Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(more like hundreds)
come now, twin, we have already gone through this. i know that our discussion never returned a definite number, but the lowest we saw was something like 3,000, was it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
imbobbbb,
That's the formula for the 'thousands' (more like hundreds) of different 'Christian' denominations. God's Word does one of two things, either it changes you or you change it. Either you accept what it says, or fit it into your own reason or comfort zone. Ironically, when people don't believe what Gods Word says, they are perplexed about how many different denominations there are and end up questioning God. Like God had something to do with it.
Simply the difference between Christian and\or non-Christian denominations can be summed up in these passages:

1 Corinthians 1:18
"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

1 Corinthians 1:21
"For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe."

1 Corinthians 1:23
"but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,"

1 Corinthians 1:25
"For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

1 Corinthians 2:14
"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."

It is not Gods fault that most people don't believe.....
hmmm...i dont dispute the truth in any of those passages,and i doubt that many mormans,catholics,methodists,baptists,lutherans,et c. would either.i guess the disagreement comes from which one of us actually 'doesnt accept the things that come from the spirit of God'...i guess who the one that 'cant understand them' actually is will be settled eventually by God.i think i do believe what it says and am not perplexed at all by the bible.its people who constantly feel the need to belittle others understanding of God in the name of God that perplex me

Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Hey Twin, if this is all it takes, then anyone and everyone that believes in Jesus as our savior is a Christian, regardless of denomination. And I definitely agree with it.
HsvMike,
On the surface, this would be a correct statement. But if my memory is correct, you're of the LDS faith. Hopefully, that isn't the case. As all of the LDS here on this forum knows, there are many of us who will challange that your statement is not offical LDS doctrine nor practices and is subject to definition.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
come now, twin, we have already gone through this. i know that our discussion never returned a definite number, but the lowest we saw was something like 3,000, was it not?
Aaron,
It was something like that world wide. Honestly, I would question that those who comprised that list if they really know what Christian teaching is. Like imbobbb put it, I would venture to say that many on the list can hardly be called "christian". Besides, that wasn't my main point.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
hmmm...i dont dispute the truth in any of those passages,and i doubt that many mormans,catholics,methodists,baptists,lutherans,et c. would either.i guess the disagreement comes from which one of us actually 'doesnt accept the things that come from the spirit of God'...i guess who the one that 'cant understand them' actually is will be settled eventually by God.i think i do believe what it says and am not perplexed at all by the bible.its people who constantly feel the need to belittle others understanding of God in the name of God that perplex me
If I fall into the "need to belittle others" in your comment, then so be it.

Jesus said "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth" John 17:17

"No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light." Matthew 5:15

Our pastors go through 4 years of pastoral college then 4 years of seminary. The sem years focus on learning to read the original languages in the context written and learn latin. Why? To santify means to make holy. Therefore it is most important to know accurately the word. Does that make me better than you, no.

You are correct, much of the questions will be answered in when we stand in front of God. By then it will be too late for those who believed false teachings and I don't want for anybody.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,726 times
Quote:
HsvMike,
On the surface, this would be a correct statement. But if my memory is correct, you're of the LDS faith. Hopefully, that isn't the case. As all of the LDS here on this forum knows, there are many of us who will challange that your statement is not offical LDS doctrine nor practices and is subject to definition.
Yes I am LDS, sorry to disappoint ya. You said it yourself that we can't take away or add anything to God's word, correct? So how can that be the case just "on the surface"? Honestly who would know more about the LDS church, a member or non-member?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Yes I am LDS, sorry to disappoint ya. You said it yourself that we can't take away or add anything to God's word, correct? So how can that be the case just "on the surface"?
Yes I'm disappointed, because of the meaning of words and correct faith that is connected to that and you know that.

"everyone that believes in Jesus as our Savior is a Christian", this has a totally different meaning to the LDS than from what the Bible teaches, (Mike as if you haven't heard that before.)

Who are you saying that to? Those who are weak in faith, not know what the Bible teaches? Those who just blindly accept somebody confession without checking out for themselves if its true? I know that the LDS doctrine about the person of Jesus, unbelief of the trinity, that "savior" has a different connotation than as the way Jesus taught in the Bible. I could no more fool you to think I'm a professional realtor than you could me about the LDS being a Christian Church that preaches "Christ crucified" 1 Corinthians 1:23, "By faith not works"

If you believe your own statement, then read this from Paul (exchange the word LDS for Galatians)

Galatians 3:1-3 (New International Version)
Galatians 3

Faith or Observance of the Law

1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

I know of no harsher warning in the Bible that speaks to the LDS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike
Honestly who would know more about the LDS church, a member or non-member?
Honestly, why do the words of former LDS members of numerous years have no validity?

Last edited by twin.spin; 05-21-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,144,441 times
Quote:

Honestly, why do the words of former LDS members of numerous years have no validity?
They don't but the words of antagonistic, bitter former members with an axe to grind against the church do.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
They don't but the words of antagonistic, bitter former members with an axe to grind against the church do.
Is it not possible to discern those who have and not have an axe? Then why not be open to those without an axe?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
i think that we're getting caught up in a tangent, as i do not believe that 'nonmember' referred to ex-members, just those that aren't familiar with the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity