Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM

250 posts, read 503,963 times

Advertisements

I am afraid, Red, that Twin and I simply disagree on this. Since this is a thread on what Mormon's believe, I will quote from the Doctrine and Covenants, a book of revelations received by the prophet Joseph Smith.

And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord (D & C 119)

But I will agree with Twin that there are many blessings that come from paying tithing.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks for your comment, Doji. I agree with you. Twin is a real stickler for his interpretation of grace and works.

This is an interesting diversion. I am glad to see new people posting in this thread. You are welcome to post here. I am conducting a discussion on the articles of faith, which are brief written declarations of Mormon (Latter-Day Saint, LDS) doctrine. I am not the most qualified to lead this discussion but others have graciously allowed me to do so.

Do we want to talk about Tithing some more or do we want to continue the AOF discussion? I know that I digressed to the First Vision, but I thought it was important to give that background before discussing the orgins of the Book of Mormon.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,693 times
It is fine with me if you continue.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks Doji, you're like the friendly face in the crowd. Anybody else?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,513,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
I am afraid, Red, that Twin and I simply disagree on this. Since this is a thread on what Mormon's believe, I will quote from the Doctrine and Covenants, a book of revelations received by the prophet Joseph Smith.

And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord (D & C 119)
(4) As the Savior. Not a Savior who did everything for mankind but rather one -
----(a) who conquered physical death for mankind,
----(b) who paid our debt and is patient with us as we pay him back in full,
----(c) who served as our example, showing us what we have to do to save ourselves

Zimbabwe, can you please tell me how this was twisting and misrepresenting your belief when I summarized this from D&C 119. I knew that this was spoken to me from somebody (Missionaries?) but they never referenced the verse. Can you tell me what verse it is?

I would really want to know how to understand from your view how paying one tenth forever isn't a Savior who wants to be paided back in full.

Just a few other questions as I re-read the D&C 119 quote.
How long is forever?
If it isn't forever, when do I stop paying?

Again, Zimbabwe, I'm not being sarcastic.

Last edited by twin.spin; 02-26-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 11:09 PM

791 posts, read 2,961,671 times
I have another question..
We had a couple Mormon boys over last night and they answered some questions we had about the church. They explained that church services lasted 3 hours, Oh my gosh 3 hours I couldn't believe it. Is it true that some leave after the first hour and if so is it considered rude?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
We had a couple Mormon boys over last night and they answered some questions we had about the church. They explained that church services lasted 3 hours, Oh my gosh 3 hours I couldn't believe it. Is it true that some leave after the first hour and if so is it considered rude?
It seems long doesn't it? Really it is not as bad as it sounds. The first hour is Sacrament Service which is equivalent to other churches' worship service. The second hour is Sunday School which is what it sounds like. Unlike passively listening to a sermon from the pulpit, In Sunday school we have the opportunity to discuss the gospel in a classroom setting. The lessons focus on the scriptures. The third hour is priesthood for the men and Relief Society for the women. These meetings are more casual and address the needs of men and women and their duties to care and look after others. I personally love each hour and am bummed out if I miss any one of these. Is it rude to leave after the first hour? No. Some people do it--for a variety of reasons. They miss the rest of the fun, in my humble opinion. My wife is a convert to the church and she had the same reaction as you when the missionaries told her that, ha ha. I think she broke herself into it slowly.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin;
(a) who conquered physical death for mankind,
(b) [COLOR=blue
who paid our debt and is patient with us as we pay him back in full [/color]
(c) who served as our example, showing us what we have to do to save ourselves
I think there are others who can answer your question better than me. But your three point "summary" of our belief is incorrect. Tithing is not "paying back" our debt to the Lord. It is an exercize in faith. It is designed to bless us. The Lord could have easily shown the prophet Joseph Smith where there was a mine full of gold that provided for all the needs of the church, right? Now what good would that have been for us? We would not have had to do anything to exersize our faith. Instead we have a wonderful opportunity to exersize our faith and trust in the Lord by paying our tithing. Paying tihting is for our benefit, not the Lord's benefit. I hope that helps. Thanks for the question.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,738,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
I think there are others who can answer your question better than me. But your three point "summary" of our belief is incorrect. Tithing is not "paying back" our debt to the Lord. It is an exercize in faith. It is designed to bless us. The Lord could have easily shown the prophet Joseph Smith where there was a mine full of gold that provided for all the needs of the church, right? Now what good would that have been for us? We would not have had to do anything to exersize our faith. Instead we have a wonderful opportunity to exersize our faith and trust in the Lord by paying our tithing. Paying tihting is for our benefit, not the Lord's benefit. I hope that helps. Thanks for the question.
Faith and recognition of blessings is a personal thing, but I can say with a certainty that I have been blessed for paying tithing. I know the Lord does keep His promise even today, so the law of tithing is not dead to those who pay tithing in faith.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,147,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
When I first went to an LDS Church I really didn't even notice the time. Seriously it just flew by. I was never used to going to church either and when I did I found just the 1 hour to be long and oftimes boring. Maybe it is because in an LDS Sacrament meeting the talks are given by members of the ward or other leaders in the church. And as zimbabwe said the sunday school and RS/PH meetings can be quite interactive. I never understood why some people leave after Sacrament because the other meetings can be so much fun and spiritually edifiying.

P.S. I've really enjoyed your discussion zimbabwe along with all the other comments. It's nice to see such a civil discussion about mormon doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.