Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 04:28 PM

33,355 posts, read 26,582,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Son of God is a "title" Jesus has 103 different titles. He is the "Lamb" of God - does that mean he has four legs??

Lamb of God is another "Title".

How many Everlasting Father's are there? How many Mighty God's are there? Only One!!!

Otherwise I agree with everything you have written.

We know from John chapter 15 that the Holy Spirit will NEVER speak of Himself. He only speaks that which he "hears" from the Father. We know also from the Book of Isaiah that Jesus is "The Mighty God" Jesus is The Everlasting Father.
We know from Micah 5:2 That HE (Jesus) Is FROM - Everlasting. (He had no beginning).

Jesus Gives ALL GLORY to the Father - He always puts the Father above Himself !! Even though they are one in the same.

Thank you for your well written response!
I know that it is a title just as 'Son of Man' is a title.' The Father / Son relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity does not imply that there was a time when the deity of Christ did not exist. It simply denotes the special relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity. The three Persons of the Godhead have eternally co-existed. The First Person of the Trinity - God the Father is the author and planner of the plan of creation and salvation. He is the authority in that plan.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-04-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 04:40 PM

14,915 posts, read 17,232,628 times
I don't believe that we should put one another down for having a different belief on this subject. We may have a different understanding based on many things. What is the common thread that binds us together? Jesus died for us and was raised to life. We are believers and we have life in Him.

I agree though, that Jesus referred to His Father and His God, so they are not the same. One who has a God, is not the One and Only True God, although He exists in the form of God. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-04-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 PM

758 posts, read 852,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
You seem to have a lot of anger, and a love of multiple exclamation points and question marks.

The obvious question is if you're already set on your personal beliefs and don't want discussion then why post on a forum where the purpose is to have.... discussion? Seems illogical.

Anger? too many explanation points?

I guess you just don't like my style so you feel it is right to characterize me in a negative manner.

That's your problem - NOT MINE. Thanks for your input but it has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:22 PM

Concerning John 17:3, "The only true God."

John 17:3, "The only true God." | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
Excerpt:

'Second, the context of Jesus' comment was that He was speaking as a man to His God. Remember, Jesus is both God and man, second person of the Trinity, and the word made flesh (John 1:1, 14). Since He was both divine and man, as a man, He would naturally and properly say that His Father was the only True God. He was not denying His own divinity but affirming the Trueness of God as was done in the OT: 'And now, O Lord our God, deliver us from his hand that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that Thou alone, Lord, art God.' (Isaiah 37:20). The truth is that Jesus was a man made under the Law (Gal. 4:4); and as a man, He would be subject to God. Only in this case, Jesus was subject to the Father. That is why Jesus called the Father the only true God; but it is not a phrase that excludes Christ, for Christ Himself said, "Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58) and did not deny being called God by Thomas in John 20:28.'
Obviously I posted the above because I agree with it. Since the moment of His incarnation Jesus is both eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one Person (John 1:1 with John 1:14; Phil. 2:5-6 with Phil. 2:7-8). As a man Jesus referred to the Father as His God. The true God not in opposition to Himself who in His deity is co-equal with the Father in His nature or essence, but as opposed to all false gods and to those who are called gods by name or title, but not by nature.

The union of the two natures (deity and humanity) in the one Person of Jesus Christ is doctrinally referred to as the 'hypostatic union.'

DOCTRINE OF THE HYPOSTATIC UNION AND KENOSIS

Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
One God in Three Persons.

I really don't fully understand it but I fully accept it.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,458,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
I agree children seem to accept the truth better than MANY adults. And here's why, children for the most part will sit, and listen, With a pure and heart and untainted mind. And they're NOT at that age, (yet), where they refuse to learn, adults are, when they are in their selfish ways. they refuse to learn the truth even when it's placed before them. Many QUOTE John 1;1 to make their point, You post it this way, and the word was with (IN) God. Why? I've NEVER seen it put that way in ANY bible.
Adults have a hard time admitting they are wrong, their pastor is not teaching the truth, they are not speaking the truth and their church is teaching a falsehood. After all if that is so, what else do they have wrong and ..... they want to be saved and now doubt is cast on it.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:20 PM

I believe that the One and Only God is the True God and He is the God of Jesus, who is the Son. Jesus represents the One and Only True God in that He is the image of the One and Only True God and He exists in the form of God. He speaks for Him and this why He says "Before Abraham was, I am".

One who is an image and a form is not the True One but He represents the True One, just as a mirror represents a person or an object. It is not the actual person or object. One who has a God is not the Supreme One and Only True God. Jesus makes the distinction between Himself and His God.

John 17
Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal (aionios) life. This is eternal life (aionios), that they may know You, the only true God,and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Jesus speaks of Himself as the Son who was given authority over all flesh. The Father gave Him this authority. He did not possess this in Himself. He distinguishes Himself from the One and Only True God. The One and Only True God, sent Him.

Jesus says that He has a God and He is also subject to this God, who is His Father. God bless and peace.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

I believe that the One and Only God is the True God and He is the God of Jesus, who is the Son. Jesus represents the One and Only True God in that He is the image of the One and Only True God and He exists in the form of God. He speaks for Him and this why He says "Before Abraham was, I am".

One who is an image and a form is not the True One but He represents the True One, just as a mirror represents a person or an object. It is not the actual person or object. One who has a God is not the Supreme One and Only True God. Jesus makes the distinction between Himself and His God.

John 17
Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal (aionios) life. This is eternal life (aionios), that they may know You, the only true God,and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Jesus speaks of Himself as the Son who was given authority over all flesh. The Father gave Him this authority. He did not possess this in Himself. He distinguishes Himself from the One and Only True God. The One and Only True God, sent Him.

Jesus says that He has a God and He is also subject to this God, who is His Father. God bless and peace.
I already know what you believe Shanna. If you are unwilling to even make an attempt to understand the hypostatic union of Jesus and simply dismiss it, that's your choice. On this forum you have a lot of company.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Mike, I am just sharing my belief and my reasons for it, just as you are sharing your belief and your reasons for it. I believe that the concept of the Trinity is adding to what is revealed in the scriptures, but I am not condemning anyone for their belief. Why do you think that I need to try to understand what is described as the hypostatic union? What I believe does not take anything away from the Lord, Mike. It does not dim His glory, His majesty, His purpose, His reason for coming, His mission. It takes nothing away from Him. God bless.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Notes:

"Throughout His earthly ministry our Lord never proposed that His will should be followed. It was His mission to fulfill the will of Another. When entering into the world, He said, "Lo! I am arriving...to do Thy will, O God!" (Heb.10:7). This is one of His most gracious glories. Let us not rob Him of it, by making Him identical with the Deity in this regard. If we do He will vanish.

"Not My will, but Thine" is the illuminating flash which reveals the relation existing between the will of Christ and His God."
Christ Contrasted With Deity, by Adolph E Knoch

Jesus acknowledges that He has a God and He submits to Him in all things. And we are to follow this in our lives. Not our will, but the will of our Father, Our God. This should be our focus, our desire.

1 Cor. 15

27 For “He has put all things under His feet. But when He says “all things are put under Him,” it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted. 28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him..."

Jesus is under the Father, not equal to Him. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-04-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity