Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,320,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I can see why you ask, because the wording suggests love is their god.
Correct, at last you are getting it....God Is Love

1 John 4:8. Whoever does not love does not know God, because GOD IS LOVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM

145 posts, read 116,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why would you assume I am angry????
You just seem to have a harsh way of talking down many who you respond to. You make snide remarks and accusation in almost every post. I just sense a lot of hate and anger in you against those you cannot bully into accepting your views as correct. Nothing personal, just an observation of your actions and behavior. Perhaps if you care about others you should consider treating them with a little love once in a while. You seem to like to beat people over the head with the word but you don't seem capable of showing any!. Just my observations over short while I have been on the forum.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
I do not see what I asked about.
The best specific quote is 1 John 4:16. Where the middle clause is "God is love" the "love" is "agape" in the Greek. It is really the basic concept of what Jesus taught.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Of course I was not expecting you to show it to me since you did not make the claim. I was looking to see if one could support their claim or not. I can almost agree with the statement but I am not comfortable in my spirit with it and am trying to get at what is meant by the poster. But thanks for trying to help.
The truth is you know its right but you are not willing to let go of your handed down traditions about a tribal god of war who destroys his enemies at the drop of hat.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The best specific quote is 1 John 4:16. Where the middle clause is "God is love" the "love" is "agape" in the Greek. It is really the basic concept of what Jesus taught.
I was more concerned in the choice of wording. I notice the scripture does not say "the spirit of agapa love is God". It's a changing of the wording and I suspect a different intent to meaning.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:
I was more concerned in the choice of wording. I notice the scripture does not say "the spirit of agapa love is God". It's a changing of the wording and I suspect a different intent to meaning.
Well, the concept is fairly simple: agape I think is best defined as vested concern for the well-being of ALL people, and the point is that it is the defining characteristic of the Father Jesus showed us. What is the problem you see in that?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
With a username like yours, you would think there would be no problem witnessing to this without wavering.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, the concept is fairly simple: agape I think is best defined as vested concern for the well-being of ALL people, and the point is that it is the defining characteristic of the Father Jesus showed us. What is the problem you see in that?
I am seeing a potential problem with the way it was worded. I thought I said that. I know God is love but I cannot find scripture that say's it they way it was stated. "the spirit of agapa love is God". It seems to mean something more and the choice of wording gives me concern as to what is intended and where one can find it in scripture stated in that way.

While I agree that God is Love, I also recognize that Love is not the only attribute of God.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
With a username like yours, you would think there would be no problem witnessing to this without wavering.
You are another one who likes to come at someone personally. Let's keep this on a higher level and deal with the topic at hand and refrain from violations of the TOS.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
You are another one who likes to come at someone personally. Let's keep this on a higher level and deal with the topic at hand and refrain from violations of the TOS.
What did i say other than with a username like yours believing what is being explained to you should not be a problem to you, but for some reason it is. The scripture and its meaning is being rightly divided to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity