Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM

368 posts, read 391,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The pomp, the hats, the gowns the rings belong in museums.
When a member of your family gets married, do you tell her that a traditional item of clothing for a bride, and a ring, is out of place and inappropriate?

Do you think that the uniforms and strict ceremony observed by the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arllington are bad, wrong, and something that needs to be trashed?

Or do you only have objections to tradition and ceremony and dong things beautifully and with appropriate decorum when it comes to the worship of almighty God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
When a member of your family gets married, do you tell her that a traditional item of clothing for a bride, and a ring, is out of place and inappropriate?

Do you think that the uniforms and strict ceremony observed by the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arllington are bad, wrong, and something that needs to be trashed?

Or do you only have objections to tradition and ceremony and dong things beautifully and with appropriate decorum when it comes to the worship of almighty God?

I prefer my pomp from preachers to be simple pomp. Nothing too flashy. No red shoes, no ring to kiss. No rolex watches, or thousand dollar suits, and custom shirts. Give me a preacher in an old dented up beater car. I have seen far to many new and shiny, and golden.

Those same preachers tell me I am a sinner. They tell me they care for the poor.

Then there is secular pomp. Weddings, and military, scouts, the parades. I am okay with secular pomp.

Honestly, I am the last person to tell a bride what to wear. I was married in monster slippers and a knee length silk dress. I am still hoping it will catch on.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Catholic doctrine may hold him infallible, but he does not. It really comes out in him. I like the man, not his church.

Funny thing, Viz, if feel the same about Jesus. Love the man, dislike the church.

The pomp, the hats, the gowns the rings belong in museums. Then again there is the art of the Vatican and the stained glass of Cathedrals. I can appreciate the beauty.
Then he does not agree with Catholic doctrine, if that is the case.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Then he does not agree with Catholic doctrine, if that is the case.
Incorrect.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,726 times
Two weeks ago he was quoted as saying people need to not produce children like rabbits.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Two weeks ago he was quoted as saying people need to not produce children like rabbits.
The Pope is a man not a god.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:58 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
[quote=RonkonkomaNative;38592928]Catholic doctrine may hold him infallible, [\quote]

Infallibility only applies to matter doctrine and issues of morality. And the pope must male it clear he is speaking from the chair of Saint Peter. This is actually extremely rare in the history of the Church. Otherwise, the Pope is as fallible as anyone else in the planet

Quote:
It really comes out in him. I like the man, not his church.

Funny thing, Viz, if feel the same about Jesus. Love the man, dislike the church.
Those that dislike religion tend to feel superior to others, I get it.

Quote:
The pomp, the hats, the gowns the rings belong in museums. Then again there is the art of the Vatican and the stained glass of Cathedrals. I can appreciate the beauty.

It seems you are mostly a non-traditional person. However, others love tradition, particularly OLD traditions.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 AM

[quote=Julian658;38603112]
Quote:
Catholic doctrine may hold him infallible, [\quote]

Infallibility only applies to matter doctrine and issues of morality. And the pope must male it clear he is speaking from the chair of Saint Peter. This is actually extremely rare in the history of the Church. Otherwise, the Pope is as fallible as anyone else in the planet

Those that dislike religion tend to feel superior to others, I get it.

It seems you are mostly a non-traditional person. However, others love tradition, particularly OLD traditions.

I come from OLD, OLD, OLD tradition. I find doing things just because it is tradition does not work for me. Telling me about the poor while wearing gold and jewels, capes and miters, does not work for me either.

Disliking the church is hardly the same as disliking religion.

Instead of telling me I feel superior, ask me. Instead of telling me I dislike religion, ask me. You have answered a question you never asked. hahahahahaha

Old 02-26-2015, 11:34 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.. errr the popemobile.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
[quote=RonkonkomaNative;38605489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

I come from OLD, OLD, OLD tradition. I find doing things just because it is tradition does not work for me. Telling me about the poor while wearing gold and jewels, capes and miters, does not work for me either.

Disliking the church is hardly the same as disliking religion.

Instead of telling me I feel superior, ask me. Instead of telling me I dislike religion, ask me. You have answered a question you never asked. hahahahahaha
The Pope is just a man. He is only infallible if he speaks for the Church after a lot of deliberations and councils. Otherwise, when the Pope speaks he is no different than anyone else. I just want to clear all the misinformation.

You say tradition does not work for me and that is OK. However, it must be weird going thru life with no traditions. How are you able to pull that out?

Why do you dislike the church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity