Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
(Though I'm not sure why someone would frequent a place with teaching that you don't believe in.)
I have NO idea. I certainly wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Does this church discipline extend to your overweight parishioners? How about the people who cheat on their taxes? What happens to the gossipers?

If you're in sin do you ban yourself from the pulpit?
Being overweight is not sinful. If you disagree, can you cite chapter and verse?

As for people cheating on their taxes or gossipers? If/when I become aware of such a thing, it is addressed. In our board meeting last night someone started gossiping about someone having marital issues. I responded that gossiping about it won't help.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,416,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ah, you edited at the same time I was posting. Okay...

If they are acting as if they are a married couple, who are you to say that they aren't? Do you think they or God need the church or the government to sanction their marriage?

And. what do you mean they are acting like a married couple? What constitutes marriage in your mind? Living together in the same house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Seriously? Did your parents never have that discussion with you?
Guess you missed my post.

Now let me guess ... you're assuming that these people are having sexual relations. Or did you just flat out ask them?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ah, you edited at the same time I was posting. Okay...

If they are acting as if they are a married couple, who are you to say that they aren't? Do you think they or God need the church or the government to sanction their marriage?
It's common knowledge they are not married. We live in a very small town, and people do talk.
Quote:
And. what do you mean they are acting like a married couple? What constitutes marriage in your mind? Living together in the same house?
Pre-marital sex. Living together. The appearance of sinful behavior. Like it or not, the Christian is commanded to avoid any appearance of sin.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Does this church discipline extend to your overweight parishioners? How about the people who cheat on their taxes? What happens to the gossipers?
If you're in sin do you ban yourself from the pulpit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
It includes all sin. However, it is not a one-strike-and-your-out policy. Every attempt is made to bring the person back into fellowship with God and it is only after the individual has refused to submit to the leadership authority and Scripture does their membership get removed. It is not out of anger or spite, but it is a sad thing that must be done according to the Scripture. (See Matthew 18:15-17) They are not banned from the church or anything, they just aren't members anymore. (Though I'm not sure why someone would frequent a place with teaching that you don't believe in.)
Imagine that, Dew . . . a Church with no obese members, no tax cheats, no gossipers, no liars, no adulterers, no fornicators, etc. Amazing. Wonder how they know enough to expel the sinners.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,940,401 times
Quote:
I would suggest that a practicing lesbian needs to be treated the same as anyone living in a sinful relationship. They are welcome to come the church, to participate in the worship service. But I would not feel it's appropriate to extend membership to someone that is openly living as such. In my church, I am dealing with the issue of a 78 year old woman who is shacking up with her boyfriend. I am considering how to address it.
Well, you have two choices.

You can tell her, "You go girl".

OR

You can tell her, "You GO girl".

Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,416,454 times
Quote:
It's common knowledge they are not married. We live in a very small town, and people do talk.
Wait ... didn't you just say that gossip isn't a good thing? But yet you're listening to it and basing a decision on it?

Quote:
Pre-marital sex. Living together. The appearance of sinful behavior. Like it or not, the Christian is commanded to avoid any appearance of sin.
So, you know that they are having sex how? And whether they are or not, I ask you again ... if they are acting like a married couple, why do you think they OR God need you or the government to sanction that marriage?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,256,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Imagine that, Dew . . . a Church with no obese members, no tax cheats, no gossipers, no liars, no adulterers, no fornicators, etc. Amazing. Wonder how they know enough to expel the sinners.
Once again, I never said such a thing. Perhaps you should re-read my post so you can fully understand what I said.

Our church is full of sinners, as is every church in the world. The difference is that Christians are not supposed to live in unrepentant sin, meaning they continue sinning even though they know it is wrong. It is perfectly normal for my wife to slip up and find herself caught up in gossip, however, she admits it is wrong, repents and seeks forgiveness from those that she may have hurt by her actions. This is the Holy Spirit at work in her.

This is completely different from someone who admits it is wrong but shows no repentance or desire to change from their sin.

One who is a new creature should be convicted by the Holy Spirit to repent from sin and grow stronger and closer to God daily, not reject God's Word and the authorities He commands us to submit to.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A lengthy questionnaire?

"Please check all boxes that apply: Anal sex, homosexual sex, tax cheat, gossiper, glutton, complainer, mixes fabrics, told someone to go to hell, took the Lord's name in vain, shacking up, went to a stag party with a stripper, pays for lap dances, believes in evolution, thinks the Earth is five million years old, doesn't believe in talking snakes.........."

Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,331 times
Quote:
I told her just that. I'm ecstatic that she's found companionship. I greeted them both at the door to the church and welcomed them in. I also visited them in their home. I have no issue with them being in a relationship. But they are in sin by living together and acting as a married couple without being married. My concern is that the Bible tells us that we need to practice church discipline and call people to repentance.
I think if they are living as if married then they are married. Who cares if they have the blessing of the State with a certificate. There were no such requirements in ancient times. Why does the church want to be married to the State?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity