Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmyler View Post
Finn....What is your take of the Pastor agreeing to cancel at pressure from even a handful of members?
Can't say since I was not present when the discussion took place. Was there a church policy? I do not know, but if that is the case, then what choice do they have?

Quote:
What's interesting is that you defend the info you don't know, yet not respond to the facts that we do know.
No, you do not know what took place. All you know is what you read in the paper which aims to sensationalize the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 06:54 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Of all the unfeeling, hypocritical, mean spirited and callous things to do, 24 hours before the funeral AFTER the church agreed to hold it, just because they found out the deceased was gay.

If this is what being a "good christian" is all about, you can keep it.

Note the pastor cancelled after pressure from parishioners found out the deceased was gay and married. Obviously they were not filled with any holy spirit.

I am so disgusted by this, there are not enough superlatives to voice that disgust.

Tampa church cancels gay man's funeral - FOX 13 News
Not all Christians act like Christians, and many use the term "Christian" loosely, while they probably are not really a Christian. Jesus said "By their fruit you shall know them".

Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
I truly believe there are people in the church that do not understand how to approach this culture of homosexuality in a Biblical manner. I do not believe this type of response accomplishes anything. Nothing wrong with having his service, but I think the line should have been drawn with recognizing his marriage. The focus should have been on the person without condoning his lifestyle. There are plenty of things people do wrong in their lives, but they do not have be condoned in the service.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Not all Christians act like Christians, and many use the term "Christian" loosely, while they probably are not really a Christian. Jesus said "By their fruit you shall know them".
Indeed.

"I never knew you..."

Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Disgusting.

I wish I could also add "surprising" but I've become somewhat inured to American fundamentalist bigotry.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
As far as God is concerned, we are all sinners. According to the book of Matthew, Jesus said love your brother as you love yourself. Jesus is clear on how he feels about judging others. I wonder how many of them never broke a commandment. We can't choose what we want to believe in. All we can do is our best.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:45 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmyler View Post
Finn, did you read the article, the Pastor cancelled due to pressure from the members. Now none of us know that "every" member was in agreeance with this decision, but what do you think about the pastor agreeing to this at all?
That could have been a teachable moment for the pastor to this flock, "Everybody sins, and all sins are created equal." Let's see him turn away all sinners, no funeral for liars, or for you cheaters...

Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hold your unrighteous judgment Just because one or two church leaders makes such ruling, does not mean every single member of that church is unloving.
It was as a result of parishoners that the pastor cancelled the funeral.

That speaks badly of the members doesn't it?

Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
the man is not living, surely theres nothing more he can do , so why not have the funeral, sheesh!

Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It was as a result of parishoners that the pastor cancelled the funeral.

That speaks badly of the members doesn't it?
No, it says nothing about the majority of them, and it says nothing about whether or not they regretted the decision. No one here knows the full story, but it didn't stop people from judging the whole church as unloving and un-Christian. I think it says more about the people here, than it says about the ones at the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity