Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Once again, I never said such a thing. Perhaps you should re-read my post so you can fully understand what I said.

Our church is full of sinners, as is every church in the world. The difference is that Christians are not supposed to live in unrepentant sin, meaning they continue sinning even though they know it is wrong. It is perfectly normal for my wife to slip up and find herself caught up in gossip, however, she admits it is wrong, repents and seeks forgiveness from those that she may have hurt by her actions. This is the Holy Spirit at work in her.

This is completely different from someone who admits it is wrong but shows no repentance or desire to change from their sin.

One who is a new creature should be convicted by the Holy Spirit to repent from sin and grow stronger and closer to God daily, not reject God's Word and the authorities He commands us to submit to.
There is a verse or two that speaks to that concept

Jesus speaking to the adulterous woman. The Satanical spirit of falsehood claims
love ... love ... love .... agape love, nothing more than love.
And if you failed to get it don't worry you're gonna be restored anyway.
Those who listen to Jesus, hears all of what the Truth said. Jesus ended with:
Go now and leave your life of sin.
As stated in 1 Corinthians 6 (speaking of sexual immorality among other sins)
Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who
have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will
inherit the kingdom of God.

And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were
justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
" And that is what some of you were" is what occurs when following Jesus' words Go now and leave your life of sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
My church, as well as myself follow the teachings of Jesus.
Define teachings of Jesus, in fact do not bother if it is your church doctrine and not the golden rule love your neighbor as yourself

God grant me that when i look at my neighbor i am actually looking at myself magnified.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Maybe I missed it. Did someone in this thread propose that the church should be forced to do anything? It seemed to me that the o.p. was just expressing his disgust with the insensitivity of the action taken.
NO you did not miss anything. No one has suggested any such thing. All the reactions against the church and its members were for their insensitivity, lack of agape love and unkindness in their expression of their so-called Christian beliefs. Christ would never have done such a thing . . . but then too many Christians are so unlike Christ.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-08-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I think if they are living as if married then they are married. Who cares if they have the blessing of the State with a certificate. There were no such requirements in ancient times. Why does the church want to be married to the State?
You can certainly feel that way. They don't introduce each other as husband and wife, though. They would be the first to say they are not married.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Maybe I missed it. Did someone in this thread propose that the church should be forced to do anything? It seemed to me that the o.p. was just expressing his disgust with the insensitivity of the action taken.
No. No one here proposed that. Nor did I say so.

Edited to add: Condemning them for their behavior does imply to me a desire to see them behave in some way other than they did, though. With the government involvement in the Hobby Lobby case it's easy to envision a large number who think the same way pressuring the government regarding the behavior of churches.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Vizio, have any of you ever thought the old couple were living together because they are lonely or may need both incomes just to survive.you know, food, medicine, lutilities, mortgage? Did you actually ask them if they were having sex because it "appears" they are.
I recognize they are lonely. I'm all for them being together for companionship. I wholeheartedly think it's wonderful. But they should not be shacking up together. It's immoral.

It's not for an issue of money -- I know them--they have the means to live another way.

As for appearances? The Bible says to avoid any appearance of wrong. She claims to be a Christian, and she willingly comes to the church where I am pastor of, and I am charged with being the spiritual leader of. She does not have to come here, although we love her and hope she stays here.
Quote:
Are you asking all the veterans if they killed anyone in combat?? It "appears" they may have..being war and all.
I fail to see any relevance in that.
Quote:
Are you asking all the young people if they are having sex because they might "appear" to be?
If a 20 year old couple was living together I would approach it the exact same way. As a matter of fact, I have had that discussion with younger couples.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
No. No one here proposed that. Nor did I say so.
Okay.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Now let me guess ... you're assuming that these people are having sexual relations. Or did you just flat out ask them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's common knowledge they are not married. We live in a very small town, and people do talk.
Quote:
Wait ... didn't you just say that gossip isn't a good thing? But yet you're listening to it and basing a decision on it?
And...

Quote:
I ask you again ... if they are acting like a married couple, why do you think they OR God need you or the government to sanction that marriage?

Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As for appearances? The Bible says to avoid any appearance of wrong. She claims to be a Christian, and she willingly comes to the church where I am pastor of, and I am charged with being the spiritual leader of. She does not have to come here, although we love her and hope she stays here.
You are a perfect example of Christ!

Love without truth is the worst form of hypocrisy. The Scripture clearly teaches the correct, Godly way to deal with open sin in the church. It has its basis in love and a desire to see the person brought back into fellowship with God. Discipline is never enjoyable, whether in the church or in my own family. I take no pleasure in disciplining my children, but I do it because I love them, and because I love them my ultimate desire is to see them living the fullest lives they possibly can! The same is true for our brothers and sisters in the church. We love them enough to care for their spiritual well-being, so out of this love, we gently instruct them and pray that they submit to God's authority.

AS IT IS WRITTEN:
"Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently." (Gal 6:1)

Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
You are a perfect example of Christ!

Love without truth is the worst form of hypocrisy. The Scripture clearly teaches the correct, Godly way to deal with open sin in the church. It has its basis in love and a desire to see the person brought back into fellowship with God. Discipline is never enjoyable, whether in the church or in my own family. I take no pleasure in disciplining my children, but I do it because I love them, and because I love them my ultimate desire is to see them living the fullest lives they possibly can! The same is true for our brothers and sisters in the church. We love them enough to care for their spiritual well-being, so out of this love, we gently instruct them and pray that they submit to God's authority.
How do you know these people are committing a sin? According to Vizio, he's basing his judgment of them on GOSSIP. That's a perfect example of Christ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity