Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Now excuse me for pointing out the obvious! How can you claim for a fact that Mary is alive and in heaven if you also claim you think it would be arrogant to "pretend i know" concerning the afterlife? Do you not see your contradiction here?
RD, it is possible to use reason and be Christian. From a logical point of view I cannot be certain there is an afterlife. Within Christianity an afterlife is accepted, but it is an act of faith.

It is possible to separate faith and logic. I don't have any problems in creating these compartments. Others cannot do this.
Quote:
I would also point out you claim you cannot know that which scripture clearly states and then you claim to know for a fact something that scripture does not even mention.
I congratulate you for having blind faith which leads to 100% certainty. My faith is not like that and I leave room for something else. I am ready for the afterlife, but i am also ready for NOTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Julian,
Thank you for answering. I don't fault you for not claiming CERTAINTY. In fact, it's quite a rare thing to find a Christian who is willing to admit that they are not CERTAIN about everything. Yet isn't this the reason we need to have faith (and hope) because we are not CERTAIN of the mysteries hidden from us. So I commend you and I appreciate that you were not offended by my question.
I think it was a very good question.

And this is a question that many are afraid to ask.

The teachings of Jesus is more than enough for me. The story of Christianity is inspiring and that is good enough for me. I don't expect anything in return.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM

174 posts, read 305,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I love Mary, I think is a breath of fresh air to have the Mother of Jesus around and God knows the "Ave Maria" by Schubert is masterpiece, Mostly played at weddings. Can you accept differences among Christians?
Let's stick to the facts, as Elwood P. Dowd suggested in Harvey. Mary was indeed the mother of Jesus. But the designation of Mary as "Mother of Jesus" was specifically rejected (indeed, condemned) nearly 1600 years ago in favor of "Mother of God." A minor point to some, perhaps, but the idea that anyone would be designated the Mother of God was one of the first things that sent my Strange-O-Meter into the ozone many years ago and piqued my interest in Catholicism. I could accept "Birth Mother of the Son of God in His Earthly Incarnation," which we could agree to conveniently abbreviate as BMOSOGIHEI. "Queen of Heaven" also sends the Strange-O-Meter into the red zone. As I said previously, I can assure everyone that I'm a good Christian but just happen to believe on the basis of extra-biblical evidence that Jesus was a reptilian alien, but I think most Christians would say, "No, you cannot just engraft onto Christianity anything you want and still call it Christianity. You can call it a religion, but it is not Christianity." For someone to try to convince me that even though the New Testament and other foundational Christian documents barely take notice of Mary apart from the Virgin Birth narratives, but she was nevertheless there in the background as the acknowledged Mother of God and Queen of Heaven -- well, sorry, but the Strange-O-Meter just melted down.
The Council of Ephesus was a council of Christian bishops convened in Ephesus (near present-day Selçuk in Turkey) in AD 431 by the Roman Emperor Theodosius II. This third ecumenical council, an effort to attain consensus in the church through an assembly representing all of Christendom, confirmed the original Nicene Creed, and condemned the teachings of Nestorius, Patriarch of Constantinople that Virgin Mary may be called the Christotokos, "Birth Giver of Christ" but not the Theotokos, "Birth Giver of God". It met in June and July 431 at the Church of Mary in Ephesus in Anatolia.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
Let's stick to the facts, as Elwood P. Dowd suggested in Harvey. Mary was indeed the mother of Jesus. But the designation of Mary as "Mother of Jesus" was specifically rejected (indeed, condemned) nearly 1600 years ago in favor of "Mother of God." A minor point to some, perhaps, but the idea that anyone would be designated the Mother of God was one of the first things that sent my Strange-O-Meter into the ozone many years ago and piqued my interest in Catholicism. I could accept "Birth Mother of the Son of God in His Earthly Incarnation," which we could agree to conveniently abbreviate as BMOSOGIHEI. "Queen of Heaven" also sends the Strange-O-Meter into the red zone. As I said previously, I can assure everyone that I'm a good Christian but just happen to believe on the basis of extra-biblical evidence that Jesus was a reptilian alien, but I think most Christians would say, "No, you cannot just engraft onto Christianity anything you want and still call it Christianity. You can call it a religion, but it is not Christianity." For someone to try to convince me that even though the New Testament and other foundational Christian documents barely take notice of Mary apart from the Virgin Birth narratives, but she was nevertheless there in the background as the acknowledged Mother of God and Queen of Heaven -- well, sorry, but the Strange-O-Meter just melted down.
The Council of Ephesus was a council of Christian bishops convened in Ephesus (near present-day Selçuk in Turkey) in AD 431 by the Roman Emperor Theodosius II. This third ecumenical council, an effort to attain consensus in the church through an assembly representing all of Christendom, confirmed the original Nicene Creed, and condemned the teachings of Nestorius, Patriarch of Constantinople that Virgin Mary may be called the Christotokos, "Birth Giver of Christ" but not the Theotokos, "Birth Giver of God". It met in June and July 431 at the Church of Mary in Ephesus in Anatolia.
You make a fatal mistake in your elegant post.

You completely discount the Oral Tradition which was the predominant way top spread Christianity.

The Bible says nothing about the martyrdom of Peter and Paul, but we know about it because of Oral Tradition. The bible says nothing about the ministry of many other disciples. That does not mean they did not go out to spread Christianity.

The post resurrection era did not have a written NT. Christianity was done with Oral Tradition. And the early Christians knew about Mary that is why she gradually became more important.

You also ignore the tradition of honoring the martyrs as saints in early Christianity. When you go Sola Scriptura, you give away a HUGE chunk of Christianity.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Mary is alive!

She is heaven and she knows the thief that was next to jesus in the cross.
She still died. I see nothing in scripture to indicate that she bypassed the grave.

The point also remains that Catholics are taught to pray to Saints -- who have also died.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
She still died. I see nothing in scripture to indicate that she bypassed the grave.

The point also remains that Catholics are taught to pray to Saints -- who have also died.
The fact that they even make people saints shows how wrongheaded they are when it comes to Jesus and true Christianity. Then you have the Papacy telling all of their followers that the pope is the Vicar of Christ, which means that he takes the place of Jesus Christ, which of course is completely blasphemous at the very least, and definitely goes against the Bible and Jesus' teachings by teaching false teachings. One of the many false teachings happens to be telling their followers, and I know this since I was raised Catholic, to confess their sins to a priest and by doing penitence that said priest gives them, they will be forgiven. That, in itself, is totally against the Bible because Jesus, Himself, said that the only way to God is through Him and that all we need to do is to ask forgiveness from God in Jesus' name. Then, of course, you have the idol worship they have within all of their churches, beautiful as they may be. The last one I will mention here is the Papacy making saints out of people. How ignorant is that? Totally against the Bible also, by once again, going against Jesus' own mouth and the true scriptures of the Bible.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
The fact that they even make people saints shows how wrongheaded they are when it comes to Jesus and true Christianity.
You are not well versed in Catholicism, easy prey for the Sola Scriptura folks. There is nothing wrong in honoring those that lived like good Christians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEeYySmk3E

Quote:
Then you have the Papacy telling all of their followers that the pope is the Vicar of Christ, which means that he takes the place of Jesus Christ
Have you read John 21: 15-17????????? Now i can see you were easy pray to the Sola Scriptura folks. Yo are regurgitatiing their anti-Catholic dogma without analyzing the bible.

Quote:
to confess their sins to a priest and by doing penitence that said priest gives them, they will be forgiven. That, in itself, is totally against the Bible because Jesus, Himself, said that the only way to God is through Him and that all we need to do is to ask forgiveness from God in Jesus' name.
OMG, I you sure you were Catholic????? Please read the bible. Do not listen to your preacher, he is just teaching you standard anti-catholic dogma. This is what Jesus said to the Apostles (see bold):

John 20:21-23
King James Version (KJV)
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Quote:
once again, going against Jesus' own mouth and the true scriptures of the Bible.

Listen to yourself! Then read the above verses John 21: 15-17 and John 20:21-23 with your minister.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEeYySmk3E

Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
RD, it is possible to use reason and be Christian. From a logical point of view I cannot be certain there is an afterlife. Within Christianity an afterlife is accepted, but it is an act of faith.

It is possible to separate faith and logic. I don't have any problems in creating these compartments. Others cannot do this.

I congratulate you for having blind faith which leads to 100% certainty. My faith is not like that and I leave room for something else. I am ready for the afterlife, but i am also ready for NOTHING.
But you did not address how, based on what you said above, you can say with absolute certainty that Mary is in Heaven and knows the thief who hung beside Jesus? Therein is the entire point of my original post that you avoided dealing with.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
But you did not address how, based on what you said above, you can say with absolute certainty that Mary is in Heaven and knows the thief who hung beside Jesus? Therein is the entire point of my original post that you avoided dealing with.
OK, we are talking in the context of Christianity.

Outside Christianity, I only know I know nothing. It would be arrogant from my part to claim I know all those things.

When I discussed religion with you I do it within the context of Catholicism which is part of may cultural heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity