Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 05:48 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,030,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Very. And the question still was not answered.
Irony is when I ask you a question, you instead of answering my question, you ask me more questions to deflect. Yet you are upset about me not answering one question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:48 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,384,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I didn't lump them in with murders, I compared the two. If I compared you with a potato, say that you are brown like a potato, does that mean I am calling you a potato?

It isn't the point. I wasn't saying they are the same. I was making the point that having a small percentage of something doesn't mean it's not harmful or not, which was the point mensaguy was making.

Subjective. There is no answer that is factual.
You would be saying that I am LIKE a potato, and stating that there is a similarity. Homosexuals can be murderers. So can heterosexuals. You did not compare heterosexuals to murderers. It was implicit that you thought homosexuality was right up there with murder on the "harmful" scale and you cannot seem to explain how you draw this conclusion.

I think mensaguy meant that we didn't need to be alarmed that 2% of the population might not reproduce. How could that be harmful?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,384,852 times
Quote:
Irony is when I ask you a question, you instead of answering my question, you ask me more questions to deflect. Yet you are upset about me not answering one question.
Because it seems that you are skirting the issue.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Let me see...

Why must all humans reproduce? You already admitted earlier that sex isn't just for reproduction, so why are you hung up on that part of homosexuality? Reproduction is optional in ALL relationships. And, we have determined that homosexuals have a variety of means to reproduce if they choose to do so.
This is my last response on this topic to you.

Did I say all humans must reproduce?

I am not hung up on it, you keep asking me questions, so I am answering your questions. It's sin. I know you don't agree with that and perhaps do not understand that, but that is why I have my stance. Let's agree to disagree. Asking me more questions isn't going to change my answer.

Quote:

I think I see the problem. You are hung up on body parts.

Plenty of heterosexuals engage in oral and/or anal sex with their partners. Many of them are Christians.

This is how homosexuals have sex. Where is the problem, exactly?

That it grosses you out? I'm not seeing what universal truth you are attempting to cling to here.
The definition of love is in the dictionary. Do you have a special one that says "except for homosexuals?"
No actually you don't see the problem and that is the problem. You are in denial and looking for me to validate your beliefs. If you didn't care what I thought you would have moved on long ago.

Look at my answer above, that is all I have to say about your questions here.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 PM

16,754 posts, read 15,802,866 times
Quote:
Yes murderers do harm that is why the amount of them, does not determine if they should be ignored or not. That is why the amount of how many does something doesn't mean we should ignore something that is wrong. Mentioning that 2 percent of a population does something, so because that number is so small, we should not care is completely irrelevant and a flawed argument.
You got that totally wrong in several different ways.

The issue was not whether the small number of murderers makes it OK. The point was that murder causes harm to other people while homosexual couples do not.

The 2% of the population was mentioned because you seem to be fixated on reproduction, so the point was made that whether 2% of the population reproduces makes virtually no difference to the future of humanity.

There is nothing flawed about either.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Because it seems that you are skirting the issue.
But asking questions after you are being asked questions isn't you skirting an issue? Okay, thank you.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You got that totally wrong in several different ways.

The issue was not whether the small number of murderers makes it OK. The point was that murder causes harm to other people while homosexual couples do not.

The 2% of the population was mentioned because you seem to be fixated on reproduction, so the point was made that whether 2% of the population reproduces makes virtually no difference to the future of humanity.

There is nothing flawed about either.
Then why would you bring up the fact that they only make 2% of the population?

If they are not harming anyone, according to you, then the percentage of the population that they make up does not matter. You brought it up and again it's irrelevant. If they do no harm, they do no harm, but clearly you don't really believe that.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,301,058 times
Quote:

You are quicker to defend people who disrespect your god than people who believe in the same one you claim. .
Well, let's see.... I've defended, on this forum, a Mormon, at couple of Pagans, a Muslim, several atheists, a hippie, members of the Jewish faith, at least one Episcopalian, a Native American, members of the LGBT community, someone who actually liked Disco and a couple of people I suspect are Republicans.

Oh, and Jerry Brown. I defended him a couple of days ago and he came thisclose to becoming a Jesuit priest.

Sounds about right. I stand up for people, and for my friends, when I think it's the right thing to do.

p.s. He's not "my" God. I don't own Him.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-08-2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,753,173 times
Quote:
Yes murderers do harm that is why the amount of them, does not determine if they should be ignored or not. That is why the amount of how many does something doesn't mean we should ignore something that is wrong. Mentioning that 2 percent of a population does something, so because that number is so small, we should not care is completely irrelevant and a flawed argument.
The problem with that lack of knowledge is that 98% of us believe murder is wrong--and we didn't need the Bible to tell us that. On the other hand 59% of Americans are now in favor of allowing gay marriage. But the 41% maintain it is "harmful," without ever being able to tell us in what way.

So has the number of gay marriages impacted the quality of your personal life--and in what way? It hasn't. You just want to have someone to point your finger at--and that is the hypocrisy of fundamentalism which never does any introspection. It's because you excuse the sin in your life while focusing on those "other" people.

A real Christian is introspective constantly. Finding their own sins and not judging them any less harmful or "deviant" than any other person's sin. That was the entire message of Jesus--look into your own heart--and, if you were one of the "religious" of that day (the Pharisees)--stop the hypocrisy because it just makes one a part of the "brood of vipers" He spoke against.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 PM

16,754 posts, read 15,802,866 times
Quote:
Then why would you bring up the fact that they only make 2% of the population?

If they are not harming anyone, according to you, then the percentage of the population that they make up does not matter. You brought it up and again it's irrelevant. If they do no harm, they do no harm, but clearly you don't really believe that.
Of course its relevant. Because you kept talking about reprorducing the the human species being the primary reason for marriage, I checked to see if the fact that homosexuals nor reproducing had any measurable affect on population growth. They don't.

And, BTW, as I said before, no, they are not harming anyone. However, also as I said before, murderers do plenty of harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity