Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM

50,112 posts, read 20,872,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
One step forward, ten steps backward. Sounds reasonable.
The last Pew figures rather indicated two steps forward for disbelief, none back. Keep telling yourself comfy fairy -tales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
How is it ten steps backwards?
Same as everything else - reality is whatever it suits them to believe.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-16-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 01:02 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,356,054 times
Quote:
You're probably losing as many as you are converting. That's most often the case.
Converting?

What are you even talking about? I'm not trying to "convert" anyone.

Nice choice of words btw, it's almost as if you believe that Atheism is a religion. Who's taking bets?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,130,932 times
Quote:
But you don't believe in it. Why should you worry about something in which you do not believe? That makes no sense at all. I don't care what you believe about a particular scripture. It doesn't cost me a dime.
Not especially worried. It is a subject I am somewhat knowledgeable about. I am interested in how the scriptures came about and what the authors intended to be understood. Why can I not discuss it? I do not bash religion or the religious. Why should anyone be worried about what I have to say?

And if you do not care what others have to say, what are you doing here?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
From what I can readily determine, atheists are simply a group of folks who are obsessed with poking their collective noses into other people's business. They are like a bunch of busy-bodied meddling old women. They are so insecure in their own skin that they simply have to get into someone else's skin and run their affairs.
Damn' that's brilliant I haven't laughed at a Christian post like that for I don't know how long..another as good and I promise I'll rep you

Old 01-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
You're probably losing as many as you are converting. That's most often the case.
Amazing, this pure speculation - in fact more desperate lashing out - presented in the wording of the careful researcher. I'm just enjoying your posts so much.

Quote:
I'm already over it. I'm not trying to preach to or convert anyone. I'll leave that to you atheists.
We will do our best to help those who are doubting to come to reason sooner, with or without your permission, old son.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:10 PM

18,534 posts, read 9,226,696 times
Quote:
The OP's prove you wrong. The mere fact that atheists are obsessed with something they swear to not exist leads one to question their collective sanity.
THB,

Did you read my post? I outined in great detail why some atheists take issue with some forms of religion, including some forms of Christianity.

Just to reiterate: religion is often used as a bullying tactic. Humans have learned how to use the fear of death and the fear of the unknown to manipulate and control people.

From Wikipedia: "bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others." Don't like Wikipedia? Find a dictionary or other encyclopedia of your choice and look it up.

Religions that tell people they will be tortured forever after they die if they don't "obey" or "believe what they're told to believe" are engaging in bullying. It's that simple.

The schoolyard bully says, "give me your lunch money or I will beat you up after school." The religious bully says, "believe what I tell you to believe or something terrible will happen to you after you die."

The God of the bible is essentially the Ultimate Bully. If you don't obey him unconditionally, he will torture you forever after you die. And the bible is full of examples of God personally killing large numbers of people much like a genocidal dictator.

Teaching that stuff to anyone, especially vulnerable members of society (the grieving, the dying, children, the elderly, etc) is harmful to both individuals and society.

When a child is programmed with irrational and fearful beliefs, the damage can last a lifetime. In some cases, that person can actually become psychologically dependent on their religion, to the point where anyone who questions their religion is perceived as an enemy.

Now do you see why some atheists attack some forms of religion?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:12 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,022,163 times
Maybe deep deep deep down inside their heart of hearts, they know they have a direct connection with God and are crying out for help.
It's kind of like a teenager whose parents have to work all the time to support their family and the teen keeps getting into trouble to get at least some attention from his parents.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
But you don't believe in it. Why should you worry about something in which you do not believe? That makes no sense at all. I don't care what you believe about a particular scripture. It doesn't cost me a dime.
I'll say it again, it is the influence of religion that concerns us, rather than the religion itself. You say you don't care what we believe, but here you are on a thread that was started by a Christian apparently to hear what we had to say, and you are typing post after post slamming us. Why, if you don't care a dime what we think?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,022,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The God of the bible is essentially the Ultimate Bully. If you don't obey him unconditionally, he will torture you forever after you die. And the bible is full of examples of God personally killing large numbers of people much like a genocidal dictator.
That is not the God of the Bible in the bolded sentence above.

The Bible is full of examples of nations personally killing large numbers of Israelites much like a genocidal dictator. So God returns their evil upon their heads much like the United States did for 9/11.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:17 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,356,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe deep deep deep down inside their heart of hearts, they know they have a direct connection with God and are crying out for help.
It's kind of like a teenager whose parents have to work all the time to support their family and the teen keeps getting into trouble to get at least some attention from his parents.
Yeah, uh, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity