Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 01:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
But I can see a scenario whereby Vizio does not mention the marriage, as it is contrary to his beliefs, but that the husband delivers the eulogy.

Well that could end up being one interesting funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Apparently, you are more concerned with the outside of the cup for the sake of appearance?
Perhaps, you should shun those wicked thoughts of people living together?

And clean the inside of your own cup.
1 Corinthians 8. Please read it. Here is a key part to it:

Quote:
9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols?

Old 08-09-2014, 03:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Church cancels funeral for gay man - CNN.com Video

Pasture told mother of dead son his funeral would be blasphemous if they had it at their church because he's gay. Of course the funeral was only a day away, she found this out at the viewing.

Why would being gay matter if he is dead? Couldn't they just pray this away at the funeral??? It's not like burial is condoning his gayness. Are they forbidding him entrance to heaven with this action? I'm trying to understand how banning a gay funeral has anything to do with God not liking the act of being gay unless it's a refusal to enter the after life they believe in.

As an atheist this makes little sense seeing that murderers get funerals at churches. They just all do the prayer for forgiveness. Is not having a gay mans funeral the new objection to gay life? Or is this just a strange church request that's rare and picked up from the media?

As to why it was held at this church, apparently his family grew up in and attended that church. His partner thought this would be thoughtful for the family members since that is who would be alive to see it happen. Guess he was terribly wrong.

So, Theists, what kind of objection can you have to having a funeral for a dead gay person? Is this common with you or is this clergy man just nuts?
You are throwing darts at a board hoping something sticks. Unless you have proof that this particular church held a funeral for a murderer than your point has no merit. Just because a church claims to be Christian doesn't mean that it is. There are churches with varying views on this. You are putting all churches in the same box and assuming that they believe the same thing, which most of the time they do not.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again...I've done funerals for people I never met.

Doing a funeral does not involve stating that the deceased is a member in good standing, or that he was even a Christian, or suggesting that he was in Heaven. I'm not aware of any Biblical reason for not doing such a funeral. If a man came to me and said he wanted a funeral for his friend....I'd do the sermon and would not refer to his friend as his husband. Even though they weren't aware of the relationship, this was an opportunity to show love to the unchurched. I can't fathom why they'd turn it down.

Even if the man was open and up front about being his former gay lover....I'd still do the funeral, explaining that I could not in good conscience meniton them as married in the eulogy. I certainly would NOT stand there and rail on the guy, saying he was burning in hell....but it would be a fairly generic funeral, and I would preach the Gospel.
The Gospel that Jesus taught had a question to it:
Jesus said to her,
“I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die.

Do you believe this?”
I can not fathom someone who calls themself a Christian pastor who would mislead the hearers into thinking that the deceased who by their life answer declared from their heart to that question was "no".
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 NIV
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God?
Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who
have sex with men
nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will
inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ESV
Or do you not know that the unrighteous[a] will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,[b] 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
(a) Or wrongdoers
(b)The two Greek terms translated by this phrase refer to the passive and active partners in consensual homosexual acts
The purpose of a Christian funeral is to remind the non-deceased present (at the funeral service) is of the hope of the resurrection to life that deceased placed his\her faith in that (s)he will inherit the kingdom of Godand we the believer look forward to being united with the those fallen asleep in Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 .... God teaches no there will be no such reuniting and those who "die" in their sins will not see life.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 PM

11,285 posts, read 11,050,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again...I've done funerals for people I never met.

Doing a funeral does not involve stating that the deceased is a member in good standing, or that he was even a Christian, or suggesting that he was in Heaven. I'm not aware of any Biblical reason for not doing such a funeral. If a man came to me and said he wanted a funeral for his friend....I'd do the sermon and would not refer to his friend as his husband. Even though they weren't aware of the relationship, this was an opportunity to show love to the unchurched. I can't fathom why they'd turn it down.

Even if the man was open and up front about being his former gay lover....I'd still do the funeral, explaining that I could not in good conscience meniton them as married in the eulogy. I certainly would NOT stand there and rail on the guy, saying he was burning in hell....but it would be a fairly generic funeral, and I would preach the Gospel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I can not fathom someone who calls themself a Christian pastor who would mislead the hearers into thinking that the deceased who by their life answer declared from their heart to that question was "no".[indent]1 Corinthians 6:9-10 NIV
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God?
Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who
have sex with men
nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will
inherit the kingdom of God.

The purpose of a Christian funeral is to remind the non-deceased present (at the funeral service) is of the hope of the resurrection to life that deceased placed his\her faith in that (s)he will inherit the kingdom of Godand we the believer look forward to being united with the those fallen asleep in Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 .... God teaches no there will be no such reuniting and those who "die" in their sins will not see life.
You know the topic is divisive when Twin and Viz can't agree! Viz doesn't seem so fundamentalist now. I love gay threads! They bring out the absolute best in people!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
......I can not fathom someone who calls themself a Christian pastor who would mislead the hearers into thinking that the deceased who by their life answer declared from their heart to that question was "no".....
So, how sure are you that the deceased did not accept Christ in to his life on his death bed? Who are YOU to judge?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So, how sure are you that the deceased did not accept Christ in to his life on his death bed? Who are YOU to judge?
gee .... how about that, YOU care about not judging.

No one would have ever guessed by reading the OP ....

Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well that could end up being one interesting funeral.
That's for true.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
gee .... how about that, YOU care about not judging.

No one would have ever guessed by reading the OP ....
You supposedly are a christian, and believe christian things. I'm just reminding you of one of the tenets of your belief.

I make no pretense of believing in any omnipotent, sentient, anthropomorphic but invisible entity, nor give any veracity to 2-3000 year old myths promulgated by a wandering tribe of superstitious goat herders.

I get my spirituality by communing in places like this:

Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Beautiful view, cupper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity