does not confess that Jesus is the son of God, then God doesn't abide in him. Whereas we are assured that a person without love does not truly know God: 'If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.'

Going back to the passage that you posted in a previous post, because I know you think it means that people who aren't Christians are damned to hell:

"He who is believing in him is not judged, but he who is not believing hath been judged already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
"

You're entitled to believe what you wish about this passage, of course jimmiej. But the whole key to it, as far as I'm concerned, is the phrase that I have bolded, and underlined: "in the name". Jesus' name means "God is salvation".

We are further told that "God is love".

I put those two things together, along with the passages in 1 John that assure us that those who love are born of God, and I know that God/Love is our salvation.

So, those who have love ARE believing (and actually acting on that belief) IN THE NAME.
Well, then we have this:

Romans 10

"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.”

Does a person have to actually verbally confess and authentically believe in Jesus' redemptive work, to receive salvation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity