Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,970 times

Advertisements

[quote=Julian658;38610406]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

The Pope is just a man. He is only infallible if he speaks for the Church after a lot of deliberations and councils. Otherwise, when the Pope speaks he is no different than anyone else. I just want to clear all the misinformation.

You say tradition does not work for me and that is OK. However, it must be weird going thru life with no traditions. How are you able to pull that out?

Why do you dislike the church?
I have no misinformation about the Pope, or what he represents. Holding to tradition for traditions sake, means we do it because we always did it this way. It stunts the growth.

In my family we have adapted and change up our traditions. I am not bound by tradition.

Remember when the mass used to be in Latin? Remember the uproar?
How about when women no longer had to cover their heads?
Remember when women wearing pants were not allowed at mass?
Remember when Mary was a sl+t?
Remember when the nuns had to only wear those heavy burka's?

Years long traditions, all changed.

I dislike any organization willing to deny women equal status. I dislike any organization not recognizing the LGBT community. I dislike any organization willing to protect priest pedophiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 01:57 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
This topic is back in the news this week when Pope Francis reiterated the same remarks he made in 2014 and 2016.

Reported in the WaPo on 06 Jan 2022.

Similar article appeared in the NY Times the same day.

A subsequent article in the WaPo asks "Is Pope Francis Right About Babies and Pets"

WaPo and NY Times are paywall sites.

There have been several articles in recent months in both papers about a "baby bust" as birth rates drop.

My take is as follows:

These are tone-deaf remarks by the Pope, or any Pope, and are insulting on many levels.

He has no idea what it's like to work for a living in a global economy that has billions of people living a few paychecks from being homeless.

- Who can plan a family when there's almost no job security anywhere?
- Who can plan a family when there's a deadly pandemic occurring?
- Who can plan a family when major economies oscillate between ever more frequent boom and bust cycles?
- Who can afford a family with an obscene and growing wealth disparity?
- Who can raise a family without proper health care for pregnant women and new infants?
- Who can plan their life when government see-saws between being supportive of family life (Build Back Better Plan) or flips into snarling libertarian social darwinism of every man for himself (If elected, on day one I'll kill the ACA and take health care away from 20M people).

Speaking of kids and family planning -- Popes should review the history inside the walls of their own Vatican enclave where the Catholic Church decided not to include birth control pills and condoms into their doctrine for family planning. Failure to lead the way in 1968 resulted in at least 98% of Catholics now using the birth control pill and condom for family planning purposes even though not condoned by Vatican doctrine. We've all been left to fend for ourselves without guidance and covering overhead.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...0contraception

So, is the Pope right about babies and pets? No.

Back in 1968 they had the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of new science (the pill) so they could lead their people forward, but as shown in the linked article we can see how they lacked the courage of their convictions.

Now we have a Pope whining about people loving their pets (since they can't afford children). Good grief.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:48 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Pope Francis said that couples who opt not to have children are being "selfish" as he spoke of a "greedy generation" that's choosing not to procreate. The pontiff's remarks come just weeks after he seemed to send a contradictory message, telling Catholics that they don't need to breed "like rabbits."

Speaking at his general audience in St. Peter's Square on Wednesday, Francis talked on the joy of children and their importance in society, at one point reminiscing about his own mother.

Couples Who Choose Not To Have Children Are 'Selfish,' Pope Says : The Two-Way : NPR

I chose not to have children JD, and I have never regretted that decision. I can understand the Popes statement however, as I was able to retire at age 59, and if I would have used my brain much earlier. I didn't do it out of selfishness however, and I believe I can say that many choose to have children because of selfishness. I can truthfully say that many have said to me who is going to take care of you in your old age. Many have children with that in mind.

I didn't have children because of the conditions of the world, simply put. If we are still allowed to have children when the Kingdom comes, then there is little doubt I will pursue it. I did have a couple of God children, but little contact with them now, but it was quite enjoyable doing things together when they were little.

As far as being taken care of, I don't worry about it much, I have been in the winter of my life for a while now, and realize that I likely don't have much time left, the next step for my wife and I will be assisted living like most elderly ones.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
I chose not to have children JD, and I have never regretted that decision. I can understand the Popes statement however, as I was able to retire at age 59, and if I would have used my brain much earlier. I didn't do it out of selfishness however, and I believe I can say that many choose to have children because of selfishness. I can truthfully say that many have said to me who is going to take care of you in your old age. Many have children with that in mind.

I didn't have children because of the conditions of the world, simply put. If we are still allowed to have children when the Kingdom comes, then there is little doubt I will pursue it. I did have a couple of God children, but little contact with them now, but it was quite enjoyable doing things together when they were little.

As far as being taken care of, I don't worry about it much, I have been in the winter of my life for a while now, and realize that I likely don't have much time left, the next step for my wife and I will be assisted living like most elderly ones.
Interesting post - thanks.

For the record, the most selfish person I know chose not to have kids, and now she's been trying for years to wedge her way into my family because I have four kids and many grandkids and she loves our family and doesn't want to be alone in her old age. Was she selfish for not having kids? I don't know but I suspect selfishness did play a part in her earlier decision. And it was a decision - she and her husband chose not to have kids, and not for the good of the world, but instead because he didn't want any more kids (he had three from a previous marriage) and she didn't want any kids at all so she could travel and all that good stuff. Now she's alone and regretting many of her life choices.

Her sister waited till she was in her late forties to have kids. Her late forties. Sheeze! By that time I was having literal nightmares about being pregnant! LOL

Anyway, her sister lives in France and she lives in the US and they're not close so she doesn't know those kids.

Her husband has died. She has no kids. She has no grandkids. She's not close to her step kids. She lives alone. She hates it. She's 69 but nearly frantic trying to find another husband.

You or your wife will likely end up alone. Not many couples die simultaneously. I'm sure you've figured that out though!

Old 01-11-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting post - thanks.

For the record, the most selfish person I know chose not to have kids, and now she's been trying for years to wedge her way into my family because I have four kids and many grandkids and she loves our family and doesn't want to be alone in her old age. Was she selfish for not having kids? I don't know but I suspect selfishness did play a part in her earlier decision. And it was a decision - she and her husband chose not to have kids, and not for the good of the world, but instead because he didn't want any more kids (he had three from a previous marriage) and she didn't want any kids at all so she could travel and all that good stuff. Now she's alone and regretting many of her life choices.

Her sister waited till she was in her late forties to have kids. Her late forties. Sheeze! By that time I was having literal nightmares about being pregnant! LOL

Anyway, her sister lives in France and she lives in the US and they're not close so she doesn't know those kids.

Her husband has died. She has no kids. She has no grandkids. She's not close to her step kids. She lives alone. She hates it. She's 69 but nearly frantic trying to find another husband.

You or your wife will likely end up alone. Not many couples die simultaneously. I'm sure you've figured that out though!

That was precisely my point Kathy, on the many comments I have had about not having kids. I am 67 now, loved tremendously by my wife and our dog, who as far as the love aspect goes is almost as good as kids, I just wish she could talk, would make things so much easier.

Being Jehovah's witnesses we have lots of friends, it is very unlikely to be alone, but that does not mean that we are immune to loneliness. If Jesus does not return soon, most likely my wife and I will come to our demise in a nursing home. Our funerals are paid for, and hopefully the pain factor of those who grieve for us will be kept to a minimum, since we chose not to have children. I still grieve for my parents, even though I have great hope that I will see them restored.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:19 AM

182 posts, read 119,966 times
Child-less man says others are selfish for not having kids

Old 01-11-2022, 06:32 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Pope Francis said that couples who opt not to have children are being "selfish" as he spoke of a "greedy generation" that's choosing not to procreate. The pontiff's remarks come just weeks after he seemed to send a contradictory message, telling Catholics that they don't need to breed "like rabbits."

Speaking at his general audience in St. Peter's Square on Wednesday, Francis talked on the joy of children and their importance in society, at one point reminiscing about his own mother.

Couples Who Choose Not To Have Children Are 'Selfish,' Pope Says : The Two-Way : NPR

Has he seen the reality of this world? Who would want to bring a child into the darkness and hate of this world. It will continue to get worse. Ask him why they outright refuse to teach the permanent fix to those in Africa whose children starve to death= Matthew 6--6:33--Jesus promises his Father would provide-sustenance, covering, spirituality to any who apply Matt 6:33--he has failed both Jesus and those that listen to his darkness.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
did the Pope really say breed like rabbits?does not sound popely to me?

Old 01-11-2022, 11:25 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
MoJo, I recall being in a Catholic church in 1972 when my sister married a Catholic boy and I distinctly heard the priest ask them to commit to "accept children willingly from God" as part of their vows. There has always been a "be fruitful and multiply" aspect to western religions which has resulted in some very large family sizes in generations past.

My sister and I are from a family of four, her groom came from a family of eight; they limited their family to two children as that was about all they could afford on their pay as a hair dresser and a block/bricklayer. My wife and I limited our family to zero children.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohilus View Post
Child-less man says others are selfish for not having kids

Perhaps that was the reason he chose not to have children. I am 67 yrs old, and I have never regretted not having children. Some of that is for selfish reasons, but mostly it was out of love for them.

When God's Kingdom comes, I intend to have children, if we are allowed to do so, but with the vast majority of the world living in opposition to Jehovah, I wouldn't want my children to have to live in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity