Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The author of Timothy is the apostle Paul. 2 Timothy is the last of Paul's writings and is dated to around A.D.67. Paul regarded what he said and wrote to be the word of God (1 Thessalonians 2:13) as did Peter (2 Peter 3:15-16) who equated Paul's writings as being as authoritative as the rest of the Scriptures which was a reference to the Old Testament Scriptures. Therefore, not only did Paul have in mind the Old Testament Scriptures in 2 Timothy 3:16, but also his own writings.
What a bunch of malarkey!! It is more likely that the authors of the gospels had Paul's letters than the other way around---certainly true of John, and certainly true of most of the other catholic letters. So Paul wasn't even aware of any written gospels nor of those later letters by other, unknown authors. The misguided fundamentalist thought is that once a holy writing was made anywhere, it spread as if over the internet rather than the laborious, time-consuming chore of (1) finding someone who wanted a copy, (2) finding someone who was literate enough to make a copy, and, (3) finding someone who would pay to make a copy. I'm sure some were done for free, but I suspect, like today, not many people would sit down with a borrowed copy ( (4) after finding someone to "loan" a copy) to handwrite out a copy--in the day or at night under candlelight when a single mistake could drip wax on parchment or knock over a candle to cause a burn!

But did Paul have in mind his own writing? Based on the amount of self-promotion shown in them, I certainly agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 10:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
Mike555 posted:

" 'Infallibility' means that the original autographs as written by the human writers of the Scriptures under the superintentance of the Holy Spirit are incapable of error and deception and therefore must be true. Since God is truth His word is incapable of being in error. Infallibility therefore implies inerrancy."

However, there are far to many extensive contradictions and errors in Christian scripture to maintain that they were only copyists' errors. The reasonable conclusion is that the Bible is the work of men, not God.
Can you provide some examples? Some actual examples that YOU come up with? Not just a copy/paste jobbie with 30 examples of supposed conflicts. If you'd like to have an actual discussion about it, let's talk.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The "pen" is influential, but it is not omnipotent or omniscient?
I'm sorry...the "what"?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:18 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you provide some examples? Some actual examples that YOU come up with? Not just a copy/paste jobbie with 30 examples of supposed conflicts. If you'd like to have an actual discussion about it, let's talk.
No reason to provide a dozen or so examples if you don't intend to consider them anyway. Once a fundamentalist has reached a position, it is frozen in concrete.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
The "pen" is influential, but it is not omnipotent or omniscient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry...the "what"?
A pen is a writing implement used to apply ink to a surface, usually paper, for writing or drawing.

Much like that of a painting, which can inspire you; creating an influence through that of perception.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
A pen is a writing implement used to apply ink to a surface, usually paper, for writing or drawing.

Much like that of a painting, which can inspire you; creating an influence through that of perception.
The discussion is of whether or not God inspired the Scriptures. Yes. He did. They are said to be "God-breathed". So...in light of that...what are you trying to say?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
What was your perception of the painting?

Your perception of the Scriptures are not the one that I hold?
Inspiration, does not mean inerrant or infallible, but there is value.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
BIBLE: Inspired, Inerrant, Infallible ??

Inspired: No more or less than any compilation of stories.

Inerrant: Certainly not.

Infallible: If it's not inerrant it can't be infallible.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Fundamentalists have recently started making much of the fact that the root of the word that means "inspired" is literally translated, "god breathed." The word was not made up by the writers of the different letters in the Bible to describe the process under which they worked, it was in use by the populace to describe the same thing we describe when we say "inspired" in terms of art or any other recording of history or story, and the "god" being referred to as doing the "breathing" was whichever muse was responsible for the particular art being employed by the person "inspired."

"Inspired" means nothing more than that the artist (or letter writer) was impelled to record what he perceived. There was a social convention that the muse provided the words or the lines of art in each case and that convention was used as a literary device but no one really believed it and there is no indication that anyone using the term meant anything more than the common understanding of the word.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:07 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Hi, Paul was not self promoting himself. He was a servant of the Lord and he suffered much for the Lord. He was given tremendous responsibility as an apostle, specifically to the Gentiles.. He loved the Lord and put Him first in all things. I am thankful that we have his inspired writings.

Philippians 3

3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, 4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.
7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and [f]the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.
12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus."

We should have the same attitude.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 09-20-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity