Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 AM

250 posts, read 503,452 times

Advertisements

One other purpose for the Book of Mormon is to corroborate the truth of the Bible. If the Book of Momon is true then so is the Bible.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 AM

A follow-up question often is "What is the Book of Mormon?"

I apologize if everyone knows this already, but since I don't know if that is the case I will attempt to explain the Book of Mormon. It is, afterall, the reason we are called "Mormons".

The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible and contains as does the Bible the fullenss of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a record of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas.

It was written by many ancient prophets by the spirit of prophecy and revelation, similar to the Bible. They recorded their words on metallic plates in order to preserve them for future generations. These records were quoted and abridged and written on plates of gold by a prophet-historian named Mormon--thus the book is given the title "Book of Mormon", though it has little to do with Mormon himself.

The record of the Book of Mormon gives an account of two great civilizations. One came from Jerusalem in 600 B.C. and afterward separated into two groups known as the Nephites and the Lamanites. The other came much earlier when the Lord confounded the languages at the tower of Babel. Of this early group, we only have a very brief history. The bulk of the Book of Mormon concerns itself with the Lamanites and the Nephites.

To be continued.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:47 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
Quote:
If the Book of Momon is true then so is the Bible.
I have a question here. How does one satifsy this statement if one of the articles states that the church believes the Bible as far as it is translated correctly or are you implying something different here?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM

Can you rephrase the question, I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
It was written by many ancient prophets by the spirit of prophecy and revelation, similar to the Bible. They recorded their words on metallic plates in order to preserve them for future generations. These records were quoted and abridged and written on plates of gold by a prophet-historian named Mormon--thus the book is given the title "Book of Mormon", though it has little to do with Mormon himself.
I know you just said that there is not actually much about Mormon in the BOM, but I am wondering if Mormon was one of the Nephites, Lamanites, or the earlier civilization?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I have a question here. How does one satifsy this statement if one of the articles states that the church believes the Bible as far as it is translated correctly or are you implying something different here?
Even though there are omissions or translation errors in the Bible, it is still true. We have never stated the Bible is not true, but we do contend there are errors or omissions, which makes the Bible less understandable. The basic Gospel of Jesus Christ is contained in the Bible. It includes repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and obeying the Commandments.

Here is a typical example of what we believe is a mistranslation:

Jonah 3:10

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

God is perfect; therefore, He cannot do evil and has no need to repent. This verse should read something along the following lines:

And God saw their works, that they repented from their evil way, and God turned from that he said he would do unto them; and He did it not.

As you can see, the truth is contained in both the KJV verse and my translation; however, the KJV verse can lead one to believe God needs to repent and can commit evil acts.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I know you just said that there is not actually much about Mormon in the BOM, but I am wondering if Mormon was one of the Nephites, Lamanites, or the earlier civilization?
Mormon was of the Nephite lineage.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
I have always heard that the BOM was written in the Egyption language when it was inscribed on the plates. Is that correct?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I have always heard that the BOM was written in the Egyption language when it was inscribed on the plates. Is that correct?
The term Nephite and Mormon use is "reformned Eqyption." This does not mean there was an actual writing style known by the Eqyptions as "reformed;" it is what the Nephites called their writing. Mormon tells us the Nephite writing form was derived from the Egyption style, but was changed to meet their needs. In short, it was a unique written language based on the Eqyption style.

It would seem strange that Hebrews would use an Egyption style; however, in Israel prior to the time of Lehi's exoudus, it was not unusual for Hebrews to trade with Eqyptions and use their writing style to communicate.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
Sergeant, you answered my question very well....thanks!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity