Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:26 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,592,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
In some ways, Dude. Most of the time I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
I laugh, sometimes to the point of crying. Then I give thanks for people like him.

Whether he realizes it or not it is people like him who are driving away people from the fundamentalist/evangelical churches and right into my congregation. We are growing, mostly with people tired of being condemned, admonished and berated to by an untrained preacher who "just knows" what God says and of course is the only way to salvation.

They come to us because I preach love, tolerance, acceptance - no you can't skate through life and be a jerk, but you don't have to be doctrinally perfect lest you lose your place in heaven. The more folks like him rant and rave, I pray the more they come to us and find a gospel message of love and understand what Christ meant when he said love one another as I have loved you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 PM

250 posts, read 219,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
And I bet you can't tell me the last time you celebrated ONE Biblical Holy Day. Sad.
I celebrate every single Biblical Holy day ever given to the Church age believers and Gentiles. Never miss a single one.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM

550 posts, read 518,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
I celebrate every single Biblical Holy day ever given to the Church age believers and Gentiles. Never miss a single one.
Great. so when is the next High Holy Day?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:08 PM

550 posts, read 518,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift
In some ways, Dude. Most of the time I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I laugh, sometimes to the point of crying. Then I give thanks for people like him.

Whether he realizes it or not it is people like him who are driving away people from the fundamentalist/evangelical churches and right into my congregation. We are growing, mostly with people tired of being condemned, admonished and berated to by an untrained preacher who "just knows" what God says and of course is the only way to salvation.

They come to us because I preach love, tolerance, acceptance - no you can't skate through life and be a jerk, but you don't have to be doctrinally perfect lest you lose your place in heaven. The more folks like him rant and rave, I pray the more they come to us and find a gospel message of love and understand what Christ meant when he said love one another as I have loved you.

What you two should be laughing at is how ignorant you are of The Holy Bible.

And was Yeshua a jerk for turning over the tables of the money changers in all places...the CHURCH?.

You people can't be hooked on Joel Osteen and TD Jakes and think you got it all figured out.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
[/i]

What you two should be laughing at is how ignorant you are of The Holy Bible.

And was Yeshua a jerk for turning over the tables of the money changers in all places...the CHURCH?.

You people can't be hooked on Joel Osteen and TD Jakes and think you got it all figured out.
Remember in the movie It's A Wonderful Life when the angel told James Stewart that every time a bell rang, it meant an angel got its wings?

Well, every time you post, you send another Christian to revrandy's church!

Or maybe to my Pagan forests and lakes and meadows!

May the Creator continue to bless the work you do.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:51 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,649,126 times
I agree that Pagan practices have entered the church. Jesus Christ was not born on December 25th in a freezing cold manger. Tammuz, the pagan Sun "god" as well as many other counterfeit sun gods were. Satan is the great counterfeit, and ultimately Christmas is a mockery toward God.

Think about it.. Santa (Satan?) lives in the "North" pole, is someone children believe in, makes a list to see who's naughty or nice (Works merit), gives good gifts to good children, etc.. Santa takes the glory away from Jesus. It's all a spiritual mockery of God from Satan and His fallen angels IMO.

I don't think there is any issue though of say putting up Christmas lights unless of course you are putting them up to help the sun in the darkest time of the year make it's rounds.

Easter (Ishtar).. fertility goddess... that explains why a bunny and eggs are popularized on a day that is supposed to be commemorating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.. go to church.. everybody will be religious, and then go back to the house to perform the pagan rites..

Of course people have no idea what they are doing and what they are symbolizing.. I don't think the majority of people going to church even know why they are going.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
And I bet you can't tell me the last time you celebrated ONE Biblical Holy Day. Sad.
You lose. I attended a Passover Seder this year.

But I do enjoy Halloween. When your head explodes could you take a selfie and post it? It would make a cool.decoration.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,384,476 times
My family had a tradition every year of celebrating the day we migrated to this country coming together and eating dinner, playing board games and dressing in the clothes we wore when on a day we came here on the same day of the year we arrived ....UNTIL we learned that is how the Sumerians Worshiped Gozer for bringing them to to Sumeria!! Now we are scared to death that God will think we were Worshipping Gozer all these years!!

I also use to be a Trekkie and used the Vulcan "live long and prosper" had sign to other Trekkies at conventions until I realised thats how the ancient Turkish god Bowser was worshipped...

...Ok I made all of that up, but that's how ridiculous this ultra-exclusivist argument about God being mad over these "Pagan" holidays (that really have nothing to do with pagan god worship anymore) really is.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 07-16-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a really strange point of view . . . since the only way I know of to BE a pagan is to INTEND to be. The only way I know of to celebrate a pagan holiday is to INTEND to celebrate a pagan holiday. How in your mind do people celebrate things they do NOT INTEND to celebrate????
Quote:
The sooner "Christians" realize that they are really Pagans, the better off they will be in making wise decisions about what to celebrate and when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I agree that Pagan practices have entered the church. Jesus Christ was not born on December 25th in a freezing cold manger. Tammuz, the pagan Sun "god" as well as many other counterfeit sun gods were. Satan is the great counterfeit, and ultimately Christmas is a mockery toward God.<snip>
Of course people have no idea what they are doing and what they are symbolizing.. I don't think the majority of people going to church even know why they are going.
Perhaps both of you would answer my question in bold. I am at a loss to understand how anyone could celebrate something they do not INTEND to celebrate.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
My family had a tradition every year of celebrating the day we migrated to this country coming together and eating dinner, playing board games and dressing in the clothes we wore when on a day we came here on the same day of the year we arrived ....UNTIL we realized that how the Sumerians Worshiped Gozer for bringing them to to Sumeria!! Now we are scared to death that God will think we were Worshipping Gozer all these years!!

...Ok I made all of that up, but that's how ridiculous this ultra-exclusivist argument about God being mad over these "Pagan" holidays (that really have nothing to do with pagan god worship anymore) really is.
That was good. You had me believing you for a minute!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity